Max 9 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doons

Bearcat
I am considering installing the flat trigger from Galloway Precision. I was wondering if anyone here has done that and how you feel about it from a shooting perspective? I have always struggled with curved triggers, add to that shooting a Micro with fairly large hands doesn't seem to be a plus either 😁 the Max will be my fitness walking/hiking carry (in a belly band).

The Max ate 200 rounds of JHP(25) and FMJ without an Issue Yesterday. I like the gun but not a fan of the trigger right now. As a note, my regular EDC's are both 1911's (3" & 4.25"), these I shoot rather well.

RUT

Single-Sixer
I did install one on mine, and it's a definite improvement. It does reduce the pre-travel a bit as well as improving the overall appearance. I too am a fan of flat faced triggers and install them whenever it's doable.

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 72

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Sorry...it took me a while to find this thread again...

I also installed the Maxxis trigger on my Max9 and found it to help my accuracy a great deal. Even though I was used to a long trigger pull on my previous carry pistol (Kahr MK9), the Max9 seemed to have an unusually long pull for no apparent reason. I found myself shooting the dreaded "Low & Left".

I figured that I'd invest the $30 for the Maxxis (since I paid nothing for the gun and accessories...that story HERE) and see how I liked it. The trigger removes 99.5% of the slack and drastically improved my accuracy...no more low and left.

One word of caution...the reset. there seems to be so little travel in the trigger that I needed to train myself to make sure I released it enough for it to reset. My first range session with the trigger installed had me concerned because a couple times, I went for a second shot and there was nothing...I hadn't allowed the trigger to reset.

It was no problem with the trigger or installation, just needed to train my finger to work it right.

Aqualung

Doons

Bearcat
Well that is encouraging. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Trigger should be here in the next day or so. Once I get it installed and have a chance to shoot it, I will leave an update with my results.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I'm not sure how much of a gunsmith you are, so please excuse me if this seems elementary to you...

Word of caution when removing the stock trigger and installing the new trigger...be very aware of where the springs go and how they work! Maybe even take high-resolution, detailed pics before touching anything!

When I took my stock Max9 trigger out, the springs for it popped off. While I have the springs, I have no idea how they go back together...so, If I remove the Maxxis trigger for whatever reason, I'll either have to do trial and error to get the stock trigger working, or send the gun and ziplock baggie with the trigger and springs in it back to Ruger to fix...

Aqualung

Doons

Bearcat
sage advive, thank you.

Im am not a gunsmith by any stretch and have not slept at a holiday inn. I believe I am mechanically inclined enough to get it done…. We will see? I replaced the trigger and springs on an XDM a couple years ago. It took 3 attempts to get everything working correctly. The guy in the video did it in about 10 minutes…. It took me almost 2 hours 😁. It worked perfectly and it gave me the perfect opportunity to exercise every profane word or expression I knew!

i will be taking pics of the FCU when I get it out before I start removing anything!

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Your avatar is the Texas flag, but your location shows as Cow Town, NJ. Are you exiled to Jersey from Texas (what heinous crime did you commit to get that punishment? o_O) or are you a refugee from Jersey in Texas?

I'm a refugee from Jersey, who grew up in Mullica Hill, not far from Cow Town Rodeo.

Aqualung

Doons

Bearcat

NJ? Get a Rope!

I was created in Albuquerque, NM but for the last 30 years, Texas has been my home. If you google Cowtown, you will find that Fort Worth comes up. "Wasn't born in Texas but got here as fast as I could". I get uneasy anywhere North of the Red River 🤠

Aqualung

Blackhawk
NJ? Get a Rope!

I was created in Albuquerque, NM but for the last 30 years, Texas has been my home. If you google Cowtown, you will find that Fort Worth comes up. "Wasn't born in Texas but got here as fast as I could". I get uneasy anywhere North of the Red River 🤠

Not far from where I grew up is Cowtown rodeo, a very long-running rodeo in Jersey. Strangely enough, for me, the link in your avatar brings up the rodeo site in Google Maps for me, but I guess it was just looking up "Cow Town" in relation to Philadelphia on Google...

Sorry to offend you by thinking you're from New Jersey...LOL. That's why I'm a refugee from Jersey...a Pennsylvanian by choice and by heritage.

When you look at the bridges from Jersey to PA and DE, the toll booths are 1-way and are on the PA and DE sides. This makes it so you have to pay $5.00 to get out of Jersey...and believe me, it's worth every damn penny! :D

Doons

Bearcat
Trigger came in the mail today. Install was pretty simple. Took me about 35 minutes and the GP video was very helpful. Only issue was the thumb safety spring popping off. Took a few tries but I got it back in place. If dry fire is any indication, it is a major improvement over the curved trigger. Hope to shoot it Friday morning.

IMG_2035.jpeg

Doons

Bearcat
Red river borders Mn and ND get much farther north and you're in Canada.
LOL… was referring to the Red River of the South… not the North….. although I did a good bit of growing up in Minnesnowda up thru high school graduation. Folks were from Mpls and St. Paul.

Hibbing huh…. up nord der! Ya, you betcha….

Doons

Bearcat
I'm kinda regretting getting the Pro. Having too good of a trigger without a separate safety is pushing your luck IMO.
I think you will be fine. As far as I can tell it did nothing for the pressure needed to fire the gun. All you replace is the trigger itself. It does eliminate a good amount of the take up but it didn't affect the pressure needed to fire the gun and the reset seemed the same to me. I am just not a Fan of curved triggers.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I'm kinda regretting getting the Pro. Having too good of a trigger without a separate safety is pushing your luck IMO.

I think you will be fine. As far as I can tell it did nothing for the pressure needed to fire the gun. All you replace is the trigger itself. It does eliminate a good amount of the take up but it didn't affect the pressure needed to fire the gun and the reset seemed the same to me. I am just not a Fan of curved triggers.

I was concerned about it a bit, too. However, I make sure the trigger is always covered in the holsters and have trained myself with a good bit of dry-fire practice and live fire.

Just like the loooooong take-up, it takes some "getting used to"...

Good luck with it.

Aqualung

Doons

Bearcat
Last mod done… Friday I will test out the new trigger and just installed Dot.

The Dot is the Ruger ReadyDot. No windage or elevation adjustments and no battery. Made specifically for the Max 9 to co-witness with the fixed sites.

From Ruger : "The fiber illuminated reticle adjusts to varying light conditions and has been specifically designed for battery-less operation at typical concealed carry pistol ranges"

IMG_2043.jpeg
IMG_2044.jpeg
IMG_2047.jpeg

Last edited:

Doons

Bearcat
Well… range time went OK. Still low left about 60% of the time but only by about 3 inches at that worst. That is all me as I have a recoil flinch with this gun. Had a similar problem with a P365 I owned. I shot my 3" EMP 9mm and no flinch…weird. Just need to practice more. I did get better as I worked on it.

the new trigger broke 🫨…. The little Glock safety blade thing fell out. Pics Below. Contacted the Mfg when I got home via email. Got back to me in less than an hour and shipped me a new one that day. the Little pin holding it in came out. He didn't know why but several other customers have had a similar issue so they have changed how they set that pin. they were never able to recreate it. No biggie, their response was swift and acceptable, so no hard feelings. Even with the stupid blade safety it works much better than the stock trigger. It's an easy install, so no big deal.

The Ruger Readydot worked just dandy. It's not real bright in the lane but the dot was bright. because it has neither an elevation or windage adjustment available I was suspicious. When I dint shoot like a moron, it was POA…. Very cool. I also need more work with it.

IMG_2049.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg

ssl92677

Bearcat
I'm not sure how much of a gunsmith you are, so please excuse me if this seems elementary to you...

Word of caution when removing the stock trigger and installing the new trigger...be very aware of where the springs go and how they work! Maybe even take high-resolution, detailed pics before touching anything!
Search YouTube for Ruger Max9 trigger videos