Live Primer Removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sailorb

Single-Sixer
A while back I loaded some light cast bullets with Trail Boss and Unique for my .30-30. Long story short they didn't work well in my Marlin Micro Groove barrel. I want to pull the bullets, recover the powder and reuse the cases.
This leads to two questions. Do I need to resize the case to get proper neck tension, or can I just add new powder and bullets? If I do need to resize, what is the best way to neutralize the primers? I have cheated on single rounds before and used a decapping die to gently remove a live primer, but am not keen on doing a whole batch that way.

Cholo

Staff member
You don't need to remove the primers and you'll only need to neck size the brass. If you're wanting to use a different primer, gently use the decapping die and don't let the unfired primers fall on each other! 40 or so years ago I had about 50 blow up in my face, not cool!

It goes without saying: Always wear eye protection while reloading!

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
You have several choices, but all involve re-sizing the neck.

Remove the primers and redo from "scratch".

Remove the decapping rod and FL resize.

Remove the decapping rod (if present) and neck size.

Over the years, I've "decapped" probably close to 100 cases (mostly ones with upside down primers) and haven't had one POP(yet). I've even punched out some crimped primers w/o a POP.

wizofwas

Buckeye
Twoboxer said:
You have several choices, but all involve re-sizing the neck.

Remove the primers and redo from "scratch".

Remove the decapping rod and FL resize.

Remove the decapping rod (if present) and neck size.
This ^^^^^^
And as a side note, if you do decide to decap the shells, just be careful and go slow. I've yet to have one go pop on me but I always wear glasses to protect my eyes.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies. This kind of confirms my line of thinking. I think I'll remove the decapping pin and go from there. I too have removed some live ones and never had a "bang", but I hate to push my luck. I think I'll do a full length resize just so I don't have to change the die. With a lever action, I have never done a neck size on this caliber, have on a lot of others.

"I have never done a neck size on this caliber, have on a lot of others."

Since the cases weren't actually fired, the only part that might have expanded is the neck.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
After looking at it, I think I'll remove the decapping pin, leave the die setting alone and do a full resize. It won't really be resizing anything but the neck and I won't have to readjust the die when I'm done. Haven't been able to find any info on neck sizing .30-30 cases since a vast majority are fired in lever guns.

mikld

Blackhawk
sailorb said:
Thanks for the replies. This kind of confirms my line of thinking. I think I'll remove the decapping pin and go from there. I too have removed some live ones and never had a "bang", but I hate to push my luck. I think I'll do a full length resize just so I don't have to change the die. With a lever action, I have never done a neck size on this caliber, have on a lot of others.
That'll work. The necks prolly have expanded a bit from the previous bullets and unless you're set up for neck sizing, F/L sizing w/o the decapping stem is the easiest method. BTDT a few times... :oops: