SSS convert ammo choices?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merle1948

Buckeye
Greetings,

I have been trying to find a 22 LR load that will shoot well in my 9-1/2" convertible. Last weekend I took 12 different loads to the range. I tried match grade, standard & high velocity ammo. Nine of them displayed keyholes at 7 yards, with several loads appearing to be completely sideways. Normally I would consider this to be a problem with the cylinder timing, but I used this gun in IHMSA competition clear out to 100 yards & it shot well back then. The ammo I used was Federal Silhouette, which is now sadly out of production.

I "think" I have noticed a trend to shoot match grade somewhat better, plus a couple of standard velocity loads that were marginal. That got me to wondering if the slower subsonic ammo might work even better. I'm assuming that slower bullets take the somewhat oversized rifling better and/or the rate of twist is an issue for skipping the rifling.

Has anyone experimented along these lines? What did you learn? Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I use Paco Kelly's Accurizer and shoot the cheap stuff........

I do not shoot in competitions, though.

flatgate

132835047.jpg

132835046.jpg

Two of my shooters.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
I use Paco Kelly's Accurizer and shoot the cheap stuff........

I do not shoot in competitions, though.

flatgate

Exactly what is this process ? I've seen it mentioned before, but not with an explanation .??!

Merle1948

Buckeye
Uncle Howie said:
41 Magnum said:
Exactly what is this process ? I've seen it mentioned before, but not with an explanation .??!

41 Mag- This ought to get you pointed in the right direction:
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

HMMM Sounds interesting. Has anyone got any before and after test results to share?

:idea: :idea: :idea:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Upon further thought I think your barrel is fouled......

I'd wrap a small piece of a copper "Chore Boy" pot scrubber around your bore brush. This contraption should fit the bore TIGHTLY and require some force to push through the barrel.

flatgate

MKII

Single-Sixer
I'd venture a bet your barrel is fouled/leaded as flatgate mentioned. Inspect the bore closely, especially around the forcing cone. Good luck to you.

Merle1948

Buckeye
flatgate said:
Upon further thought I think your barrel is fouled......

I'd wrap a small piece of a copper "Chore Boy" pot scrubber around your bore brush. This contraption should fit the bore TIGHTLY and require some force to push through the barrel.

flatgate

Thanks for the tip.

:) :) :)

Merle1948

Buckeye
MKII said:
I'd venture a bet your barrel is fouled/leaded as flatgate mentioned. Inspect the bore closely, especially around the forcing cone. Good luck to you.

Since I have been shooting only jacketed 22 mags I never considered the forcing cone. Thanks.

:) :) :)

Latest posts