Loading to the Max and then some.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Timber Faller

Bearcat
Enigma said:
I routinely load .44 Spl over book max, but I'm using sane loads (the "Skeeter" load) in modern, strong guns. I have tried Linebaugh-level .45 Colt loads, and found them everything Mr. Linebaugh claims them to be - accurate, powerful enough to kill anything I'm ever likely to encounter in the Lower 48, etc. Problem is that they hurt my wrist, and I don't enjoy shooting them. The old cavalry load of 40 grains of FFFg and a 250-ish FRN bullet will supposedly shoot through-and-through a horse. That's all that I need, so I now load my various .45 Colts with equivalent smokeless loads. The older I get (I'm only 59), the less I enjoy wrist-wrecking, fire-belching, flinch-inducing handgun loads. I figure that if I need more power than a factory .44 Magnum load, I'll use either my .35 Whelen or .458 Lott.
Oh Yeah. Can you dig it?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
.32 S&W Long in solid frame S&W , yup . .32Mag in Ruger , yup.

.38 Spl & .357 ? Well ... Let's just say the concept of max has shifted a lot over time.

.44spl , yup .

.44Mag , see .38-.357 comment.

.45Colt - I have lots of respect for the 250/255 RNFP @ 850-900 fps, and indeed it can work better than implied on paper. And unless brain or spine is struck , boar typically receive multiple shots. That said gone over that in Rugers.

110gr and 125gr factory loads will break 2000fps in 20in .357 carbines.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I guess I am a wimp, I never even go beyond mid range of "Ruger only" loads for the .45 Colt in my RH's or BH 's.
Since I shoot mostly for fun(target) , I find mid range Ruger Only loads will fully penetrate even the toughest paper target or soft drink can. YMMV ;)

john guedry

Single-Sixer
I don't load anything "hot", not concerned about wear and tear on the gun, but on me. I am not into pain.

rjwinz

Bearcat
Biggfoot44 said:
110gr and 125gr factory loads will break 2000fps in 20in .357 carbines.

For some reason the .357 magnum seems to gain the most velocity in a long gun, as much as 500-600 fps, as opposed to other handgun cartridges. I think the .44 magnum comes in second on gain. Anyone know the reason? Is is just case length and the room for slower powders?

bwelch47

Bearcat
Loading over suggested maximum loads can be dangerous. Your gun may perform with many reloads but the tinsel strength of the metal weakens. Finally a light load can cause to explode. I witness this event as a youth. The gun used was a Ruger no 1 in 45-70. The person was seriously injured and spent many months recovering.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I dunno about "anemic" as the old BP load was capable of taking down an indian pony at 100 yds as I hear it...

Compared to the Linebaugh loads we now use in our Blackhawks, I suppose.

The only "50K" loads that I have ever heard of are those Mr Linebaugh uses as proof loads...(60K I believe) Where are you finding this "data"? I stay in the 25K area as max and feel no need to go any higher with the .45 LC...

Paul B

Hunter
For those looking for Linebaugh data, just google John Linebaugh. That gets you his website and his professionally pressure tested data. Also IIRC, how to order one of his guns should you be so inclined. I like his .45 Colt data for use in a 5.5" Ruger Bisley. I wouldn't use it in my old model Ruger .45 Colt but in the Bisley it's a screamer.
Paul B.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bwelch47 said:
Loading over suggested maximum loads can be dangerous. Your gun may perform with many reloads but the tinsel strength of the metal weakens. Finally a light load can cause to explode. I witness this event as a youth. The gun used was a Ruger no 1 in 45-70. The person was seriously injured and spent many months recovering.

Hi,

I had a display case of "torn and broken" steel when I ran the trap and skeet range. It was all from shotguns, which operate at much lower pressures than just about any handgun and just about every rifle cartridge I can think of. The failure mechanism was always described in the same way: "I was just shooting a regular target load!" True, that last round was a "regular" load, but we also knew the shooters well enough to remember every one of 'em had subjected their gun to "over maximum" loads for some time prior to its coming apart. The accumulating damage wasn't visible until too late...

One question that came up frequently about some of the bits was "Why is it so rusty?" The answer: "Blood does that to steel." Fortunately, none of the injuries on our range were very serious. So for those who feel they know more and better than the guys in the white lab coats with their millions of dollars worth of testing equipment, please be careful!

Rick C

bwelch47

Bearcat
Rick Courtright said:
bwelch47 said:

Hi,

I had a display case of "torn and broken" steel when I ran the trap and skeet range. It was all from shotguns, which operate at much lower pressures than just about any handgun and just about every rifle cartridge I can think of. The failure mechanism was always described in the same way: "I was just shooting a regular target load!" True, that last round was a "regular" load, but we also knew the shooters well enough to remember every one of 'em had subjected their gun to "over maximum" loads for some time prior to its coming apart. The accumulating damage wasn't visible until too late...

One question that came up frequently about some of the bits was "Why is it so rusty?" The answer: "Blood does that to steel." Fortunately, none of the injuries on our range were very serious. So for those who feel they know more and better than the guys in the white lab coats with their millions of dollars worth of testing equipment, please be careful!

Rick C
Thanks for the reply. The person mentioned above was trying to obtain Winchester 458 Mag results from the 45-70.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
After reading a few threads about loading the 45colt to levels I have never heard of before (40-50K)

As a side question; anyone shoot a pistol caliber bullet over 2000fps? :D

Again I ask you...Where are these 50K loads you speak of for the .45 LC?

As to your side question, have you ever heard of the .460 S&W mag?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:
After reading a few threads about loading the 45colt to levels I have never heard of before (40-50K)

As a side question; anyone shoot a pistol caliber bullet over 2000fps? :D

As to your side question, have you ever heard of the .460 S&W mag?
Check back a year or more ago when I originally posed this. There was talk on the forum about those extreme pressures in handguns somewhere.

Maybe it was when they were being shot out of a 454? :wink:

Paul B

Hunter
Google John Linebaugh. His site has pressure tested loads for Ruger revolvers only and other heavy frame .45's. Not safe for Colt's and clones of Colts. In something like a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt they're safe and place the old warhorse on the same level as a .44 Magnum. I've tried a few of his loads and they're very good, accurate and hit hard. Ross Seyfried once said that if he had to go with a factory gun shooting hot .45 caliber loads, he would take a 5.5" Ruger Bisley and never look back. I shoot Linebaugh level loads in mine and I like it better than the .44 mag.
Paul B.

RalphS

Single-Sixer

Brian Pearce published 50K PSI loads for the Redhawk 45LC in Handloader a couple of years ago.

It was discussed on this forum last year, and someone even posted the load data
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=211498

And for the record, I've loaded and tested 330 grain and 345 grain Beartooth Bullets to about 1230 fps out of a 4 inch RH45 using H-110 and my load data comes within a grain or two of the Pearce data. I haven't tried any 360 gr loads. The 345 at 1230 fps is about the limit of what I can handle.