Marlin 336 - Alternative for large loop levers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Hi All,

As a follow-up to my customizing my .30-30 336, I need a bigger loop to better fit my gorilla hands, especially when wearing gloves. I'm looking for the size of the Ranger Point Precision "medium" loop size, not the oversized "John Wayne" style.

The RPP loop is optimal, but I don't know if I want to spend the $150.00.

Are there more economical alternatives?

How hard would it be to take a standard size model and heat the loop enough to just open it up a bit? I'm thinking of wrapping the rest of the lever in wet rags to protect the temper and just use a torch to heat up the loop.

I wouldn't even worry about rebluing it...I'd just do a paracord or leather wrap on it afterwards.

Standard sized levers are readily available and fairly inexpensive...like $35-$40.

Thanks.

Aqualung

Well try it and see what happens. Me, I would just save my money and buy one already made. Knowing who ever did it likely failed a time or two. Trying to make one yourself that turns out right for you might take more than 1 35-40 dollar loop.
Did you mount a peep sight on the rifle?

Last edited:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Well try it and see what happens. Me, I would just save my money and buy one already made. Knowing who ever did it likely failed a time or two. Trying to make one yourself that turns out right for you might take more than 1 35-40 dollar loop.
Did you mount a peep sight on the rifle?

Well, I had a 336 lever on my fleabay watch list and the guy gave me an offer of $27 + $4 for shipping. For less than $35, I'll give it a shot.

I'll post my success or failure when I do it.

As for the peep sights, I got them, but haven't mounted them yet. Been a bit busy for projects of late, but I'll get to them before long.

Thanks.

Aqualung

mac66

Single-Sixer
to the OP....
There was a guy on the marlin forum years ago who posted about heating and stretching levers. I actually bought a lever off of ebay with the idea of doing that. Never got around to it and can no longer find his post but I know it can and has been done.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
to the OP....
There was a guy on the marlin forum years ago who posted about heating and stretching levers. I actually bought a lever off of ebay with the idea of doing that. Never got around to it and can no longer find his post but I know it can and has been done.

Thanks...that gives me hope.

Tracking says I should get it today...not sure when I'll get to do the project though. We'll see.

Aqualung

mac66

Single-Sixer
Thanks...that gives me hope.

Tracking says I should get it today...not sure when I'll get to do the project though. We'll see.

Aqualung

The way I remember it the guy heated it up with a torch and then banged it over a anvil horn. I think he said a simple propane torch would not work though. Could be wrong.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I tried propane (didn't think it would work, but worth a shot) and MAPP Gas...neither even touched the steel to get it hot enough...

Didn't have access to acetylene.

So, back on the search. I'd really like to find an OEM 336BL lever, but they're turning out to be a very rare thing...may just have to bite the bullet, so to speak...

Aqualung.

Using a plasma cutter and a TIG welder (both limit the heat generated by cutting/welding), you could easily alter the lever but the finish would never match. That wouldn't be an issue if you wrapped the reformed lever.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Using a plasma cutter and a TIG welder (both limit the heat generated by cutting/welding), you could easily alter the lever but the finish would never match. That wouldn't be an issue if you wrapped the reformed lever.

Very true, and my intent is to wrap the lever in something (leather or paracord), but I don't have access to those tools.

In my past, I've used both oxygen-acetylene cutting torches and stick welders and could have done the job if I still had access to those tools, but those days are long gone.

I'll keep searching for an OEM loop, but will most likely end up getting the RPP.

Thanks.

Aqualung

Latest posts