M77 338 win mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

old ford

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Mark 2 338 win mag, with tang safety made in 1977. I bought it in hopes of going to Alaska for moose next year. Haven't had time to shoot it yet. I would like some input on a couple things.

First can anyone suggest a factory round that groups good out to 300 or 350 yards? I don't want to bother working up a hand load for this rifle since it will rarely be shot once sighted in except at the range. I live in Ohio and this is more gun than I need around here.

Second, should I glass bed it?

Thanks for your help

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
A tang safety MkII?
No one can tell you what load will shoot well in your rifle. Pick ammo with the bullet you want to use and try it and go from there. I would try a 210gr Nosler Partition load myself. Moose are large animals but they are not particularly hard to kill. If you hit bone you need a substantial bullet to penetrate.
Don't know your recoil/shooting experience level but the 338WM is an order of magnitude more than a 30-06 class cartridge as far as recoil goes. Heavier bullets more so. Especially off a bench. 300-350yds is a fair poke under field conditions. Kill some paper at those ranges before the hunt from field positions. Don't rely on zeroing at a 100 and reading a drop table.
If you plan on keeping the rifle bedding is not a bad idea assuming you know what you are doing. I would certainly seal the inside of the stock regardless.

old ford

Bearcat
I apologize mine is not a mark 2. My father has the mark 2. The recoil doesn't bother me. I was going to have a local gunsmith bed the stock.

fremont

Bearcat
Re: bedding, you might find helpful the following post on bedding a M77. That said, having a 'smith do it makes sense if you've never done it before. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3003214/DIY_bedding_M77_(pic_heavy)#Post3003214

300-350 yards is a long poke, especially in some parts of Alaskan moose country. I don't own a 338WM, but I'd imagine those that do and have hunted moose with them might point you towards a premium (Barnes, etc.) bullet. (My .338 is a 338-06 Ackley, so I stay with lighter bullet weights, e.g., 200-215.) IMO, I'd angle towards a heavier .338" bullet for penetration (225's/250's).

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.

martyj

Blackhawk
Mine works fine with Nosler 210 and either H4350 or H4831.
Get a little more speed out of 4350.

35ruger

Single-Sixer
Federal Premium 210 gr. Nos. Par. shot very well out of my Ruger M77RP MKII in 338 win mag.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=314