MOBLE 5W30 OIL TO LUBE YOUR 10/22 TAKEDOWN RIFLE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schooner

Bearcat
Hi Guys :)

I happened to come across a Youtube video on: Using Moble Oil to lube Ruger 10/22
Have any you guys use any kind of car motor oil to lube your firearm ?
Please tell me you experiences using motor oils for lubing your firearms.

I'd leave it alone unless that's all you got. A good quality gun oil / cleaner & conditioner like break free or Rem oil has a number of items in it to make things 'better' and a can does not cost that much and will last a long time.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Leave the motor oils to the motors. Get yourself some Frog Lube and don't look back.

9x19

Hunter
As my machine shop instructor liked to say: Any is better than none.

There are lots of home recipes on the 'net using motor lubricants - synthetic oils, transmission fluid, etc.

It's your gun, if you want to make your own, go for it... but it's easier for me to just buy Break-free CLP. :D

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
How many here against it have actually used motor oil on your gun? Or is there a lot of dissing it without first hand experience?

Buddy if mine told me that is all they used on their rifles in the military. He used mobil synthetic and still does. He said function was just fine and clean up was easier in his mind. I have to say after trying it , I agree. If it works that good on an AR , why wont it be as effective on a 10/22 or anything else?

9x19

Hunter
I admit I retired from the military a good long time ago, but we used Break Free CLP on the M16s back then.

I've tried Mobil synthetic (left overs from my sons's oil change), and it worked fine, but I still prefer CLP.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
How many here against it have actually used motor oil on your gun? Or is there a lot of dissing it without first hand experience?

Have used it. Just found something better, not as messy what I feel works better.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
BlkHawk73 said:
Have used it. Just found something better, not as messy what I feel works better.

I dont use it myself either besides an AR. Actually my 10/22's see very little lube or cleaning. Once in a while they get your basic white lithium grease up in the action and thats about it.

A lot of these high priced lubes are just overpriced white lithium grease anyway in my opinion. Buy a great big tube for $6-$8 that takes a long long time to use up and works just as well as most everything out there. Or pay 3-4 or more times the money for a tiny tube of the same stuff renamed some wonder lube. My $.02 anyway.

I've had acceptable results using Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic on firearms. Not saying it's better or even as good as something like CLP(which is a compromise in itself) but it's basically free if you drain the bottles from oil changes.
A drop of oil here and there won't break most pocketbooks BUT it's good to know what will work in an emergency.

hittman

Staff member
One of them little orange bottles of the Hoppes brand oil will last most folks for years and years. Unless of course they're an over-oiler or newbie. Lord knows there's plenty of over-oilers .........

FiremanBob

Bearcat
The problem with any oil or liquid lube in a .22 rimfire semiauto is that large amounts of carbon and other crud get blown back into the action on every shot. This is a feature of the blowback action. When this stuff mixes with oil it turns to a sticky sludge very quickly. I've had to do complete teardowns, including the firing pin, on the line when people experience malfunctions due to gummy actions.

It is better to use a dry lube on the inner receiver and bolt such as Liquid Wrench Dry Lube, DuPont Teflon, or my favorite Eezox. Let it dry before reassembly. And go light on the lube - a thick coat will be no better than oil.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

There's a skeptical side of me that says 99% of all "specialty" gun oils come out of the bottom of the barrel after they've filled all the "3 in 1" cans... :oops:

For oil lubes, I've used 3 in 1, conventional motor oils (10W-30 usually), synthetic motor oils (5W-30 and 10W-30), Hoppes and Outers "gun oils" and whatever Rem-Oil is. Of those, the only one I didn't care for is Rem-Oil. It seems to be kinda like WD-40: wets things down nicely then evaporates. My preferred choices are 3 in 1 and the Hoppes and Outer's offerings.

The motor oils do work fine for lubrication, but one must be careful to use them VERY sparingly to avoid making a goopy mess. That can be problematic with autoloaders for sure. Otherwise, if one remembers "less is more" with so much gun lubrication, I doubt it makes a nickel's worth of difference what one likes or uses...

Rick C

Precision32

Blackhawk
I don't lube the insides of the action other than the charging handle and rod and then only one drop of M-PRO 7. I do wipe down the outside of the barrel with the same product for rust protection.

hogan

Single-Sixer
My Dad always swore by three in one oil, but his idea of cleaning was to drop a nail and string down the barrel and pull an oiled rag.
Guess his method was the predecessor of the bore snake :mrgreen:

woodsy

Blackhawk
I use Mobil 1 exclusively. Can't beat the price, especially considering the volume of usage.
Plus, it clings to steel better than most alternatives. And for the final plus, it smells a whole lot less.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
My current Blend is I believe a 50/50 blend of 0W 20 Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and 0W 20 synthetic ATF probably Dextron III or higher.

I am using the Royal Purple motor oil for the color, Mobil 1 works fine.
I seriously doubt that most gun oil you buy are superior to this blend.

Lucas Gun Oil is Very Popular in my area. Buy a bottle of it, and then mix up a 50/50 batch of 0W 20 synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil and 0W 20 synthetic ATF (Dextron III). Now try them side by side and tell me which one is a better oil. I am sure you cannot tell the oils apart by looks or in use. I buy the Lucas myself to have the bottles when empty to refill with my blend. I do use them both, and cannot tell any difference in them at all other than the cost.
The Lucas Gun Oil is very good oil, and I highly recommend it for those buying Gun Oil.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on the bet that most commercial Gun Oils are either marketed for some other use and repackaged as Gun Oil, or are a blend of readily available products like motor oil and ATF.

Now I am not saying to not buy specialty lubricants. I do use the Remington Dry Lube, and a special grease for stainless steel on my SS Colt slide. I have a box full of different gun oils in the shop that I have bought to try out, and do not use anymore. None that I would rate as Bad, but none that I find to be an improvement over Lucas Gun Oil OR my 50/50 Blend.

Kinda like Gun Scrubber and Brake Parts Cleaner. I use them both for hosing out my AR15-22, and other things that are really dirty before I get started cleaning them. Is one better than the other for hosing out a filthy action?? I am not sure myself and I use them both.

Bob

5of7

Hunter
For the trigger mechanisms I use WD40. Spray it on and use compressed air to remove the excess. WD40 is also my favorite for the outside of the gun to prevent rusting. Spray it on a cloth and just wipe the gun down.

Now as a lubricant for the parts that slide over one another, any gun grease applied with a Q tip is the way to go. Just get a little on the Q tip and rub it into or onto the affected parts and be careful not to over lube. Over lubing is the genesis of many fouling problems. 8)

ngzcaz

Bearcat
rugerjunkie said:

Buddy if mine told me that is all they used on their rifles in the military. He used mobil synthetic and still does. He said function was just fine and clean up was easier in his mind. I have to say after trying it , I agree. If it works that good on an AR , why wont it be as effective on a 10/22 or anything else?

Well... I have. I'll only use synthetic just in case I go hunting in the cold. Its a thin oil and doesn't gel. I also use synthetic clock oil. Just an opinion but guys get carried away with advertising. I mean it's too cheap. Who wants a lifetime of gun oil for $ 5.00 ? What will we talk about around the campfire ? :roll:

Latest posts