Mr. Keith

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
The order form came with one of his books & he wrote on the back.

contender

Ruger Guru
From what I've read, it was common for him to get orders at home & send out autographed copies like this occasionally. Still, not many seem to be around and are excellent finds! Thanks for sharing!

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
March of 1976 - about 2 months before I graduated from high school. I was reading Keith then in old American Rifleman copies and in Guns and Ammo; and saving up to buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk, per Elmer's influence. I wound up buying a 7 1/2" Old Model .45 Colt convertible model I found a bargain on ($175 tax and all), but still thought Elmer would have been pleased with my choice. That was a few thousand rounds and quite a few sixguns ago, but he is still the king, prince, and pope of the sixgun as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for sharing those bits of memorabilia with us. Way cool stuff.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I think it was 1981, that I sent a check to Elmer for a copy of SAFARI. I believe it was for 12.50 shipped. I received an autographed copy a few days later. He wished me a Merry Christmas. It had been gone through page by page and any wrong captions, or other mistakes were corrected by him using a pen. I still have the mailing envelope that was also hand addressed by him. My one book that I will never give up.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have never really been a big Keith fan, but I am impressed by these stories of personal replies and signed copies. Changes some of my impressions of the man - for much the better.

LAH

Buckeye
Thanks guys. I visited his home 3 times while living in Montana. Not sure I have any of his old stuff as I'm not sure when the books were originally published. I will say the copies I have are well read.

If I can make it happen I hope to go the Keith auction in Maine. Probably can't afford anything thing but it will be great just to see some of it again. You can see the auction here:
http://jamesdjulia.com/373_shs/

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Well(#2....)...........could be a '63-67 Corvette coupe instead. Harder to "hide" than firearms, but at my age, thinking I could look better in the "Vette" than a bandoliered SBH and double holstered paired RSSE setup. Just need someone with opposite interests that would trade with me............ 8) Would mean I still need a house with a garage........... :wink: :p

LAH

Buckeye
6GUNSONLY said:
BTW, I did look through the Julia auction items, Keith's and others.. Oh, my!

Yes there's some nice stuff on that long page.

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
I moved to Salmon ID two months ago. Here are a couple pics of his home near Sheep Creek, 25 miles north of Salmon. Still in the Keith family.