Match champion FO tube question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
Hello all,

My mc gp100 had approaching 20k Rds so far. The other day I successfully melted the fiber optic tube in my front sight. Called the mothership and they would rather sell me another than tell me the goddamn dimensions of the tube. Anybody know the diameter of the tube in the match champion and have a suggestion on where to buy more? Thanks!
-FreuderLocks

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Most fiber rods for FO sights are 1 mm (0.04") or 1.5 mm (0.06"). Rods of both diameters are available from several suppliers by the foot in a huge variety of colors. Here is one:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

I have the ShopRuger "Litewave" replacement FO front sight (made by HiViz I believe) for my GP-100 and it came with a number of replacement rods in several colors. They mike 0.07" but they are specifically keyed to this sight.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Most fiber rods for FO sights are 1 mm (0.04") or 1.5 mm (0.06"). Rods of both diameters are available from several suppliers by the foot in a huge variety of colors. Here is one:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

I have the ShopRuger "Litewave" replacement FO front sight (made by HiViz I believe) for my GP-100 and it came with a number of replacement rods in several colors. They mike 0.07" but they are specifically keyed to this sight.

Excellent information. Thank you. Is your model a ho hum GP100 or a match champion. I'll probably head over to Cabela's and pick some up today.
-FreuderLocks

Also, anyone else who has melted the fiber optic tube? Admittedly it was hot and I shot about 200 Rds in an hour, reasonably expected to melt it far in the past, I'm surprised that it lasted this long.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Freuderlocks said:
Excellent information. Thank you. Is your model a ho hum GP100 or a match champion. I'll probably head over to Cabela's and pick some up today.
-FreuderLocks

Also, anyone else who has melted the fiber optic tube? Admittedly it was hot and I shot about 200 Rds in an hour, reasonably expected to melt it far in the past, I'm surprised that it lasted this long.
Mine is the plain garden-variety 4.2" GP-100 but the front sight is the HiViz aftermarket FO type. I've never melted a fiber optic rod in any pistol ever and I've had them on lots of guns, including a 1911 used in falling plate competition where its fired 35 to 40 rounds in less than 90 seconds and on a S&W 686 used in PPC competition where it's fired 12 rounds in 25 seconds and 18 rounds in 90 seconds. All of these are a lot faster than 200 rounds/hour.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
Me neither, this one has been on the downhill for a while now. The muzzle end of the tube is all crystalized and discolored. It was about 95 degrees in the Sun and I did not let the pistol cool, it was hot enough I had to wear gloves just to handle​the pistol. I don't think the melting was related to just this shooting session either, I'm sure it was cumulative. Either way i cajoled a service rep to send me a replacement tube, I'll measure it when it gets here and buy more replacements in that size as well as report the dimensions to the forum.
-FreuderLocks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If that front sight has been 'heat treated' so many times that the light pipe is melted why not just buy the whole front sight with maybe a few extra light pipes? Save yourself some trouble in the future. :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
If that front sight has been 'heat treated' so many times that the light pipe is melted why not just buy the whole front sight with maybe a few extra light pipes? Save yourself some trouble in the future. :D
Because enough plastic rod to make 100's of replacement inserts costs pennies.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:

Because the housing is metal and not inexpensive to replace. FO plastic tubes are pennies. I can get 100ft of tube or more (1000's of replacements for less than the actual sight blade. Heat treating happens at temperatures in excess of what it takes to melt FO.
Freuderlocks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Freuderlocks said:
Because the housing is metal and not inexpensive to replace. FO plastic tubes are pennies. I can get 100ft of tube or more (1000's of replacements for less than the actual sight blade. Heat treating happens at temperatures in excess of what it takes to melt FO.
Freuderlocks
You are right of course. I don't know why I thought the sight frame might be damaged. :oops:

They really should have included a few extra light pipes with the gun when you bought it.

gunzo

Hunter
The FO tube looks to be mushroomed on both ends on my early MC. Can't see how I could replace it without tearing it up. If already damaged, I don't see how the base would hold a new tube shy of gluing it, or being able to heat & brad the ends.
Interested to see what Ruger sends.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
gunzo said:
The FO tube looks to be mushroomed on both ends on my early MC. Can't see how I could replace it without tearing it up. If already damaged, I don't see how the base would hold a new tube shy of gluing it, or being able to heat & brad the ends.
Interested to see what Ruger sends.

A whole front sight post...

It's easy enough to change the light pipe, having the correct size is the issue. It's easy to install, u use a bic lighter and a razor blade. Use the blade to cut a longer than necessary bit of FO, or snap it off. use a lighter to melt the end, not by exposing the tube to the flame but by ex the end to heat. It will self mushroom. Next is the hard part. I usually work fro
m the front of the sight blade. Start by pushing the unmelted FO end through the back of the sight, using your best judgement estimate how long the tube needs to be BEFORE you heat the unmelted end. Again, without touching the flame of the lighter to the FO, carefully melt the end and it should secure itself in the sight blade.

A long description for a short procedure.

The CS rep seemed confused and couldn't tell me the effing diameter of the tube, instead he sent the entire sight, MSRP $45 Lol. Since driving the front sight out and replacing it is costly and time consuming (ammo, tools, range trip,..I'm going to use a hot razor blade to cut one end of the existing tube, mic it and go buy a few feet of the stuff.

Not the first time Ruger customer service has been given​q clear explanation of the problem and opened the more difficult path to solving the issue.

-FreuderLocks

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
Freuderlocks said:
Freuderlocks
You are right of course. I don't know why I thought the sight frame might be damaged. :oops:

They really should have included a few extra light pipes with the gun when you bought it.

Yes, that monsterously irritating that they didn't. Instead Ruger cost themselves $45 to send me the wrong part...

-the mildly irritated Freuderlocks

Edit: Sperring

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
I just got off the phone with NOVAK and a few FO suppliers in the area.
Even NOVAK was a bit unwilling to tell me the specs for whatever reason. The diameter is .080, an uncommon size...I did find a few distributors who sell such an item (also exactly 2mm). I'll try to find one locally and possible post a video of the replacement process to make this easier for others.

-FreuderLocks

gunzo

Hunter
Hard to measure but I believed mine was .080". I wasn't sure & wasn't going to tell you wrong. Glad you were told the correct dimension.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
gunzo said:
Hard to measure but I believed mine was .080". I wasn't sure & wasn't going to tell you wrong. Glad you were told the correct dimension.

It happens every once in a while lol...you know, getting the right information.

Plus my calipers are rarely wrong.

I'll follow up with a installation video and instructions.

-FreuderLocks