looking to trade a redhawk 357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zazing

Bearcat
Gentlemen,
I have a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" SS 357 magnum in very good condition. i love this piece and have probably put at least 500 rounds through it in 38 special and 357 at the range. Its serial number states 1984 manufacture. Like all that shoot and care for their toys once it comes home it gets a complete cleaning, full breakdown. I did modify the spring pack to reduce double action from 22 lbs to about 8 lbs. For some strange reason I am thinking of trading my lil sweetheart for a 6" chiappa stainless chambered in 357. Any thoughts on this? Like maybe I'm kinda nutso?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Keep the Redhawk and buy the Chiappa when you can, no good can come from trading or selling a firearm that you like, and you never have too many.

contender

Ruger Guru
While the Redhawk is a big 357,, I wouldn't give it up like that.
Buy the chiappa, try it out, and then if you decide to not keep the Redhawk, you could EASILY sell it outright here. And for more money than you'd get in a trade-in.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
contender said:
While the Redhawk is a big 357,, I wouldn't give it up like that.
Buy the chiappa, try it out, and then if you decide to not keep the Redhawk, you could EASILY sell it outright here. And for more money than you'd get in a trade-in.

ditto :wink:

regards , brushunter

Zazing, welcome to the Forum, and I agree with the above,better to keep it, MAINLY cause most shops or people will NOT give you anywhere what the "357 mag" redhawk is REALLY worth...scarce gun

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I sold off my 5.5" 357 Redhawk (and the 41 and 45, too) but kept the 7.5" 357 (and the 5.5" 44) 8)

You'll probably regret by-bying the 357; it is almost irreplaceable.

willk

Blackhawk
Don't know what they sell Chipawas for but I can tell you that Redhawks in .357 are increasing in value daily. The appreciation simply cannot be appreciated (pun intended)

Yep, keep the Redhawk. I sold my GP-100 that was a shooter. I was good with that for about a year. All sorts of regret now! See if you can rent a Chiappa or shoot a friends before committing hard earned cash for it.
gramps

jaguar88xj6

Bearcat
I would'nt trade my 71/2" ss 357 Redhawk for anything less than an all matching p08 Luger. But since I already have one of those also, probably would'nt even do that.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I distincly recall holding a 7.5" 357 back around '92 and thinking to myself "this thing is so big and heavy it's just plain stupid".

I was the stupid one. The 357-version Redhawk is simply a recoil-eating monster of great (potential) accuracy, able to digest virtually any load.

I said 'virtually' 8)

Dan in MI

Staff member
I had a .357 Redhawk in my mitts back in '88. It was tagged $200. I was out of state and short on time. I WANTED it. Just couldn't make it work. I've been lamenting that missed opportunity almost since that day.

Anybody have a time machine I can borrow?

DON'T TRADE THE REDHAWK. If you no longer want it that's fine, but don't give it away.

5of7

Hunter
willk said:
Don't know what they sell Chipawas for but I can tell you that Redhawks in .357 are increasing in value daily. The appreciation simply cannot be appreciated (pun intended)

The wholesale on the gun he wants is $800+ for a new gun. 8)

Bobthegod

Bearcat
Well I'll help ya out. You tell me which Chippa you want, I'll go buy it and trade you for the Redhawk.

I'll be happy for along time and you'll be happy for a couple of days.

Keep the Redhawk.

Major T

Blackhawk
I had to google the sight to see what you wanted. IMO, you got to be out of your ever loving mind. Get help quickly. Jack

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I assume you are considering the Chiappa Rino. If so, I recommend that you shoot one with full power .357 ammo before buying. That low bore has its downside in that the recoil is straight back into your hand with no rotation to soften the blow. With .38 Special it's not bad but the full .357 recoil can be pretty severe. Try before you buy.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
If you got a "lil sweetheart" you're in love with you will aways regret it when you jump the fence! You will find yourself thinking...
"I sure wish I had my lil sweetheart to look at and caress and then play with for a good stress relief session! I sure do miss her..."

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I would skip the Rhino. The only kind words I have heard about them has been from Gun Writers. They seldom bad mouth a provided gun.

The only Chiappa I have been around was junk. It was not the Rhino however.

Selling a 357 RedHawk is a big mistake.
Someone on here would give it a good home however.

Bob
ICORE MO2908

Latest posts