Matching Ruger Mini-14 stock finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

danomite45

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger Mini-14 Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty, 1976. The metal was in good shape, however the wood was spray painted black. When I stripped the paint, I found that the right side of the stock was burned near the butt.... It looks like it was set too close to a campfire.
The wood handguard and stock has some fiddleback in it and is overall a great piece of wood. I would like to try to save it.
I would like to match the original factory Ruger finish as best as possible. Any ideas on what finishing product to use to best match the Ruger finish?
Thanks ahead of time,
Daniel

Attachments

• Ruger Mini14 left.jpg
    Ruger Mini14 left.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Ruger mini14 right.jpg
    Ruger mini14 right.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 66

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I saw your post and waited to reply. Just in case someone else knew the real answer.

I'll state right up front,, I have no idea how or what Ruger uses to finish their Mini-14 stocks. BUT,,,,, quite often, many of us who tinker with wood stuff on guns use "Tru-Oil" to finish out our stocks or grips. A light coat, allow to dry, buff with steel wool, apply coat #2. Repeat as often as necessary to get the desired depth of finish we desire. Since your stock has seen some damage already,, I think the Tru-Oil might be a good bet to get very close.

I think you will find that the Mini stock finish is much like the standard 10/22, ( birch) type hardwood and the finish is I believe "painted" on ?? strip it and the wood is light underneath then you gotta restain??? I had to use a gel stain many years ago , and am NOT a wood worker, I cut them down, cut them up and chip, or burn them......leave it to the "experts"....walnut you can get things done, birch etc., not me.....:cool::rolleyes:(n)