Frog lube warning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gig

Single-Sixer
Just a heads up on the process, not the product.

The other day I did a complete disassembly for cleaning and frog lube application on a MKll.
From my experience the lube works great if used alone and consistently, however be aware of the first application recommendation to "heat" the parts for better uptake of the lube.

I had all the trigger-hammer parts removed and applied heat.
This was fine on all parts except for the stand alone springs like the bolt hold open spring.

Upon reassembly, the small spring would not fit back into its home slot just left of the trigger top block.
I suspect the heat expanded the spring.
I have a replacement spring on order from Ruger.

I know, I know,,,it was a dumb A_ _ thing to do; but I posted just in case I'm not the only dumb A_ _ in the world.

gig

Single-Sixer
Precision32 said:
Just how hot did you get it? Springs are tempered at 600 to 700 degrees.

Hummmmmmmm, maybe that's not my problem because I seriously doubt I got it that hot just using a hair dryer.
But it seemed on disassembly the spring just came out easily; however it would not go back in.
I guess when I get the new one from Ruger I will know if that really was the problem.

As a gunsmith, do you have any input as to why the spring would not go back in?
I cleaned and picked at the hole making sure there was nothing lodged in it.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Precision32

Blackhawk
How did you hold your mouth?

Serious, you just have to look at the parts and keep trying. You'll hit the point where it goes together and think to yourself "that was easy." Unless you had to force it out of the drilling, you should not have to use force to replace it. Some times with springs in a deep hole you need to "screw" them in. Just don't force it to the point you break or kink it.

There's no chance you got two springs swapped around; perhaps the extractor spring?

gig

Single-Sixer
Precision32 said:
....There's no chance you got two springs swapped around; perhaps the extractor spring?

Dumb, da Dumb-Dumb..................

Precision32 your the man.
I've already admitting to being the dumb A_ _ here; but now I am declaring your the genius.

I didn't have the two springs switched around, but I have the two plungers switched. (one is longer than the other)
I also had a mental block, and thanks for shaking me loose from the block.

I'm here to tell ya in this case "ignorance was not bliss"; however I do feel a since of accomplishment and now do have peace of mind.

I promise I do better when working on my JD & Cat farm tractors.

Hey MAN, thanks again.
gig
ps: I guess now my FL warning is when heating with the wife's blow dryer, don't let it blow the little parts around so they get all mingled together.

gig

Precision32

Blackhawk
It's like I tell my grandson, it's not that I'm any smarter than you are, I've just been kicked in the teeth more times! :D

Some times you just have to walk away and come back and look at it again. I mean, if someone got it together the first time it has to go back together a second time. Glad I was able to help.

gig

Single-Sixer
To be honest, I would not mind if mgt wiped this thread off the face of the world; however maybe it will keep someone else from making the same mistake I made.

Precision32

Blackhawk
A gent on another forum I post on closes with the following;

"Learn from other peoples mistakes, you don't have time to make them all yourself!"

We all make mistakes. Life is a series of nonfatal mistakes. :wink:

Latest posts