MARTY ROBBINS-'THE STRAWBERRY ROAN'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
Guess about everyone is familiar with that classic. The 4th of July rodeo made me remember the tune. It is a challenge to photograph fast action in low light.
Dr.C

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Doc Cash always takes outstanding photos!! I really like this one and I know everybody else does too! Thanks for posting. Gosh, that's good!
hs

Hugh

Buckeye
Great photo Doc. No intent to hijack the thread but it kinda reminds me of the Frederic Remington "Wicked Pony".
Wicked-Pony.jpg

6gun

Hunter
Cowboy gives the horse to much and rain and ends up being bucked down over the horse's head to eat dirt it looks like :p that is a good Marty Roblns song, Chris Ledoux sings that song also, Ledoux was the singing Rodeo man, anyone listen to him? I grew up listining to him playing his songs on a 8 track tape player in my old truck as I headed to ride in the rodeo's back when I was young and foolish, but still love good rodeo music.

doccash

Buckeye
6gun; Cowboy music is far removed from country music and yes, I like Chris L's music. Having said that I am a good friend of Don Edwards and really love the stuff he does. Dr.C :mrgreen:

6gun

Hunter
doccash said:
6gun; Cowboy music is far removed from country music and yes, I like Chris L's music. Having said that I am a good friend of Don Edwards and really love the stuff he does. Dr.C :mrgreen:

I'm not familar Don Edwards who is he?

A

Anonymous

For some reason, I love to see the riders get thrown. Just goes to show that humans aren't always the boss. Outstanding photography.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Dang good pic :!: The song is my friend and neighbor's second favorite next to Silver Tongued Devil. I love Chris Ledoux's music. Six Bucks a Day, Blue Bonnet Blues, The Old Double Diamond, You Just Can't See Him From the Road, This Old Horse Knows His Way Home, Stampede, Call of the Wild, One Ride in Vegas, Powder River Home, Photo Finish... I really could keep going awhile on this subject but I'll quit now :mrgreen:

callshot

Blackhawk
I have always liked that song, but for a different reason as I will now quote from my grandfathers life story. Page 290, vol. 1 quoted below.

His (Willard Call) reputation for taming a horse spread far. Some men came into town (Bancroft, Idaho) one Sunday morning with a horse that they wanted broken. One would have little suspected that it was a twin brother to the legendary Strawberry Roan. It was a beautiful animal, well worthy on infinite pains to break it to ride. When they sent for Willard he was on his way to Sunday School but he stopped to admire the horse and talk to the owner.

"Son, it's a fine animal." the owner spoke softly and stroked the horses shoulder. "He just doesn't understand. He seems to think he's supposed to buck--that, that is what is expected of him.

"I don't do this sort of thing on Sunday.". Willard repeated as he too stroked the glossy coat.

"I've got a long way to go." The owner started to urge, then suddenly struck out his hand in good-willed resignation. His big fingers closed over Willard's slender ones. "Thanks anyway."

But the croud was not to be denied it's holiday. More people had drifted up from the streets. The horses reputation had preceded it and the news spread fast that he was in town.

"Come on Willie! Scratch him a little." A Rudy urged. A few more took up the cause and wondered aloud if this priestly devotion might be a cover for his lack of courage.

Having never been thrown, Willard climbed onto the worst bronc he ever rode. There was no Sunday School that day. Young and old, saint and sinner were on the streets waiting for the outcome. Once he was thrown onto the horse's neck, striking the saddle horn as he went. There was a stunning shock. He fought down the pain and regained his seat. When the horse gave up, he got off, walked around it and remounted. The horse remained subdued. He had won again. The accomplishment added to his stature as a bronc buster but subtracted from his life a priceless possession. In later years, when his health failed, it was discovered as a contributing factor that his lower back bone (the coccyx) had been broken.

End of quote.

I never met my grandfather. He died about a year before I was born. He was quite a cowboy when young. He had a set of pearl gripped revolvers that he wore everywhere until he met my grand mother. When she ask him where he was going, he said to get married you comming. She said "Not as long as you wear those pistols." He took them off and never wore them again.

I Liked the song and thought you-all would enjoy the story of my grandfather riding the twin brother to the horse in the song and it just might be why I like revolvers.

Steve

my son in a Little Britches of Wisconsin Rodeo, next buck puts him over the top and into the dirt

that is a good Marty Roblns song, Chris Ledoux sings that song also, Ledoux was the singing Rodeo man, anyone listen to him?

you bet all the time

6gun

Hunter
Hawk-in-Wi said:
my son in a Little Britches of Wisconsin Rodeo, next buck puts him over the top and into the dirt

that is a good Marty Roblns song, Chris Ledoux sings that song also, Ledoux was the singing Rodeo man, anyone listen to him?

you bet all the time

Eating dirt, having a bull blow snott all over you and stomping you in the ground is part of the fun :p glad to see another son growing up right and carrying on our western heritage.

thank you
he is turning out to be a very good man
soon to be 22 , married and a dad , works a pretty darn good job , 2nd shift , also in the Army National Guard
he makes me Proud