Question o reducing max charge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I don't want to start a big toggle links are weak post
I am as safe as I think I can be when reloading.
My question is when reloading for my uberti 1873
45lc would reducing the max charge by 10 % be safe?
let me throw this non reloading question in there,,,,
Why cant a stronger better heat treated toggle links be made for this rifle?

contender

Ruger Guru
I always start ALL my new loads at the bottom of the loading charts,, and work up slowly.

And; "Why cant a stronger better heat treated toggle links be made for this rifle?" They can make them. But it adds to the expense of the gun. and we all know how "bean counters" love to cut corners.

You're going to get so much drama, drama, drama, misinformation and good intentioned individuals on the internet from people trying to save your life when it comes to handloading.

If you're new at handloading, get at least one manual and read the chapters on "how to". You don't have to buy a new manual. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Lyman 49th Edition is very comprehensive, informative and my favorite and they can be had used on eBay for $20-$25 shipped.

Regarding loading for your 45 Colt, if you stay with data for powders in what's considered the fast to medium burning range for handguns (Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, Accurate #5, Power Pistol, Herco, etc.) you can reduce loads, within reason, and not have any problems, and yes a 10% reduction is fine.

Regarding toggle links, there's another subject of gross information and drama. Toggle links can and are made stronger these days, evidenced by the fact that Uberti has been chambering their 1873 lever action in .357 Magnum and even .44 Magnum for quite some time now. It sounds like your 45 Colt is a '73 Uberti which will handle "standard" (not Ruger-only) 45 Colt pressures just fine, just don't exceed "standard" load data for the 45 Colt in your Uberti.