mk2 upper on mk1 lower ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peabody

Bearcat
wondering if a mk2 upper would work on a older mk1 lower ?
howdy new guy here .. just thoughts i would try to learn more about my ruger pistols.
looks like a great place to be :)

It can be made to fit with a bit of modification, BUT then the "original " parts will not work if you switch back,will be "too loose", besides the MK II upper will no longer allow the bolt to "stay open" on the last shot, as all the corresponding levers/parts are mounted on the MK II 'lower'.....this should be done as a "last resort" if you are trying to build one from "parts" ( put together ONE gun from an assortment of parts)
Folks had found over time, its easier to replace the complete UPPER, than trying to pull ,remove, or change the barrels alone, especially without the proper barrel wrench & receiver jig...........seen MANY "twisted" receivers over the years :roll:

peabody

Bearcat
yes .. I've found a complete mk2 upper with target sights . minus the bolt.
was just going to putt it on my mk1 lower .
thanks.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
The Mark II receiver will fit on the older frame, as long as it is not stamped 22/45 on the side of it. The underside of the receivers are cut to the same dimensions. Your Mark II receiver just has an extra slot on the side for the bolt stop. You will need to use the bolt from your Mark I/Std with that newer receiver to properly lock the bolt open with the thumb safety, just like you did with the Mark I generation receiver.

R,
Bullseye

peabody

Bearcat
Bullseye57 said:
The Mark II receiver will fit on the older frame, as long as it is not stamped 22/45 on the side of it. The underside of the receivers are cut to the same dimensions. Your Mark II receiver just has an extra slot on the side for the bolt stop. You will need to use the bolt from your Mark I/Std with that newer receiver to properly lock the bolt open with the thumb safety, just like you did with the Mark I generation receiver.

R,
Bullseye

thanks !
that's exactly what i was wanting to know !

Latest posts