Lube needed with Redding profile crimp 44 mag die?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

p5200

Bearcat
I purchased a Redding pro series set of dies for .44 mag and the directions for the profile crimp die suggests using a little lube with it for smoother operation. Does anyone else, that uses these die sets use lube with their profile crimp die? Thanks! :)

Chief 101

Hunter
I've use Redding dies with success and without reading the instructions...maybe I been doing it all wrong...A little sizing wax might make it smoother, might not. Try both ways see what works.

mikld

Blackhawk
loaded round said:
I use Redding dies and this is the first time I heard about lubing the profile crimp die.
Me too. I think I got my 44 Magnum Redding Profile Crimp die around 1990. Excellent tool, but I have never lubed a case for crimping. Some mention that lubing some cases for use in carbide sizing dies helps sizing, 44 Mag being one often mentioned, never heard of lubing for crimping...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Personal opinion (I use Lee dies) is that whenever two pieces of metal are moving in contact with each other, a bit of some kind of lube is seldom a bad idea. Many years ago I read a suggestion on using a tiny bit of lube on carbide dies. I tried it, and that tip reinforced my overall belief! ;)

Try the profile die both ways and go from there... I doubt the good folks at Redding would make that suggestion just to use up spare ink. They've been at this quite a long time, ya know?

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
The carbide on sizing dies is a very hard, slick/smooth material, and intended to replace lubing cases. A small amount of case lube helps but is far from necessary (and I can't remember any manufacturers recommending lube either). Crimping dies are (mostly) just steel to brass, minimal contact with just a few thousandths of an inch contact. Doubtful if lubing the case would make the operation any easier or preserve the die "life" at all. I got my first Profile Crimp Die from Redding in about 1990 and this is the first time I've heard of lubing for crimping. Perhaps the OP misread and saw a hint to lube a sizing die...

FWIW; a "bad" idea for lubing a metal to metal contact is on threads. The torque can vary greatly when tightening a nut or bolt. In some applications torque is specified for a clean no oil, or plated, and dry, or a dry, clean bolt/nut and may be different for each type of fastener...

But just an old guy's wandering mind...

Johnnu2

Hunter
Quote: "FWIW; a "bad" idea for lubing a metal to metal contact is on threads. The torque can vary greatly when tightening a nut or bolt. In some applications torque is specified for a clean no oil, or plated, and dry, or a dry, clean bolt/nut and may be different for each type of fastener..."

I think I may have finally found the reason why manufacturers do NOT recommend using 'Never Seize' compound on the threads of spark plugs (and maybe oil too)....(maybe especially with aluminum heads that are in most cars these days ?)....???

J

"I think I may have finally found the reason why manufacturers do NOT recommend using 'Never Seize' compound on the threads of spark plugs"
Maybe so/maybe no. I've been doing this for at least 20 years w/o any misfortune.

mikld

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
"I think I may have finally found the reason why manufacturers do NOT recommend using 'Never Seize' compound on the threads of spark plugs"
Maybe so/maybe no. I've been doing this for at least 20 years w/o any misfortune.
The last 25 years of my career was with a large city department of water and power as an Auto Electrician. When I started I was doing tune ups and told to not use anti-seize on spark plugs because of possibility of them "working loose" (and I have seen this happen). I changed plugs in thousands of autos, pick ups, and smaller gas powered trucks and never put anti seize on one. But we did not allow the plugs to go so long as to rust in place. Anti-seize is OK on threads that will be used again fairly soon, but for a long lasting, critical situation clean metal to metal contact is best. But, just like wearing tighty-whities vs boxers it ain't no big deal what you choose to do with your spark plugs... 8)