lube/oil choices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triton186

Bearcat
with so many choices and new stuff always hitting the market, what is your favorite lube/oil product for use on rimfires? does it vary between semi, bolt, and wheel?

9x19

Hunter
Break Free CLP has worked for me for a long time... so see no reason to change.

JohnFLand

Bearcat
WeaponShield is my choice of oil for all of my weapons (>50). It has a higher viscosity than many other oils, so it sticks where you put it better and does not evaporate as fast; I think it works better than RemOil in those regards. It smells a lot better than most lubes (important for smooth domestic relations -- no pun intended).

My choices:
O MPro7 for general cleaning (won't smell like standard Hoppes). Note also that MPro7 *will* dissolve potassium chloride salts from corrosive ammo, so you don't have to add a "hot water" step to your cleaning regimen.
O MPro7 copper solvent and/or Sweet's 7.62 Solvent for copper cleaning.
O Breakfree CLP spray (with tube) for some removable assemblies (e.g., Remington 870 trigger assembly) that need a little cleaning and lubing when I don't want to do a detail strip.
O WeaponShield Oil for lubing rotating parts and general metal parts wipe-down.
O RemOil DRY lube spray for areas that should have a bit of lubrication but which get dirty fast (e.g., inside a Ruger 10/22 receiver).
O SlideGlide Lite for greasing sliding/rubbing parts (particular semi-auto handgun rails); I find this works better for me than TW25B grease (which is thinner in consistency but seems to harden more over time).
O Lubriplate 130-A for greasing my Ruger Mini's and military class rifles (e.g., M1 Garand, M1A, Molot Vepr) [although I just bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease to play with for this role].
O Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube Grease for chokes and other highly stressed threads (e.g., M1A muzzle brake).

I will occasionally use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray for very dirty *removed* gun parts; use gloves if you do and use it outside away from plants.

I'm also experimenting with a foaming bore cleaner (Shooter's Choice) for plastic residue in my shotguns. I'm still not sure if it works better than MPro7 and a brush, but I've only used it a couple of times so far.

Specialty items: Kroil (penetrating oil for stuck threads); EEZOX for corrosion protection for long term storage -- it drys to the touch; WD-40 Long-Term Corrosion Inhibitor (*not* regular WD-40) for even longer long term storage -- it leaves a slightly oily film; Armor All Natural Finish Detailer Protectant (the label says "non-greasy") for polymer stocks.

I've not tried Frog Lube, since I don't want to bake my guns (would cause a domestic issue), but I've heard people rave about it. I've tried a number of other products that likely would be fine, but I'm not seeing that they do better than those I've listed.

Boy. I guess I don't clean my guns as much as Wil Terry or JohnFland. I haven't tried them all or any that JohnFland mentions. I stick with Hopper 9 and rem oil. Hoopes also makes those field wipes. I take them to the range and wipe my guns down before the drive home and clean them there (home that is.)

JohnFLand

Bearcat
Different guns, different needs. Only my shotguns get plastic stuck in the barrel. I've never seen copper residue in any .22 rimfire I own, but I do see it in a Garand. Semi-auto handguns need grease, a revolver generally not. If you don't care about the odor, Hoppes will work fine as a cleaner for most guns, but it is not a good lube. Rem-Oil works decently as a lube for non-high power weapons (not Garands), but it's not the best around any more. Technology marches on ...

I'm pretty much old school. I clean the bore with Hoppe's #9 unless there's some intense copper fouling. I use RemOil for fire control areas, CLP for general lubing, and wheel bearing grease(or the old military "goose grease") for heavy duty lube. Add a tube of dry graphite and that pretty well covers whatever comes along.

LOTS of great stuff out there and MOST are "use specific", just read the labels, and bottom line use what works for YOU.....opinions are like BUTTS we all have one................brand names we use Breakfree CLP and Shooters Choice...........
hell, I still use WD-40 , ain't failed us yet, and for cleaning we use kerosene ( and acetone and toluene and carbon tet)!! :roll: (we won't get into the use of mercury... 8)

Hoppe's #9 Solvent and Hope's Gun oil or RemOil.

Occasionally WD-40 to "hose out" a really crappy gun, followed by the above. Kerosene works for this, but the aerosol cans are just too handy.

Keepin' it simple . . .

:)

4kdave

Blackhawk
+1 for Frog Lube and you don't have to bake the gun in the oven. Just put it where the Sun shines warm ie. in a window during Winter or outside during Summer. Great lube and doesn't attract dirt.

NZshooter

Bearcat
I've tried alot of what's out there and gave away all I had left. I strictly use Eezox now.

If your AR doesn't smoke like it just caught fire, you didn't use enough lube. Most of my bolt actions get very little lube. The pistols get some CLP on the bearing surfaces.

stevemb

Hunter
I shoot often but not high volume. A range in the backyard and another at camp. In both cases guns get cleaned within minutes so WD-40 works well enough for most things. For lubing I decided that the synthetic lubes for firearms were too expensive per ounce. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Yrs ago had trouble with regular gun oils in intense cold. The can of CorrosionX that was bought for the garage door hinges and track has been tried a couple times, not sure about that yet. When I've been to weekend long classes/courses a more serious cleaning with Hoppes #9 follows. If hunting in the rain, a spray down with WD-40 and a drip dry, followed by cleaning.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
CajunBass said:
I use whatever is handy. I've used Hoppes, RemOil, Break-Free, 3 in 1, motor oil, "gun oil", "reel oil", WD-40, silicone spray, Gun Scrubber...you get the idea.
Oh for Petes sake ... just spit on it ... LOL !