44 mag reload question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I've still got to get a couple manuals.For now I was hoping to get this ?? Cleared up. No well if memory serves me correct,,,,,,or.... question is 240 gr.Hp/xtp COPPER PLATED JACKETED. .(430) Bullets be ok to load in my SBH 44mag. Or do i need .429. Just drove 2 hrs to buy powder ,primers,and bullets.Ive loaded 44 mag years ago but just don't remember on the .429 and .430 thing. Your expertise is very much appreciated.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Yes I need to order some lead flat points with the 2 grease rings with the blue lube on them.Thats what I use to shoot all the time in a srh. Thankyou
I just got these today so I would have something to load. They didn't have a big selection.Thanks again

Rclark

Hunter
As for bullets, you can always order on-line. For example I buy all my bullets from Rim Rock Bullets, but there are many other places to to buy bulk bullets (everyone has a favorite).

NikA

Buckeye
If the OP is referring to Hornady XTP bullets, all the varieties I know of a jacketed. No sure if there are clones out there that are plated.

.429 vs. .430 is basically a wash for plated or jacketed bullets. I never got lead bullets under .432 to work well in .44 cartridges, even at mild speeds had leading problems. Moved up to .432 or .433 and those went away. Something to consider before buying a pile of lead bullets for these cartridges.

The XTP's are great bullets, I've used thousands of them in .430" in my Ruger Double Actions with great success, so I think you'll be pleased.

I think we all know that the XTP's are jacketed bullets, not plated. :)

crow#2

Single-Sixer
If the OP is referring to Hornady XTP bullets, all the varieties I know of a jacketed. No sure if there are clones out there that are plated.

.429 vs. .430 is basically a wash for plated or jacketed bullets. I never got lead bullets under .432 to work well in .44 cartridges, even at mild speeds had leading problems. Moved up to .432 or .433 and those went away. Something to consider before buying a pile of lead bullets for these cartridges.
Nikka is there any pressure concerns when going to the
.432 and .433.
I've loaded alot many years ago but have forgot most of the rules and or cautions.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Yes I need to order some lead flat points with the 2 grease rings with the blue lube on them.Thats what I use to shoot all the time in a srh. Thankyou
I just got these today so I would have something to load. They didn't have a big selection.Thanks again
When shooting hard cast lead do I need to go up to .432diam.

Enigma

Hunter
The easiest way to tell without shooting is to "slug" the bore by driving a soft round ball (i.e., for muzzle loading) through the barrel and measuring the groove diameter.

And then use pin gauges to see what diameter your chamber throats are. A too-small throat will size the bullets down before the hit the forcing cone. Normally not a huge problem with Ruger .44s, but their .45 SA revolvers are a known problem.

Rclark

Hunter
The bullet should slip into the throats with finger pressure. The throats also need to be at least .001 over bore side. Most bores are going to be .429, so .430 bullets should be used ... but if throats are larger than .430, the bullets should be sized to fit the throats.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I don't reload so I wonder where all the factory bullets are going as so many gun shops don't have any.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd say that bullet manufacturers have re-set their machines to produce more of the "necessary" bullets over other slower sellers. Same with ammo.

Latest posts