Mini 30 for SR 1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I currently have a full size SR 1911 and a SR 1911 Lightweight Commander. I have wanted a Mini 30 to go with my Mini 14 for quite a while. I have the opportunity to trade my full size SR 1911 for a Mini 30 made in the first year of production, 1987, according to the serial number. I have heard some concerns expressed about the early Mini 30...but I don't know how accurate, finicky, etc. they are. I understand that shooting military surplus Wolf ammo, etc. is not recommended. What els should I know or consider? The rifle looks to be in very good condition from the photos, but as it is about 100 moles away or so, I have not seen it yet. I need some help with thinking through this one.

I do not have lots of money, but I have always thought that having firearms that shoot the most common civilian and military cartridges was wise, in case things get nasty. I do not know how this Mini 30 will take current 7.62x39 production of less expensive rounds. What do you think? Is a Mini 30 worth trading for?

hittman

Staff member
I would not make that trade. Nobody I know personally has had good luck with a Mini 30.

To shoot 7.62x39 I'd stick with the AK platform.

I actually traded a Springfield 1911 for a Mini-30... only because a friend wanted the 1911 and the mini-30 had been owned by another friend who had passed. I already owned one mini-30 that would shoot anything and is pretty accurate... the one I traded for won't shoot wolf /hard primer ammo.....

That is the only gun trade I've ever made and I've never sold a gun... have given two away... don't believe in selling or trading guns only acquiring. (So, I'm to a degree, limited in my views)

DGW1949

Hunter
Being's how you asked...

No, if I was you, I would NOT do that trade for a lot of reasons...but what they all come down to is that in it's "as issued" form, the gun is not likely going to do what you say you want it to do. Plus, it's been my experience that "as is", the newer versions are far better shooters than the older versions...so given the ridiculously-high asking prices for old "skinny barreled" Mini's these days, and given that you're not even sure whether or not you want the gun ...well...do ya see where all of this is going?

Now, if the guy was willing to toss in a couple hundred bucks...yeah, maybe..."maybe" meaning that that way, at least you wouldn't have so much tied up in the deal that you couldn't readily resell it without loosing your shirt.

DGW

Just to throw another part in (and yes I agree not to trade)... I'd save up my money and find a Marlin Camp Carbine 45 and get it .... there were some issues with these but they are easily fixed and then you have a rifle that shoots 45 acp and takes 1911 magazines.

But now as I write (right) this I realized I fibbed in my first post above... I have sold a gun... it was a Camp Carbine 45 with a Choate folding stock... but I 'sold' it to a good friend... we fought and bickered over this for a month and finally had to ask some one else to intervene .... my friend wanted to pay me $700 for the rifle and I wanted to give it to him for free.... we did not tell the arbitrator which of us was which and he decided on a price of $500..... had to be one of the screwiest gun deals ever made.

Keep your 1911's they are rock solid.

Then I'm the odd man out. 8)

I fully appreciate the Mini 30, and an SR1911 for a recent Mini 30 is a fair trade. Usefully accurate, and extremely reliable. I'd not make the trade for an older Mini without a little booty in your favor, and not without a road test.

Your ammo options will likely be only quality Boxer primed ammo, not the cheap rooshkie stuff with Berdan primers. If you're planning on shooting the later, you could be very disappointed. The design and firing pin geometry on many Mini 30's is such that the firing pin protrusion is just not enough to reliably ignite the Berdan primers on steel cased ammo. Some do, but it's a pig in a poke.

So...If ya wanna shoot brass cased Boxer primed ammo only, go for it, and you'll be pleased. If you're planning on shooting Wolf, Golden Tiger, Golden Bear, Tula, Norinco, etc., I'd not choose the Mini 30.

If a feller wanted to split the difference, he could shoot PPU (Privi Partisan) brass cased Boxer primed ammo, for 9-10 dollars a box of twenty. Roughly twice the price of commie ammo, but roughly half the price of domestic ammo.