MKIII 4-3/4 " tapered barrel, threaded for suppressor?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Never seen it done but that doesn't mean that it can't. Because of the barrel taper and diameter, you would probably have to have it turned parallel, then threaded and then get an adapter to bring it up to the 1/2-28 threads that are typical for a .22 suppressor. The barrel of an SR22 and other .22's all require an adapter so it probably could be done, just need to find a gunsmith who is good with a lathe to turn and thread the barrel. Then find an adapter or have the 'smith make an adapter with 1/2-28 male threads on one end and have the other end threaded to accept how the barrel was threaded.

One more thing I just thought of also; because of the way the barrel and receiver are mated, I don't think the gunsmith will want to take the barrel out of the receiver. The gunsmith just needs to insure that when the barrel is cut and threaded those threads must be perfectly concentric/parallel with the bore. If not, the bullet coming out is going to strike a baffle (or more) and possibly the end cap. What makes a suppressor work is not having much room for the gases to escape so they are slowed and start to cool down before the bullet leaves the end of the suppressor so the suppressor bore and end cap opening are pretty tight and any little non concentricity of the threaded portion to the bore can cause havoc.

That said, a good gunsmith that threads barrels, shouldn't have a huge problem with chucking the receiver in the lathe and making sure the barrel and the bore rotates correctly (no wobble).

"have the 'smith make an adapter with 1/2-25 male threads on one end and have the other end threaded to accept how the barrel was threaded."

Ron, is that what you meant or a typo? (1/2-25??)
OP, do you want to retain the front sight? If so, that will require additional machining to set the sight base back. Ron's comment about not removing the barrel from the receiver is correct-that is generally not acceptable.

Mobuck, yeah, that was a typo (I fixed it). I didn't mention the moving of the sight (forgot), thanks for your answer. Even though that would be a more work (and cost) because of the barrel taper and size of the of the sight base, it could be done since it would be on the lathe anyway.

In all reality, it might just be cheaper (and quicker) to get a new threaded barrel/receiver from someone like Tactical Solutions. Take the original off, pull the bolt assembly out, install it in the TacSol receiver and put that onto the MkIII frame and attach the suppressor.

I actually put a TacSol barrel/receiver on an old standard model (A54 frame, magazine button on the right side) and it shoots fine. I only problem I have is the safety doesn't quite work perfectly and that's probably because the internals of that era aren't quite compatible with new receiver. It's one of my guns that I demo suppressors with.

Latest posts