Clean and Lube information Mark III

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barnesrl

Bearcat
Can any one point me to a location where I can find cleaning and lubrication information for my 22 45 Mark III.

I am used to Glock which are pretty much a dry gun. ? 5 drops of oil?

My Mark III was very oily out of the box and I dried it up some what and took to firing. Same with my LC9 Looked like it was dipped in a bucket of oil lol.

Now the Mark III seem to have a lot of problem with FTF and Double feeds . Probably 30 failures out of 500 rounds. Kind of disappointing. The magazines were so rough (DRY) when pushing the loading button down to load the shells in. I did lube one a bit and it helped. But am i just adding a problem by allowing mor oily surfaces for residue to collect?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
barnesrl said:
The magazines were so rough (DRY) when pushing the loading button down to load the shells in. I did lube one a bit and it helped. But am i just adding a problem by allowing mor oily surfaces for residue to collect?

Hi,

Fox Mike pointed you in a good direction to start. If you don't have an owners manual, you should be able to download one from the Ruger website.

On the mags--I've had some that were nice and smooth from the get go, some that needed to be "touched up" a bit. (Mk II, but same thing probably applies to the Mk III versions)

Disassemble the mag and clean everything out of it (the manual should show how if you're not sure.) Wipe the spring and follower clean. Now, look at the slot the little follower button rides in. It's stamped, and may have more than enough burrs to explain the roughness and malfunctioning.

A fine stone, small file, or just some 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper w/ a drop of oil on it will all do the job of deburring the slot. Go gently: you don't want to "take off" metal, just smooth the rough edges.

Reassemble the mag w/ just a touch of oil wiped onto the spring (more for protection than lubrication.) A Q-tip can be used to put some oil on the inside of the mag itself. Again, just a tiny bit! When it's all back together, a tiny drop of oil on the follower button where it contacts the slot isn't a bad idea.

As w/ so many things Ruger, the more you use your mags, the smoother they'll become. I'm sure folks' drills for disassembly and cleaning of mags are all over the chart: I usually do mine after each brick/bulk box of 500-550 rounds.

Good luck!

Rick C