Might This be Patina?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
Yes, the hammer looks great! How did you do it, chemical and/or buffing?

Wet sanding: 400, 600, & 800 grit, being careful not to remove the factory bluing on the top and back.
A felt buffing wheel with compound would be even better, I suspect.
(I need to buy a dremel, w/accessory wheels.)

19ontheslide

Bearcat
I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but I disagree with those who have speculated a previous attempt at cold bluing your hammer. I recognize that blackish discoloration as identical to that which has colored the sides of my SR1911 hammer and my early Bisley Vaquero. I'm the original owner of both of those guns and can assure everyone that their hammers have not been cold blued, they just get that way from exposure to something in my body's chemistry. Obviously some have never seen the phenomenon (lucky them), but it can and does happen on its own for some of us. FYI.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Tip said:
Salmoneye, nice Gonçalo Alves grips!
(Does the other panel look that nice?)

10e2910.jpg

Yes, but in no way 'matching...

The grain is tighter, and goes across the grip...

SAJohn

Hunter
Tip, You did good. Whenever I get my hands on one of these Old Models, I do a complete disassembly, clean and re-oil every last piece to within an inch of its life. Importantly, I also remove the hammer plunger and clean out the hammer plunger hole with pipe cleaners. I also do a bit of polishing on the action sear surfaces. I prefer to wax all of the outside surfaces rather than oil them.

John

Cholo

Staff member
SAJohn said:
Importantly, I also remove the hammer plunger and clean out the hammer plunger hole with pipe cleaners.
Quoted for truth! About 2 years ago I bought a mint OM SBH, no turn line or anything. I took the cylinder out and cleaned the gun proper. I cocked it and noticed the bolt wasn't rising as it should. The hammer plunger was sticking. A good cleaning with some jeweler's rouge and all was well. If I hadn't have noticed it, it would have caused a turn line.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
SAJohn said:
Importantly, I also remove the hammer plunger and clean out the hammer plunger hole with pipe cleaners.
Quoted for truth! About 2 years ago I bought a mint OM SBH, no turn line or anything. I took the cylinder out and cleaned the gun proper. I cocked it and noticed the bolt wasn't rising as it should. The hammer plunger was sticking. A good cleaning with some jeweler's rouge and all was well. If I hadn't have noticed it, it would have caused a turn line.

That's good to know! Thank you, both.

Tip

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
looks so much better now
Thanks, eveled. I think I'll do the more thorough cleaning this weekend, as others have done, and clean up the sides with a small buffing wheel on a dremel tool.

2eghd2p.jpg

Light Pitting on Sides of Hammer May Be Buffed Out