Mini 14 parts kit, what to include?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I'm wanting to put together some spare parts for my mini-14, just in case availability of parts starts going downhill. I have an idea of which parts I want to have, but am looking for some advice as well. If you were putting together a kit to have in a SHTF situation, what spare parts would you want? So far I know I want replacements for all springs and a couple firing pins. What else would you want spares of?

Thanks,

Paul

What model Mini and serial number (Prefix) are we talking about.

I work on range rifles that see hard use. Bolt parts are the ones that suffer.

All bolt springs and pins should be on hand.

Bolt lock plunger and associated parts also.

Trigger group is almost bullet proof.

I have seen the main spring in the trigger group break so, I would have a few as well.

In range rifles with big round counts I have seen cracked bolt handles. Might be nice to have one or two of those.

I do not think you will shoot yours as much as we shoot ours. :D

It is a solid rifle that will shoot and shoot without much attention. But, they do break down and having the right part and knowing how to install them is key to getting them back on line.

Bill

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Thanks Bill.

It's one of the newer tactical versions they came out with lately, but I swapped the folding tactical stock for a Hogue overmolded stock for now. I don't have it with me, but I know for sure it's at least a 581- prefix. I don't shoot it a lot, but if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I want to know I'll be safe :)

slippingaway,

I thought I would share this about your sights.

You have a 581 mini that has the newest sight system. I like these sights because once you get them set, they are solid and difficult to knock out of alignment.

One note, if the rear sight should get hit very hard it can break the screw that attaches it to the receiver.

This is not that common but it has happened to rifles that are dropped or banged up a lot while moving them in and out of vehicle mounts.

When this happens, we send them back to the factory for repair. I consider this a weak point in the new rear sight design.

FYI

Bill

slippingaway

Blackhawk
So here's what I put together, along with numbers from diagram in the manual. Let me know what you think:

11-Extractor
14-Extractor plunger
15-Extractor spring
12-firing pin
24-bolt lock plunger
25-bolt lock plunger spring
26-ejector bolt lock
16-buffer cross pin
18-buffer guide rod
19-slide spring
33-trigger spring
43-hammer spring

When you say bolt handle, I'm assuming you mean what Ruger calls the Slide Assembly. I don't have it on the list because it's out of stock at Midway. I also wasn't sure whether to get a spare Buffer Bushing (17) or not.

slippingaway,

Yes, slide assembly is the correct term. As I was reading your post, I thought of just a few more items.

As I write this I have the instruction manual open so I should use the correct terms. :oops:

The gas block assembly has a top and bottom. It has 4 screws that attaches the top and bottom gas block assembly. I have seen several cases of one of the 4 screws breaking off. When this happens the top portion has the threads part of the screw. I replace the top and use new screws. I would have a few of those screws and the top portion of the gas block assembly. Part # 5. Top and bottom.

Slide springs wear over use and I normally replace them following a season of shooting. Part # 19.
Storing the rifle with the bolt closed will preserve the life of the Slide Spring.

To be honest, you might never need any of these parts. The rifles that I work on have served on a range for years and have seen more service than the typical rifle in the hands of the average user.

If I had a mini and was going to keep it and shot it, I would have the parts I listed.

Bill

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Thanks again for all the help Bill.

I realize that the mini is a great, reliable gun and I could probably use it my whole life without having to replace any of these. That's one of the reasons I bought it. But, it never hurts to be prepared. Who knows what's gonna happen, and I'd rather have the parts just in case.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
Completely off topic here, but has anyone put a stainless slide assembly on a blued mini? I think it might look cool.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Has anyone checked what it would cost if you sent a Mini14 to Ruger without a bolt and operating rod ("slide") for repair?

Bob B,

Old bolt would still have the extractor spring and pin on bolt face. New bolt would have newer Ejector Bolt Stop. I would say no.

In the past I sent a (183) rifle back that had begun to key hole due to extreme high round count. At that time they installed a new 580 heavy style barrel and made all modifications to the bolt.

Currently, they offer a new rifle at a discounted price and destroy the old rifle.

welder

Buckeye
slippingaway said:
Thanks again for all the help Bill.

I realize that the mini is a great, reliable gun and I could probably use it my whole life without having to replace any of these. That's one of the reasons I bought it. But, it never hurts to be prepared. Who knows what's gonna happen, and I'd rather have the parts just in case.

Just throwing this out there and the time is probably wrong now, but I bought a second rifle from the same series (197) for a back up. I am invested heavily in Ruger magazines and plan to always keep a couple Minis around. That said I'd still like to have a parts kit for them. I do have a spare recoil spring, ejector plunger and spring and an extractor and spring just in case. I'd like to build a kit like those mentioned too. I am on my fifth Mini and as of yet have, never had a failure or breakage but doubt my guns have any where near the rounds of some, especially a range gun.

welder,

I hear what you are saying. Some of the rifles on the range have been there for years. They receive regular service and inspections.

That said, they still fail. I have had two rifles that the barrel became loose from the receiver. Fired much and so often that the barrel became loose. I have no idea what the round count was for those two.

I wonder if anyone has any data on what the expected service life for a Mini or an AR is?

20K rounds?

I know that some of ours have twice that amount. :shock:

welder

Buckeye
I'd say you're pretty close on the 20K. I was told once the AR in selective configuration was rule of thumb, 10K. Chrome lining helps a lot I'm told for burst/auto but otherwise really unnecessary in most guns.
I have a buddy who may have some info regarding the Mini's and their Ruger testing. I'll shoot an e-mail and see if I can get some numbers.
I doubt I'll ever wear any of my guns out as I can't seem to get to the range very much these days. I can see how the Mini might fail here and there when the guns are range guns especially with the pretty aggressive op rod and mass they deal with. The heat would probably add a lot to that barrel shooting lose too, after so many cycles of heat/cool.
BTW, thanks for the parts list suggestions, those pieces are on my wish list.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Just FYI, I bought all the parts on my list, some in multiples, for around $100 shipped from Midway. Only part not in stock was the firing pin. Midway was cheaper than Brownells.

Couldn't get a gas block, they aren't sold by Midway or Brownells unless you buy an aftermarket ASI brand. Ruger lists them as factory fitted, by exchange only.

Major T

Blackhawk
My first Mini was a GB model with way more than 20K (it had been a tester for a major LE agency). I finally got rid of it as I needed glass sights and changed it for a newer ranch rifle. The old one had ZERO parts replacement. May the successor do as we'll. jack

welder

Buckeye
slippingaway said:
Just FYI, I bought all the parts on my list, some in multiples, for around $100 shipped from Midway. Only part not in stock was the firing pin. Midway was cheaper than Brownells.

Couldn't get a gas block, they aren't sold by Midway or Brownells unless you buy an aftermarket ASI brand. Ruger lists them as factory fitted, by exchange only.

Thanks. I'm leaning toward an adjustable gas block for one of mine just to try. I like the idea of finding the brass easily. I'm gonna start working on completing my kit.