My wife cant shoot our P-95!! ... Solved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ESPMike

Bearcat
I had a similar problem with my wife at the range today. I just picked up an SR9, partially because the thin profile fit in her hand as well, and I wanted something she was comfortable handling. Shot it for the first time today, I ran about 30 rounds through it shooting like a champ, accurate, smooth trigger, great. I handed it to my wife for a turn, she enters a new mag, racks the slide, and fires off 3 rounds. After the thirds, we noticed the slide didn't sit all the way back forward, about 1/8 of an inch locked back. She racked the slide, and fired again, same thing. I took it from her, racked it again, and finished the clip without a problem. I fired another full mag through it without an issue, but soon as she took it back same problem. This turned out to be the story of the day. We each fired about 100 rounds through it, didn't jam once for me, and she never made it more then 4 rounds without having this problem. We were shooting with a buddy, and she fired his department issue sig with no issues except for stuggling the control the bigger grip, but nothing jamming, soon as she went back to the SR9, every couple of shots. I guess if something good came out of it she got very comfortable racking the slide and getting a fresh round in the chamber, and she loved shooting it when it was working for her.

Any ideas?

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
In case some of you dudes haven't taken the time to notice, there are certain design differences between men and women. Just let a woman be a woman and quit insisting that she master something that she's not inherently designed to do. Just get her a can of pepper spray and let her alone. Why is this so hard for some guys to comphrehend? :roll:

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Anthony Williams":18winon4 said:
In case some of you dudes haven't taken the time to notice, there are certain design differences between men and women. Just let a woman be a woman and quit insisting that she master something that she's not inherently designed to do. Just get her a can of pepper spray and let her alone. Why is this so hard for some guys to comphrehend? :roll:

Probably for the same reason that its so hard for some guys to comprehend that some girls LIKE shooting. :roll:

My wife WANTS to shoot the gun, she helped pick it out. She just has trouble doing it.

Seriously, did you just say a woman is not "inherently" designed to shoot a gun? :shock: Hmmmm, its been a while since I was in school, but I have seen babies born, and neither boys nor girls come out with a gun in hand. A man is no better designed to shoot a gun than a woman. All you really need is an eye that works and a hand or two... Its probably true that a higher percentage of men like to shoot, but I guarantee there are plenty of women that can shoot WAY better than you or me....

tkarter

Single-Sixer
My wife don't even like pistols but I would bet she can outshoot me. She always has with a rifle. And I am a very good shot with a rifle.

Average with the pistol.

If your wife wants to shoot the P95 she certainly can learn to do it.

It only takes one time of mastering the grip to get the feel of it and the limp wrist goes away never to reappear.

Patience works!
tk

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Dacaur my dear fellow, if by now you cannot decern the physical differences between the sexes perhaps more time spent in a human anatomy class may be of some benefit. Believe me, there is a difference. :wink:

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
Just keep having your wife practice with the gun, my wife got fustrated with the issues she was having but its now great with the gun and i feel much safer leaving her at home with it than i would a can pepper spray.

jbender

Bearcat
WOW! all this shut the hell up and idiot talk is kinda overwhelming. My opinion on this is SOME women have smaller hands than MOST men and are not and will not be able to or be comfortable shooting a gun like a glock or even a sr9 or a p95. Case and point my wife can shoot my p95 like a champ she loves rubbing that in my face. However my buddies wife loves to shoot as well and she physically CANNOT SHOOT my p95 or his glock 30 which is why shes got a sweet little kel tec .32 (pink of course) that she shoots like a dream. Just my opinion i dont mean to sound sexist or anything just an opinion.

JB

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok y'all,,, QUIT the crap! Name calling or bad language is NOT appreciated here.
Now, Mr Williams; I CHALLENGE you to go tell the numerous women in the many different shooting sports who compete at world class levels they are built wrong for shooting. I PERSONALLY know many of the top lady shooters. I'd love to see you say that stuff to them.
Are you a certified instructor? A certified Range Safety Officer? Have you ever felt a woman could out shoot you? Well, I am & I have. In fact after having taught over 500 ladies in NRA Women On Target clinics,, And after over 20 years of teaching SCUBA to men & women,, I can safely say I have the actual experience to speak on this subject.
If you feel that ladies can't be shooters,, it's sad that you have such a narrow view. I can prove otherwise.

Mr_banjo2; I appreciate your strong objections to Mr Williams statements,, but lets be more polite in explaining our views.

Now,, INSTEAD of bashing women shooters,, or insulting each other,,, let's get back to the original reason for this post; To help a lady overcome a problem in shooting.
There could be any number of small reasons she's having issues in shooting. In fact have a few small issues,, added all together,,, can add up to a major problem.
Might I suggest a few things;
First,, we were never given a level of experience for her shooting abilities. Has she shot much? Just a little? calibers? Styles of firearms that she's tried?
We do our NRA WOT clinics with JUST 22's, 38 spls, & 9mm's. Most new shooters prefer the 22's and are ok with the 38's. The semi's in 9mm are usually not enjoyed by new shooters,, and some of them have "issues" with stovepipes or jams. I can usually see what's going on & correct it,, but it's the building up to larger calibers that helps as well. I'll be glad to discuss this issue at length via PM, email or even a phone call.
Just contact me.

Also,,, I don't remember who posted it above,,, but most ladies who are not comfortable with regular shooting prefer the 38 spls over the 9mm's. And a revolver is plenty for both male & female in a self defense situtation. I don't need a semi-auto & don't recommend them for the casual gun owner who is gonna do a lot more carrying over shooting. They are simple & safe to operate,, don't have any issues,, and can be easily used in just one hand only.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Thanks.

We haven't been out again since I last posted, but do plan to go out next weekend.

I did have her hold the gun and dry fire it for me......

I noticed her grip was a little low... Probably a tad under 1/4 inch of space between her hand and the top of the grip where it swoops back... she was also pulling the trigger with, basically, the first joint of her finger, rather than the end. Ill have her hold it as high as possible and pull the trigger right next time we go out...

As for the troll, I simply chose to ignore it after my first response, when it became obvious he was just trolling and didn't really want to add anything to the conversation...

contender

Ruger Guru
I've been out of town at a gun show & then straight to las Vegas for the SHOT Show.
PS to NC-P95; check out my post about the NRA event in the lounge.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
My wife has shot every handgun I've had just fine except the SR9. Every 2nd or 3rd a stovepipe. After the 2nd mag of this she handed it to me, gave me THE LOOK and said "I don't like this gun". And that was that. A wise man knows when to shut up and not force it.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
dacaur":2uqhunsn said:
Thanks.

We haven't been out again since I last posted, but do plan to go out next weekend.

I did have her hold the gun and dry fire it for me......

I noticed her grip was a little low... Probably a tad under 1/4 inch of space between her hand and the top of the grip where it swoops back... she was also pulling the trigger with, basically, the first joint of her finger, rather than the end. Ill have her hold it as high as possible and pull the trigger right next time we go out...

As for the troll, I simply chose to ignore it after my first response, when it became obvious he was just trolling and didn't really want to add anything to the conversation...

That is all it will take too.

I am not a big guy. I have small hands and weigh 135 pounds. Stand 6 foot so I am what one calls skinny.

She gets her grip high hangs on tight it doesn't matter where her finger is on the trigger. That can come later. She will be able to pump out every round flawlessly.

I have also said having confidence is important and it is.

There have been some men limp wristing the P95 just as your wife has so not a male female thing.

For levity I will say Rev probably would limp wrist his first P95. :D

Well maybe not but he wouldn't get a good group. :D

Patience is a virtue. Patience with a wife saves alimony.

tk

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
contender":nm5v3u2s said:
Mr_banjo2; I appreciate your strong objections to Mr Williams statements,, but lets be more polite in explaining our views.

My bad, sorry forum! Just don't want to see the guy not enjoy shooting with his wife because of some duff advice lol! It was a bit strong...

Hope you post back in a week or so and you had better luck with it all. My wife prefers my 9mm to her moms 38spl,

Peace and love everyone! Except you know who... :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":3r0djlfa said:
For levity I will say Rev probably would limp wrist his first P95. :D

Now what are you bringing me into this for tk ?? I've just been sitting back enjoying the show. :D

REV

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Problem solved....

It was her grip.

We went out shooting today and she shot several clips without a problem... The problem was definitely her grip... once she held as far up on the grip as she could, the problem went away...

thanks for all who helped...

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I love it when a lady figures out how to make it work. Thanks for letting us know how it went.

Now watch her put holes in the target closer together than you. :D

tk

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Hehe.... I might cry... (with pride) :lol:

When we went out, just to be sure she wasn't anticipating recoil, I cocked the gun and handed it to her with an empty chamber and told her it was "ready to go".... She lined up and pulled the trigger, and didn't move the gun at all... I was actually a little impressed. heh...

kscott

Single-Sixer
dacaur":ljg004qr said:
Hehe.... I might cry... (with pride) :lol:

When we went out, just to be sure she wasn't anticipating recoil, I cocked the gun and handed it to her with an empty chamber and told her it was "ready to go".... She lined up and pulled the trigger, and didn't move the gun at all... I was actually a little impressed. heh...

sneaky, sneaky... well done and glad you two got it figured out.