My AR went bye bye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welder

Buckeye
Well, I must confess, I was at my LGS and there was a SS Ranch model Mini14 from the 197 series. I have a regular series 197 Mini14 already and now it has a stable mate. It appears unfired and comes with a Nikon Pro staff scope that looks brand new. I will try to get a picture up soon. This makes three and counting. Time to buy more mags. :shock: :D

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
You seem to know a good amount on mini 14s, mind if I ask you a few things that are a bit hazzy for me?

1) The bolt locks back on the last round right? I hear people some times have trouble with this not occurring every time.

2) What mags do you run? Factory ruger only? Have you tried the GEN II Tapco mags (nutnfancy seems to adore them). How did you get over the "mag availability versus AR mags being everywhere."?

3) What are your thoughts on strut bars?

Thanks in advanced. I am envious that you will have two minis. I think the mini 14 tactical (with traditional style stock) looks amazing.

Sargents1~your mini 14 looks great, similar to how I would set up one. How do you like that strut bar and that Amega scout rail?

welder

Buckeye
Yes you bet. The bolt does lock back on the empty mag.

I have not tried the GENII Tapco after being burned on so many other brands that would never feed. But I am open to try one of the new Tapco's. Hopefully someone besides Ruger has figured out the issues and will offer a better priced mag that will work. This would go a long way in helping sell the Mini to more folks.

I currently only use Ruger 20 rd. factory mags. They have been 100% trouble free for me, and I have about 20 or so. The price and availability issue is no where near as good as the AR's and probably never will be. I suppose I like the Mini enough to overlook this drawback but it is a hurdle. I try to pick one or two up when I have a few extra bucks.

The strut bars:
I am actually researching them now. I am just about convinced that they would help the thin barreled Mini's a great deal. They are quite popular over on www.theperfectunion.com forum. Plus they just look good to me. I am also toying around with the adjustable gas block for range use. I would like to try one along with my already installed Wilson buffers to tame the ejection down a bit. The Mini in it's factory original state can be pretty hard on your brass. I never use steel case ammo in anything so reloading is a big plus to me and I need my brass to be in good condition.

I would recommend a Mini to just about anyone in the market for a good solid reliable shooter. I realize they will never shoot on par with an AR in the accuracy dept. but for my requirements they fill the bill easily. Hope this helps a bit.

xtratoy

Buckeye
welder said:
I recently bought a Ruger 5820 to go with my other Mini and I really like it.
Does your serial # start with 582-xxxxx? The Ruger site doesn't show mini serial numbers above 581-xxxxx. Is it a tactical or ranch? The picture looks like the 16" barrel of the tactical but no flash hider.
Found your gun gun listed on Rugers Law Enforcement page. It is called a Patrol rifle. I was looking at their civilian site earlier. On Rugers LE site the barrels on these guns look like the earlier barrels, not the newer tapered barrels. Do you have to be a LEO to buy these?

welder

Buckeye
Mine is a 581 series, Ranch model with no flash hider. It has the new thicker tapered barrel. I saw it featured in a Davidson's ad and did not know they were made until then. They are not restricted and the one I have shipped with two 20 round mags and a pretty good sling. Shorter barrel and stock otherwise a typical Mini. I am embarrassed to say that it has yet to be fired by me, just really busy this year.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
I have been back and forth on AR's and Mini's. I sold my Colt SP-1 to add a Mini-14 Ranch to my standard Mini years ago. I eventually sold the Ranch and kept my 183 series Mini; eventually added on Olympic AR-15 and a dedicated CMMG lower with a Chiappa .22 dedicated upper. I just recently added a 581 series Mini-30. The long and short of it is that I like both AR's and Minis. I also like my AK and SKS. They each have a purpose and all make me happy. Is that wrong?

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
I have been back and forth on AR's and Mini's. I sold my Colt SP-1 to add a Mini-14 Ranch to my standard Mini years ago. I eventually sold the Ranch and kept my 183 series Mini; eventually added on Olympic AR-15 and a dedicated CMMG lower with a Chiappa .22 dedicated upper. I just recently added a 581 series Mini-30. The long and short of it is that I like both AR's and Minis. I also like my AK and SKS. They each have a purpose and all make me happy. Is that wrong?

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Not to diss you guys but I have a real hard time understanding the love affair with Mini14's....

I've tried a couple and the best they would do was around 3+ inches at 100 yards with high quality ammo (that was with a good scope).

Every one of my AR's will do under an inch and a couple will go under 1/2" if I do my part. Now add to that all the parts / accessories the AR platform has such as match triggers, excellent sights, scope mounting systems, free float hand guards, endless stock options, easy barrel swaps,etc...

Why would I want Mini14? I don't... Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Ruger products. I have some great Ruger bolt actions and handguns but I'll never go down the Mini14 path again. IMO they just don't compare to an AR.

gunman42782

Hunter
Don't know why ya can't own both an AR and a Mini? Seems like everybody is constantly argueing over which is better. I have both, I like both, and plan on keeping both. They are two completely different rifles, other than the caliber of the guns. Each is enjoyable to shoot in it's own particular way.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
To each their own... If you like the Mini and it serves you well then that is great and I support you 100%. For me I demand more than a Mini can provide. I don't care to own something that does not have the accuracy or logistics that I need.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I have one Mini, in a federal Ordnance folder, the main reason I bought it was for the stock..... I also have 5 ARs, built them all from stripped lowers, except for one.

The ARs are all more accurate than the mini, but I expected that. All are loads of fun to shoot....