My Favorite Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

With all the extra time, I got busy and cleaned some guns today. It's been raining all last week and the gun range is closed after rain like that. Dirt road and rain = ruts. So I'll go sometime this week. At least traffic won't be bad to get there....

Anyway, as I was cleaning some guns, I thought I'd post a picture of my favorite Ruger. This New Vaquero is from around 2007. I bought it from GAT Guns in Illinois. Since then, it's had thousands of rounds through it, mostly 38's and occasionally 357's. For about 5 years, it came to the range with me everytime I'd go. A long time ago, I took some sandpaper to it and removed the barrel warning. This is before they moved it to the under side by the ejector rod housing. I also got the shiny finish off of it (worn down green scotch brite pad). I love a more matte finish, similar to a Mark II.

It also has that pesky internal lock. BUT! Ask me if I've ever had ANY trouble with it...Nope. Not at all. In fact, the gun as proved to be perhaps my most reliable gun. The trigger has worn itself into a very comfortable 2 -to- 2 1/2 pounds, simply through use, nothing else.

Anyone else have a favorite Ruger?

iaYEUO9l.jpg

Grips by Sack Peterson.
cjjvSFvl.jpg

Igor

Single-Sixer
Here's mine.........my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .45 Colt. With a good rest, I can actually get some
respectable groups at 100 yards. It's a blast to shoot !!

w37yvnZl.jpg

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Every time I think I found a favorite I find another so I have just want to keep them all. That’s with the exception I give my sons a gun or two. They both can buy their own but I tell them let’s just say it’s on permanent loan until I kick the bucket.

This is my latest joke (actually what I call a true joke) during these troubled times... I've actually made a card and on one side it says:
"Looking for a good stock portfolio? See the back of this card"

Here is what I printed on the back... it is from my 'stock' collection from about 15 years ago... there are a number of Rugers in there:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
SAJohn said:
Bob, Did you learn that trick of how to turn us green with envy from Flatgate or did he learn it from you. :)

John

Well, I can't say for sure, but I did break him from using the kitchen floor tiles as a background.

Bob Wright

Rook

Blackhawk
I still have two Ruger Vaqueros in .45 Colt left from my days of shooting SASS matches. I don't think you can wear one out, they're built like tanks. The one with the short barrel is a Sheriff's model.

6EIkDsq.jpg

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
Let's face it. Ruger over the years has made some beautiful guns, but more important to me, Ruger made guns that take a licking and keep on ticking. Most Rugers will last for centuries to come. Rugers are the blue collar working man's gun that seem to actually get better with use. Hell it can take a few years and 10 to 12 thousand rounds just to get one broke in well, where the trigger really smooths out. I know you can do a trigger job on the double actions and smooth them out, but it is a lot more fun to shoot them smooth.

Don't have to do either on most of the single action revolvers! They come from the factory pretty slick.

Currently I have practical Rugers that work for me. When I collected firearms it was Ruger #1 rifles, Six series revolvers, and SA 44 Magnums until I could no longer shoot them. Nowadays, my favorites are mostly practical. A 4" SP101 companion gun to my hunting rifle is probably my favorite. The one I carry the most is an LCPII, so it could be a favorite. My Ruger American 30-06 and mild custom 10-22 are favorites as well along with my AR556. These are mostly practical non-glamorous firearms, but my favorites at this time.

Dave

turd

Blackhawk
The last one I sold. Sorry guys but I have had issues with every Ruger I've owned - either recalls or sent back for work. Which has always been taken care of swiftly and without cost, but still. M77 rifle, single six, security six, lcp. I own several S&W handguns and Brownings, none have ever been sent back or needed repair work. Just the truth.

I do think this is the best forum on the net, I have learned a lot and bought a few things, so I enjoy it, but the guns themselves don't impress me much. Solid, last forever if you get one that works right. I just haven't. :cry:

Edit: Sorry, I shouldn't have posted this. No point. I do love the forum.

Latest posts