Loading to the Max and then some.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
After reading a few threads about loading the 45colt to levels I have never heard of before (40-50K) I thought I would ask how many here regularly load cartridges for certain guns that are way over SAAMI Max. I mean like Ruger Only loads for their Blackhawks and over Ruger Only loads for their Redhawks but also how about heavier loads for their 44mags and 357mags.

I have never loaded over max in my 44 Redhawk but it is reassuring to know that I can.

I bet the GP-100 and the SP-101 could also take over Max loads. I just don't do it.

I sometimes crack the Max level in a couple of my pistol caliber rifles but not much over. :D

As a side question; anyone shoot a pistol caliber bullet over 2000fps? :D

mikld

Blackhawk
Not I. I just have a couple different Magnums; 5, .44s and 1, .357 and I have not been able to find a need to load "hot". When I first started reloading for my .44s I tried a few upper/near max/max loads, but for me it was just a waste of powder (max. loads of 2400 and W296 for a S&W 629 and a Ruger SBH.). 240 jacketed, 250 LSWC, and 265 RNFP are my most used bullets today and even if I were to hunt with my handguns, I would have no need for max. charges/loads. Easier on me and easier on my guns...

427mach1

Blackhawk
My 41 mag plinking rounds are mid-range loads; 210 grain plated bullet and 19.3 grains of W296, which produces 1200 fps. I do load near max loads for woods carry duty; 265 grain hard cast lead in front of 21.2 grains of 'Lil Gun, which gives me right at 1400 fps out of my 5-1/2" Redhawk. I shoot a lot of the plinking rounds, not so many of the heavier rounds.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I really don't shoot max loads in anything...as yet, I have really found no need as the more user friendly pedestrian loads will do the job.

As for the 2000fps, hottest thing I have is a 454 and I don't go there with it...although some folks do.

When I first got my Redhawk .44 mag, I worked up to 22 grs of 2400 under 240 gr JSP. Too much for me! No stress noted in brass or gun. I now keep my .44 mag at 19.5 grs 2400 with 240 gr lswc. Never hot rodded any 357's.
gramps

stevemb

Hunter
The only load I have that might qualify is in .357 to be used in a NM stainless steel BH. With no other .357's around here wasn't worried about them going into any other cylinders. It consists of a 180gr XTP seated in the lower cannelure with lots of 2400 powder. Yeah AA9 or H110/WW296 a better choice, but it's what I had. This is a hunting use only load, revolver would never see 500 rds thru my lifetime. Stay safe folks.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Nope, never.
If ya need a bigger gun, then get a bigger gun...that's my moto.

DGW
Now come on, you have to load the 45colt and 44special a little heavy to make them useful. At least that is what I have been told. :D

Speaking of those old cartridges they do seem to have taken on new life in modern firearms. :D

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
By some of my posts you already know I load hot. But that's not all I shoot. I might say I shot some full power loads over he weekend but I probably shot more low vellocity stuff then anything else. About 2 months ago I had 2 1 gallon buckets full of 45 colt & 44mag loaded up with 5gr. of Titegroup. Now let's just say I have a lot of empty brass waiting to be loaded this winter. I'm probably gonna load them with 7 or 8 grains of unique using 240's & 255's.
But I still like to load & shoot full power stuff.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
my normal range load for 357 is 13.5 grains of AA9 under a 158 gr. LSWC hardcast. That is over max according to Accurate load data for a LSWC bullet but under max for an XTP. I get 1250 fps out of a 4 inch GP-100. I shoot this all the time.

I also like to shoot 16.0 grains of H110 under a 180 gr. Missouri Bullet or a 185 gr. Beartooth Bullet. That load might be over max. Hodgdon doesn't publish load data for these rounds but Marshall Stanton does on the Beartooth bullet website. I got about 1300 fps out of the 4 in. GP100 and 1750 fps out of a Marlin.

As for 44Mag, well, I've tested lots of heavy hardcast bullets (300gr. 325gr, 355gr.) with heavy loads of H110 and never had a problem.

The biggest problem right now is that I'm down to my last pound of H110 and can't find any more.

DGW1949

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
DGW1949 said:
Nope, never.

DGW
Now come on, you have to load the 45colt and 44special a little heavy to make them useful. At least that is what I have been told. :D

Speaking of those old cartridges they do seem to have taken on new life in modern firearms. :D

From what I remember of my somewhat brief love affair with the .44Spl, I'd have to say that you were told right. In it's standard, SAMMI-spec, 146-LRN form, it is perty-dern weak...and really not much (if any) better than a regular ole 158-LRN .38 Spl.
The 45LC though, that's a whole nuther story. That one has allways performed every task that I've put it to quite well, just as it is. In fact, it has worked so well for me over the years that I've become convinced that it is much more powerfull than it's paper-ballistics suggest.

DGW

Jim Puke

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Jimbo357mag said:
DGW1949 said:
Nope, never.

DGW

From what I remember of my somewhat brief love affair with the .44Spl, I'd have to say that you were told right. In it's standard, SAMMI-spec, 146-LRN form, it is perty-dern weak...and really not much (if any) better than a regular ole 158-LRN .38 Spl.
The 45LC though, that's a whole nuther story. That one has allways performed every task that I've put it to quite well, just as it is. In fact, it has worked so well for me over the years that I've become convinced that it is much more powerfull than it's paper-ballistics suggest.

DGW

Now, the 45colt is not a powerhouse in it's standard form...not by a long shot. Back in the early '80's when I bought my first colt and did not reload, the factory rounds were mighty anemic...the very reason I sold the colts and bought my first 44mag to hunt with.

Just this week, I was reading on castboolits about a guy having miserable performance on hogs with standard pressure loads...making good hits and it was taking 3 shots to put the hogs down.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
RalphS said:
I also like to shoot 16.0 grains of H110 under a 180 gr. Missouri Bullet or a 185 gr. Beartooth Bullet. That load might be over max.
Good grief, ya think? 13.5gr is where Hodgdon stops with a 180 GR. NOS PART. :D

Enigma

Hunter
I routinely load .44 Spl over book max, but I'm using sane loads (the "Skeeter" load) in modern, strong guns. I have tried Linebaugh-level .45 Colt loads, and found them everything Mr. Linebaugh claims them to be - accurate, powerful enough to kill anything I'm ever likely to encounter in the Lower 48, etc. Problem is that they hurt my wrist, and I don't enjoy shooting them. The old cavalry load of 40 grains of FFFg and a 250-ish FRN bullet will supposedly shoot through-and-through a horse. That's all that I need, so I now load my various .45 Colts with equivalent smokeless loads. The older I get (I'm only 59), the less I enjoy wrist-wrecking, fire-belching, flinch-inducing handgun loads. I figure that if I need more power than a factory .44 Magnum load, I'll use either my .35 Whelen or .458 Lott.

DGW1949

Hunter
Jim Luke said:

...........Now, the 45colt is not a powerhouse in it's standard form...not by a long shot. Back in the early '80's when I bought my first colt and did not reload, the factory rounds were mighty anemic...the very reason I sold the colts and bought my first 44mag to hunt with.

Just this week, I was reading on castboolits about a guy having miserable performance on hogs with standard pressure loads...making good hits and it was taking 3 shots to put the hogs down.

I hear ya....if I was comparing a SAMMI-spec 45LC to the 44Mag, I'd use the word "anemic" too, and rightfully so. But that aint the point relative to the question at hand.
To be a bit more specific, if I need .44Mag power, I'd use a .44Mag rather than hot-rod my .45's. To me, doing the latter would be about as silly as hot-rodding a 38Spl when I have a perfectly-good .357 revolver tucked away in the safe.
Now, that's not to say that the next guy can't have fun doing whatever he wants with his own equipment, or that there's anything wrong with that. All I'm saying really, is that I've found that I get a more harmonious outcome when I simply let things be what they are.

But that's just me.

DGW

Jim Puke

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Jim Luke said:

...........Now, the 45colt is not a powerhouse in it's standard form...not by a long shot. Back in the early '80's when I bought my first colt and did not reload, the factory rounds were mighty anemic...the very reason I sold the colts and bought my first 44mag to hunt with.

I hear ya....if I was comparing a SAMMI-spec 45LC to the 44Mag, I'd use the word "anemic" too, and rightfully so. But that aint the point relative to the question at hand.
To be a bit more specific, if I need .44Mag power, I'd use a .44Mag rather than hot-rod my .45's. To me, doing the latter would be about as silly as hot-rodding a 38Spl when I have a perfectly-good .357 revolver tucked away in the safe.
Now, that's not to say that the next guy can't have fun doing whatever he wants with his own equipment, or that there's anything wrong with that. All I'm saying really, is that I've found that I get a more harmonious outcome when I simply let things be what they are.

But that's just me.

DGW

This was not about comparing 45colt to 44mag...this was about POOR performance of factory standard pressure 45colt ammo on larger animals.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
After reading a few threads about loading the 45colt to levels I have never heard of before (40-50K) I thought I would ask how many here regularly load cartridges for certain guns that are way over SAAMI Max. I mean like Ruger Only loads for their Blackhawks and over Ruger Only loads for their Redhawks but also how about heavier loads for their 44mags and 357mags.

Hi,

"In the last 75 years or so, they've made guns from .17 cal to 16 inch... and there's a right size for each job. If what you have isn't big enough to do the job you need done, get a bigger one. Keep your handloads in the light to medium range, leave the max loads to the factory, and you'll be fine."

That advice came from my first boss at the range when I was 17, a hair over a year into my reloading experience. He was a former Seabee in the South Pacific, who'd seen what the REAL big'uns could do, and later a Winchester pro who'd seen plenty of the results people came up with when they TRIED to make big'uns out of smaller ones and overdid it. He never gave me any bad advice, so I've pretty much followed that piece all along, and it's served well for nearly a half century.

Which means my answer to Jimbo's question is "not me."

And the answer from the many "technicians" at Redneck Labs, Inc., that "It ain't blowed up yet so it's safe, bygawd," doesn't convince me the guys with the white lab coats and millions of dollars worth of test equipment are simply playing CYA with their recommendations. Now, everybody here who knows me also knows I play it well onto the conservative side, so I'm not gonna tell someone they can't "supersize" some of their loads, but just ask that they be careful enough when they do that if something does finally let go, nobody else around them gets hurt. It can get ugly fast when that happens--personal experience speaking!

Rick C

Cholo

Staff member
2 calibers I load over SAAMI are the .44 Special in a Ruger and the .32 Mag. in Single Sixes. Both were originally rated for less robust guns. I don't own a .45 Colt or I'd probably go over SAAMI in a Ruger, or its equivalent.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
RalphS said:
I also like to shoot 16.0 grains of H110 under a 180 gr. Missouri Bullet or a 185 gr. Beartooth Bullet. That load might be over max.
Good grief, ya think? 13.5gr is where Hodgdon stops with a 180 GR. NOS PART. :D

That load data was published by Marshall Stanton on his website in 2001. I doubt that it was ever tested in a pressure barrel, but it's been there for a while and I imagine that people who buy his bullets also use his load data.

DGW1949

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
DGW1949 said:
Jim Luke said:

But that's just me.

DGW

This was not about comparing 45colt to 44mag...this was about POOR performance of factory standard pressure 45colt ammo on larger animals.

Yeah well, I guess the one's I've kilt musta been too dumb to know that.
Still though, my answer to the question at hand remains the same; If I were to find myself in need a bigger gun, I'd get a bigger gun rather than hot-rod the ones I have.

DGW