Match Champion red front sight?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anybody know if the "GP-100 Red Front Sight" that Ruger sells as part #90074 is compatible with a FIXED sight Match Champion?

I prefer the "black-rear-red-front" combination on my other handguns and wondered if it will work on my Match Champion (en route from Buds).

It will not work, the Match Champion front sight is an interference fit sight, the standard GP100 has the spring loaded pin for sight replacement. I have a Match Champion and find the green front sight works great for me because it's easy to find the fiber optic dot quickly but the site surround is still black and square when you get the sites lined up.

Your eye is going to fixate on the dot but it basically will look like this...

sight.png

Mike,
I believe the Match Champion uses the same front sight as the new GP100 in .22LR
If so it's a Novak sight. The dovetail is a .330 inch at 65 degree.
Novak, Dawson Precision and others make a variety that fit that dovetail.
I know Dawson have a red dot style, you'll have to check on the heights
avail.
Dave

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Changing the "light pipe" in most fiber optic sights is very easy and you can try any color you wish. The rods typically come in .04" (1 mm) and .06" (1.5 mm) diameter and can be had by the foot in a wide variety of colors from several suppliers. Also, most gun stores and sight manufactures sell short sections as pre-packaged replacements for broken ones.

Remove the factory rod by cutting it and pulling out the pieces. Use a butane lighter to melt a small "mushroom cap" on one end of the replacement light pipe. Insert it into the front sight blade, cut it very slightly long (say 1/16") at the other end and touch it with the lighter to melt a small mushroom cap at that end to lock it in place.

Thel

Blackhawk
If all else fails a gunsmith should be able to make a ramp front sight to fit the dovetail and then cut and install the colored insert into the sight.

Wfleming

Bearcat
Anyone else with the Dawson sight have a problem with it not fitting the contour of the 22/45 barrel? Mine won't sit quite flush..