Main Spring & Hammer Strut

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
I cut a notch in one end of a quick grip bar clamp so that the strut could go through it. squeezed everything together and put a pin through the strut.

simply use an old kitchen fork...strut slides between the tines........and you can compress the spring to put in a pin or a nail or whatever..................
if you are in the shop, then put the cup in the vise and use a pair of pliers to push the strut and spring onto ( into ) the cup and again, then you can put in a nail or a pin......easier done than said..........

contender

Ruger Guru
If you plan on doing it a lot, a fork can bend at times. So I found a small cresent wrench adjusted to where the strut slides between the jaws works great as well. Just another tool idea to what Dan said!

Baldy

Single-Sixer
All I can say is Thanks a Million Gentleman for the good Ideas. I have several cresent wrenchs so I'll try that first. If no luck The wife is going to come up missing a fork for sure. :wink:

"think" about just "how" you intend to use the crescent wrench, it is NOT "pliers" you can and will poke yourself in the eye with something comes flying up or or slips out....... 8)
control is the trick and the secret, yes even strong fingers, and NO tools can get the job done :wink:

just a simple "safety reminder"...........have seen it happen :roll:

glockman99

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
"think" about just "how" you intend to use the crescent wrench, it is NOT "pliers" you can and will poke yourself in the eye with something comes flying up or or slips out....... 8)
control is the trick and the secret, yes even strong fingers, and NO tools can get the job done :wink:

just a simple "safety reminder"...........have seen it happen :roll:
EVERYTIME that I'm working with springs or something that can pop loose, I wear safety glasses...EVERYTIME.

Baldy

Single-Sixer
Well I tried the cresent wrench first but the only two I had were to thick. I could compress the spring but I didn't have enough room to get the pin in. So I went and got one of the wifes heavy duty forks and in a zip it was all done.

Thanks again Ruger Guy and Contender. Took every bit of 20 seconds to fix... :D

glockman99

Single-Sixer
Baldy said:
Well I tried the cresent wrench first but the only two I had were to thick. I could compress the spring but I didn't have enough room to get the pin in. So I went and got one of the wifes heavy duty forks and in a zip it was all done.

...A (heavy-duty) fork it is then... :)

piccolo

Bearcat
[/quote] ...EVERYTIME that I'm working with springs or something that can pop loose, I wear safety glasses...EVERYTIME.[/quote]

also a good idea is to do the work inside a large see thru baggy when possible. Nice to catch those flying parts !

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Baldy said:

A fork should be considered a mandatory tool for every Ruger revolver owner. :lol:
Sal

Baldy

Single-Sixer
Spring tool for Old & New Rugers hammer springs. (revolvers).

RugerSpringTool.jpg

The rawhide is so I can hang it on my bench... :D

Latest posts