I saw "the big one"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sure enough, he's the biggest buck I've seen in quite some time. I've certainly not seen him previously. Makes the buck I shot a couple days ago look like an underachiever(an he was a bragging rights 11 point/5x6 western count). While taking an observation loop on the UTV, I noticed a deer standing on the hillside above a stock pond and put the bino's on it. Silhouetted by the rising sun and a contrasting background, I got a great view. I'm guessing a 24" spread but I couldn't count the points due to the angle. I didn't want to spook him so moved on leaving him standing there. Something to look forward to in 24. If he stays in/around the location where he was this morning, no one is going to bother him.

He may well have been around for a while. At Eglin AFB the deer know when the season starts. Just before they begin to congregate around the runways. They've learned they are safe from everything except aircraft. Wasn't uncommon to chase deer off the runways there.

Between deer chasing and gator wrangling (to get them off roads) some days we felt more like animal control than firemen.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Missouri has some dandys. I did alot of sùburban bowhunting in NW Kansas City Missouri river bluffs and farmed drainages like Platte river west and north of the city.
I watched a palmated antler 10pt with huge browtines with stickers breed a doe one evening bow hunting. There were Simmental cattle in that pasture and his body was the same size as the steers. I found a rubbed 12" cedar tree that he had shoved those big brow tines into, twisted his head and split the tree wide open. Game ranger had pics of him and thought he was at least 25" inside and main beams between G1 & G2 was 1 1/2" diameter. They were keeping a close eye on him and other big deer south of KCI airport because of poachers.
Julie and I saw the same buck late winter walking along the highway fence in deep snow.

Quite a day today. I saw a total of 5 bucks but only 2-3 does (and I wasn't even hunting).
I had to chuckle at one of the non-local hunters I know. Not sure what his problem is ( I know he's not mobility challenged) but he drives his vehicle right up to his elevated 'deer house'. Now, a full sized white pickup doesn't have any camouflage advantages so most hunters wouldn't want such an obvious vehicle sitting next to their blind.
Anyhoo, I'm driving along the county road 1/4 mile from this guy's deer house and see a decent size 8 point chasing a doe right behind the blind. I stopped to look at the buck and maybe pressure him to move to the front side of the blind but Mr. Buck just stood watching me. Finally the doe got nervous and took off (still on the backside of the blind) and Bucky followed, bouncing along through the shoulder high grass. The deer crossed 200yards of grass and hopped the fence apparently w/o the hunter noticing them.

Latest posts