Ruger MK IV; target or competition model for accuracy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I don't nerd out on ballistics, nor do I experiment with a number of different brands of ammo.
My GUESS would be the longer barrel.
I know my MKII Competition Target was the absolute most accurate gun for ME, regardless of which bulk pack ammo I used.

Cholo

Staff member
Theoretically the same. I shoot my MKll Competition far better than my 5.5" MKll for some reason, and I don't think it's the 1 7/8" barrel difference.

Is there really any difference between a common run of the mill MK barrel and the so called 'competition/target' models (other than weight or outer profile)?
I have a 4" (non-tapered) 22/45 Mk3 that when upgraded with a VQ trigger kit, required a 4X optic and sandbags to even come close to showing it's accuracy capabilities. One would have to be a very highly skilled shooter to see or challenge that accuracy potential.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I chose a Mk IV Target with a 10" bull barrel; stainless because it weighs more than the blued version(*). I haven't used it in competition yet, but that's why I bought it.

For 35 years I've used my Mk II Government model with 6-7/8" bull barrel in IHMSA competition. The best I got was 30 out of 40, which sounds mediocre, but the .22 targets are difficult and I don't have a spotter to tell me where my missed shots are going.

I think all the Ruger .22 semiautos are wonderful, Mk I to Mk IV.

IMG_2594.jpeg
IMG_0599.jpeg

(*) blued 10": 46.3 oz; stainless 10": 53.5 oz, 7.2 oz heavier.

Last edited:

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Mine are all Mark IIs, but I shoot my Competition model better than my Target or 22/45. It's the longer sight radius of the 6 7/8" Competition over the other two with their 5 1/2" barrels. It's really no contest how much of a difference it makes.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Mine are all Mark IIs, but I shoot my Competition model better than my Target or 22/45. It's the longer sight radius of the 6 7/8" Competition over the other two with their 5 1/2" barrels. It's really no contest how much of a difference it makes.

This is your answer. ^

Iron sights, longer barrel helps. Dot or scope, no difference. I have over a dozen Mk's in various lengths. They all shoot lights out. IHMSA was mentioned above. I shot standing INT class with a 5.5". Bought a comp govt 6-7/8" to see if I could squeak out a couple more targets. No change.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Longer barrel as mentioned but don't forget a smoother trigger pull makes a big difference. Based on just the model name seems logical the competition model should be more accurate given the same shooter

Doesn't the stainless target model have an aluminum grip frame? And the other "competition" model have a steel grip frame? Would that make a difference in how it balances in the hand?

Mine are all Mark IIs, but I shoot my Competition model better than my Target or 22/45.

I agree. I don't believe the 22/45 is as accurate as the other models.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Doesn't the stainless target model have an aluminum grip frame? And the other "competition" model have a steel grip frame? Would that make a difference in how it balances in the hand?

According to Ruger's site specs, the blued Target model has an aluminum frame; the SS model is all steel. For your question and the OP's:

Blued Target (#4101), 5-1/2" bull: 35.6 oz
SS Target (#40103), 5-1/2" bull: 42.8 oz

SS Competition (#40112), flat sided 6.8" bull: 45.8 oz

Latest posts