Magazines for Mini-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Athanasor

Bearcat
If I buy a mini-14 with a 5 round magazine, will that rifle take a 20 round mag or are the mechanics of the 2 mags different.

I've never dealt with semi-auto rifles, only lever guns.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Get Ruger factory mags while they are cheap and availlible. Do not waste time or money with aftermarket junk. JMHO 8)

Athanasor

Bearcat
Don't yet own one, but seriously looking for another rifle and wrestling with two choices. You know how complicated that can be. Many variables.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
The best place to get Mini 14 Mags, in my experience, is CDNN Investments. they have the 'Premium Replacement' mags for the Mini 14 in 10, 20, and 30rd flavors. 14.99$ each. All of the ones I have bought from them are flawless so far. I believe they are National Magazine brand.

You want the ones that have the Green followers.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/mi14230blmag.html

oregon73

Blackhawk
psyclone66 said:
Get Ruger factory mags while they are cheap and availlible. Do not waste time or money with aftermarket junk. JMHO 8)

+1

The 20-round Factory magazines are workhorses. I highly recommend them. And I recommend getting them while you can. You never know when the gubberment is going to take them away.

Rob

oregon73

Blackhawk
Athanasor said:
Don't yet own one, but seriously looking for another rifle and wrestling with two choices. You know how complicated that can be. Many variables.

The Mini-14 is an excellent rifle and damn fun to shoot. I enjoy it more than an AR. Is it as accurate? Well, that depends. Works well on minute-of-bad-guy out to 100 yards, easy.

Rob

Athanasor

Bearcat
oregon73 said:
Athanasor said:

The Mini-14 is an excellent rifle and damn fun to shoot. I enjoy it more than an AR. Is it as accurate? Well, that depends. Works well on minute-of-bad-guy out to 100 yards, easy.

Rob

Like that last sentence, succinct and explains what I was trying to explain to a friend the other day about "targets" versus targets.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I enjoy shooting my mini's. The internet commandos who only shoot paper don't have a clue about practical accuracy when you're not on a shooting bench. If you're shooting prairie dogs at 300 yards the mini is not the tool for that. If you're shooting soda cans at a 100 it works just fine. 8" gong at 200 is just fine as well. I like the targets vs. "targets" analogy.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Treeline is approx 45 yards from back porch, coyotes hang out just inside the treeline at about 50 yards, They like the looks of my two little dogs, mini-14 by the door with 5 rds of HP ammo, little dogs are getting older, the coyotes are dying young.
Have a Great Day

Athanasor

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I've found that most after market high capacity mags will work on the mini-14 (and 30) if they are only loaded to about 75%... 15 in a 20 20-23 in a 30.

Athanasor: what's your other choice?

I forgot this thread after I got my answer. It just popped up in email notices today, so as not to be rude to blume357: My other choice was a completely different type of rifle - a Marlin 1895. Went that way and my new 1895GS is in the hands of UPS on the way to my FFL guy as I type.
8)

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
While I normally use the Ruger 20 rounders, I tried a TAPCO 30 round polymer magazine, and it worked great. Ended up buying 2 more.

ProMags I have had trouble with them locking in the gun, they are on a 50% success rate with my gun.