MkII: Improvement in accuracy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
I know it's been asked before, and it seems to boil down to personal preference but, anyone have any current feedback about:

1. Installing both front HiViz sight and back "V" notch sight on my MkII or.....
2. Installing just a rear "V" to replace the standard "U" sight or.....
3. Forget both and just practice some more!

http://shopruger.com/Mark-II_Mark-III-V ... nfo/84201/

Some have said that the combo. set-up helps with faster target acquisition in plinking situations, but doesn't seem to help with accuracy. Agree?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I vote #3.

Sights have nothing to do with a firearm's accuracy. They do, however, have a great deal to do with the shooter's ability to USE that firearm's accuracy. :wink:

wwb

Hunter
The installation of a good trigger will do a lot more for accuracy than anything else.

Try installing the Volquartsen trigger, hammer, & sear.

ra

Single-Sixer
I vote #3, I like black patridge sights for max accuracy. I have not used Hi-Viz sights but I can see where they could be faster in a crisis.

ra

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'll slightly disagree, the smallest front sight you can see clearly will be the most accurate.

Practice will make you more accurate, and when you can't get to the range, you can dry fire that pistol all you want. Get to know each and every characteristic of the trigger, and when it comes to range or competition time you'll be much more accurate than if you just let is sit in the safe between range trips.

contender

Ruger Guru
We have the Hi-Viz's on all our shooters here that can take them,, and with the V-notch rear. I vote for #1 & then go shooting a lot more.

Rob72

Bearcat
Weeell, I'll differ a bit- V notch rear, and a white Marble's front, mainly because I use XS sights on my "real" guns. :) Ditto on adding a Volq sear, but I prefer the Clark trigger & a bushing set.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I've found a red dot scope, like an Ultradot, or an optical scope (I use a T/C 2x7 variable) on my Ruger MKIIs optimizes their inherent accuracy. My KMK678GCs will shoot 3/4-1" groups, or better, all day from a solid rest at 50 yards with favorite ammo (Wolf MT, Win Dynapoints, or lately, Federal Lightning of all things). I'm hard pressed to do that with any iron sight, even at 25 yards.

for now, # 3, then when you get as GOOD as you're gonna get, then you try 'other' things.....remember the ammo you use ,can and will make a difference also.................
with out actually "seeing" or trying the gun as to any "issues" ,hard to say, but with time , things smooth out and the 'obvious' will jump out at you. :wink:

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
VAdoublegunner":20xh9np4 said:
I've found a red dot scope, like an Ultradot, or an optical scope (I use a T/C 2x7 variable) on my Ruger MKIIs optimizes their inherent accuracy. My KMK678GCs will shoot 3/4-1" groups, or better, all day from a solid rest at 50 yards with favorite ammo (Wolf MT, Win Dynapoints, or lately, Federal Lightning of all things). I'm hard pressed to do that with any iron sight, even at 25 yards.

How did you (or a gunsmith) install a Weaver type rail, so that you could put a Red Dot scope on-board? I know that the MkIII's come with the scope mount, but wonder if you have to "drill holes" for the scope mount on a MkII?

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Both of my KMK678GCs were drilled and tapped and came with a Ruger base for a Weaver mount. I thought they were all that way. The earlier KMK678 Target I have with a tapered barrel was not d/t, but I got a B-Square mount that clamped onto the receiver. There are several aftermarket makers of scope mounts for Ruger MKIIs, both for bull and tapered barrel version barrels. Ultradot has a 25mm version red dot that fits standard rings or the clamp on receiver type B-Square mount. They are great red dot sights, very tough and not expensive for the quality.

Tweek

Bearcat
Later model MKII's, and all MKIII's with target adjustable sights were/are drilled & tapped from the factory.

I don't think any of the drift adjustable sight models were.

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
VAdoublegunner":2wmdqzz2 said:
Both of my KMK678GCs were drilled and tapped and came with a Ruger base for a Weaver mount. I thought they were all that way. The earlier KMK678 Target I have with a tapered barrel was not d/t, but I got a B-Square mount that clamped onto the receiver. There are several aftermarket makers of scope mounts for Ruger MKIIs, both for bull and tapered barrel version barrels. Ultradot has a 25mm version red dot that fits standard rings or the clamp on receiver type B-Square mount. They are great red dot sights, very tough and not expensive for the quality.

My MkII is an approximately 1988-1989 build, and does not come already tapped for a scope rail. I'm supposing that it would be a costly exercise to have that done. True?

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't think it would be that much if you had a decent gunsmith nearby. Or a really good machinist. Certainly not something you would want a bubba job on. There are decent "no gunsmithing" mounts out there, but their cost may be more than a d/t job and standard Ruger mount. You may even consider sending it back to Ruger for d/t for one of their mounts.

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
VAdoublegunner":278bwyue said:
I wouldn't think it would be that much if you had a decent gunsmith nearby. Or a really good machinist. Certainly not something you would want a bubba job on. There are decent "no gunsmithing" mounts out there, but their cost may be more than a d/t job and standard Ruger mount. You may even consider sending it back to Ruger for d/t for one of their mounts.

Thanks! Being from Arizona, I'll drop Ruger a note and see what can be done.

wwb

Hunter
LOOK HERE!!!! Yeah, I'm shouting.... do NOT drill and tap... if you ever want to sell, the value just went down the toilet..... plus, there's a fair chance you'll get a botched job - lots of guys call themselves gunsmiths when they really ought to admit that they're butchers.

http://www.jackweigand.com

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
First off I vote for #1 and #3. I also think a red dot would be a great idea. I have a 1988 MkII and I'm afraid to have it tapped. I don't really buy into the drop in value theory on this particular gun. But wwb is right about the risk of crappy gun smithing. I may look for a later model MkII to scope or by the Weigand mount (available at Midway).

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
I have the HiViz on my MarkIII. It is a great add on. It has different 2 colors with 3 different diameter dots.

I agree with lots of practice.
However it does get boring hitting the same spot on the target.

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
wwb":1jcim1ym said:
LOOK HERE!!!! Yeah, I'm shouting.... do NOT drill and tap... if you ever want to sell, the value just went down the toilet..... plus, there's a fair chance you'll get a botched job - lots of guys call themselves gunsmiths when they really ought to admit that they're butchers.

http://www.jackweigand.com

I just got an email back from Ruger in Prescott saying that the "drill and tap" on the MkII would cost just $35 plus any parts for them to do it at the factory. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Thoughts anyone?

wwb

Hunter
If Ruger does it, it's a fair bet it'll be done right.... though recent reports of serious QC issues are worrisome.

There are, however, no-drill & tap mounts on the market. Weigand, I belive, still makes one.... B-Square and Weaver, as well as a couple others, used to make 'em, and they're still available if you look (check the classifieds).

Typical price for one is $30 - $40.... about the same as the cost to drill & tap (not counting shipping), and you still need to get the base if you have it drilled & tapped.

Latest posts