Loading the .44 Spl Flattop to it's full potential

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I recently became the proud new owner of a 4 5/8" .44 spl flattop Blackhawk. I have been reloading .44 spl for several years; beginning with a Taurus model 431, followed by a CA Bulldog, and then continued to load it as plinking ammo for use in my SBH and Rossi 92. I have always used 4.5 grs of either Titegroup or Trail Boss for a nice mild load that didn't consume much powder. The Taurus and Bulldog are now long gone, so I am left with the new Blackhawk, as well as the two 44 magnums. I have started to become interested in loading the .44 special up to it's full potential, now that I have a gun capable of handling it. All the loading manuals I have (Lee 2nd edition, Lyman Cast 4th edition, and a Speer manual from the 80's) show top-end loads that are mild enough for the small-frame revolvers. I know Keith stuffed 17 grs of 2400 underneath a 250 gr SWC, but that seems like overkill in this age with the .44 Magnum widely available. Not to mention I'm sure it's hard on brass :shock:

So, what are you folks feeding your .44 spls? I have a good supply of 250gr SWC and also some 240gr XTP's that I may try as well. I have 2400, H110, Titegroup, and Red Dot on hand, and can get most other Hodgdon and some Alliant powders locally. I realize that you should always follow a loading manual...but in this case, I don't know of any published data that has what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The 44 Special brass is not a problem at all, it is entirely the gun and the possibility of the wrong load getting into the wrong gun.

ra

Single-Sixer
Here is some hotter 44 Sp. loads, I have shot a hefty charge of WW 296 and a 240 gr. lead and jacketed bullet and both I and my Flat Top Rugers have survived.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=4

Roger

Three50seven

Buckeye
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm a little embarrassed to say, I've never used Unique...I will have to find some and try out the Skeeter Load. Alliant lists 6.9grs @ 920fps as max load, so Skeeter's 7.5grs should be right around 1000fps out of the 4 5/8" barrel. Sounds just about perfect!

Rclark

Hunter
I prefer the Skeeter Load too. Although I have shot a few Keith loads (17.0g 2400 under 240g SWC). 7.5g of Unique, Universal, or 20/28 work just fine.... I get around 1000fps out of 5 1/2" barrel. For my little CA Bulldog, it gets 6.0g Unique under 240g SWC.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have several .44 mags, so I don't try to "push" my Special - also a Flattop 4 5/8" barrel. I try for around 800 fps. Recently checked some loads on my chrono that were with 4.8grs of Titegroup. They gave me 800 fps out of my Special, fired a couple in a .44 mag with a 7 1/2" barrel and was surprised to see an average of 1066.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Three50seven said:
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm a little embarrassed to say, I've never used Unique...I will have to find some and try out the Skeeter Load. Alliant lists 6.9grs @ 920fps as max load, so Skeeter's 7.5grs should be right around 1000fps out of the 4 5/8" barrel. Sounds just about perfect!

I have used very little Unique and never saw what all the hub-bub was all about. It does nothing that a BUNCH of other powders cant do just as well or better. It also meters like gravel. I Have a one pound container that must be close to 30 years old
Just sitting there on the shelf. I think that back in the day it was very common on dealers shelves for shotgun use but now there are much better powders for shotguns . The need has dwindled and the maker has went on to more profitable powders.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I don't hot rod the .44 Spl. Since they're shot in a .44 Mag, any chore which needs more horsepower involves a simple change of ammo. So my .44 Spls are loaded with 240 gr LSWC and the Alliant book load of Unique, in the 750-850 fps range on paper. Haven't chrono'ed them to see what they really do in the 7.5" RH barrel, though.

Rick C

stevemb

Hunter
Brian Pearce touts a load using Power Pistol Powder that kinda one-ups the Skeeter/Unique loading that we find traditional now. Kinda hard to play with a 44spec and not trod the path of tradition. Someone above mentions using 20/28 powder as a swap out to Unique, a good idea there, too.

dougader

Hunter
I just use what I have on hand and the flat top shoots them fine. W231 and Blue Dot for me, with Universal, 2400 and AA9 waiting in the wings.

I have one like yours, a five inch Smith Second Model HE, and a line bored sevenand a half Clements Custom OM. All three really like 6.0 grains of Unique and any unselected 240, usually with WWLP primers. John Taffins books are full of photos of small groups shot by random Specials with this mild factory equivalent load.

I have had nearly equivalent accuracy with 4.5 to 5.0 grains of 231, and Tite Group or Red Dot could be even better if that is what you have.

For a performance load, accuracy is excellent with all my guns and 2400.
The best accuracy is between 15.0 and 16.0 grains. We don't have a lot of bears here in Iowa so I just load to the recoil level that I like at 15.0. You could go down to 13.5 or up to the limit at 17.0 if you want to try something else.

Brian Pierce's Power Pistol loads failed to ignite reliably at ten degrees F, but they probably just needed more crimp. They were mid range loads as is Skeeter's which I have only found to be average in any of my guns.

Always fun to look for better loads, but I am either plinking or hunting and those two loads work very well, one for each purpose.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've been very happy with Skeeter's load of 7.5 gr. of Unique under the 250gr. SWC.

Words to live by for day to day use. It's my everyday packin' load. 6.5 gr of Win 231 is just as good, maybe better, and at the same 950 fps velocity.

I've been up to 1150 fps chrono'd with 240 gr LSWC's using a cpl grains less than Keith's old 2400 load. If you're interested in performance, however, I'd do a search for Glen Fryxell's excellent articles. They're in the LASC site. He's done a lot of research, is the modern guru when it comes to home cast bullets, especially the HP versions. He's a great, readable writer too.

HTH's Rod

Three50seven

Buckeye
Rodfac said:
I've been very happy with Skeeter's load of 7.5 gr. of Unique under the 250gr. SWC.

Words to live by for day to day use. It's my everyday packin' load. 6.5 gr of Win 231 is just as good, maybe better, and at the same 950 fps velocity.

I've been up to 1150 fps chrono'd with 240 gr LSWC's using a cpl grains less than Keith's old load. If you're interested in performance, however, I'd do a search for Glen Fryxell's excellent articles. They're in the LASC site. He's done a lot of research, is the modern guru when it comes to home cast bullets, especially the HP versions. He's a great, readable writer too.

HTH's Rod

I went to 3 well-stocked shops today and couldn't find a single pound of Unique. I did pick up a can of 231 though, so I will experiment with that for now. Loaded up a few earlier in the week using 13gr of 2400. They showed potential, but still need some work for sure.

I have read quite a bit of Fryxell's stuff on the special, as well as the .357 MAX. He is a very knowledgeable and interesting writer for sure.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Try between 5.0gr and 7.0gr of W231 with a 240gr bullet in the 44 special. :D

from Hodgdon Online ----- 5.2gr of HP-38/W231 - 858fps -13,200 CUP

Rclark

Hunter
I tested W-231 from 6.0 (894fps, 32 ES, 15 shots) to 7.0 (996fps, 14 ES, 10 shots) under 240g SWC and all were accurate loads.

kooz

Blackhawk
I think you will find that with the 2400 and 240-250gr bullets that your accuracy will not start coming around until you hit about 15.5gr or so...that has been my experience anyways. I usually start at 15gr and work my way up and will find a sweet spot around 15.5-16.5 gr usually. If I want a more easy shooting load, the Unique works much better for that at about 7-7.5gr . good luck

Three50seven

Buckeye
The 2400, even at 13grs, had noticeably more felt recoil than the other load I tested. From what I'm reading here, the 231 is probably my best bet.