Lipsey's Flattop 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rasruger

Bearcat
dsc0009nemail.jpg

Thanks to learning and reading on this forum i was able to pick up a blackhawk flat top in 44 special down at Keiths in Gresham today for $469 out the door!

Thanks to everyone so much for the wealth of information on here!

Now the ole single six and super redhawk and lcp are happy campers next to their new flat top addition[/url]

HardBall

Bearcat
I called Lipsey's in Baton Rouge, LA this morning and chatted with one of their sales staff about the status of the "Lipsey" Ruger 44 specials.

While chatting with him he explained several things that had me confused about their availability (talking about this 2009 year).

He said they originally worked a deal with Ruger to procure 1,000 each of the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 barrel lengths- I knew that from Brian Pierce's article in Handloader. ...But, the guy at Lipsey's also told me that those went so quick that they asked Ruger to keep'm coming. He said so far, Ruger has sent them about 1,750 of each barrel length. They don't come in in large "batches" though, sometimes 10 or 20 guns at a time. He said they've got 20 sales reps and each sales rep would get one gun if they got in 20. If they get 10 guns one day then each sales rep has to draw for it. Those 20 sales reps then have a list of standing orders with each dealer they service. He said they have not had any "in stock", ever. As soon as they have gotten some from Ruger, they're already sold. So, that's why it seems hit-or-miss as to who can get, or find, one of these guns throughout the nation.

So, it looks like member "Mustang99" is right, my dealer may, or may not, get me one this year, but it looks like I'll still get one eventually. ...I only hope the "2010" models are exactly the same as the current "Lipsey" models.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
ndcowboy":31xlj8q9 said:
Maybe I missed this, but it doesn't say the future ones will be flattop, does it?
I had the same thought, but if they're all the same model number it's hard to imagine they'd make some one way and some the other. Of course, if they did it could make the aftermarket interesting...

Speaking of which, I'll bet there's more than a couple of people who bought Lipsey's guns as investments, which might not be so viable any longer. At least as "unique collector's items".

-- Sam

batmann

Single-Sixer
I don't know about the investment part, but it is sure a fun shooter. If they would just make the same thing in a stainless---------------------

Dale53

Blackhawk
Those who lust for stainless might consider Mahovsky's "Metalife" - it sure LOOKS like stainless and is semi-affordable (and as durable).

I will probably keep my .44 Lipsey Special 5½" just like it came but it IS tempting...

Dale53

batmann

Single-Sixer
I have looked at after market coatings, Mahovskys being one.
My barrel gap is so small and the fit so good, I'm hesitant to send it off.
Has anyone here had this done and what were your resutls? Second, should I consider this for my .44 Flattop?
Sorry, I don't want to hijack the post.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I had Mahovsky "Metalife" my Custom Ballard (highly engraved by Ken Hurst). There is almost NO build up (under .0002" - that's two tenths of a thousandth). The engraving afterwards looked as it it had been done on stainless steel. There was absolutely NO reducing of the depth of engraving, etc.

It worked so well, that I had my custom Peregrine single shot engraved with animal figures by Ken Hurst and again had Mahovsky "Metalife" it.

I had several genuine experts examine my Ballard after Mahovsky did their magic and they everyone asked me what finish I was going to put on it. They thought it was the actual bare steel. That was kind of cool :D .

I would do any trigger work before I had the thing "Metalifed" - it has a Rockwell hardness of about 62 and your trigger job should last FOREVER. I wouldn't worry about ANY build up as there, for all practical purposes, is none. The finish is molecularly bonded to the base metal. As long as the base metal is not damaged there will be NO damage to the finish and no cracking, peeling, etc. It also has extreme rust resistance (something like several hundred hours in a salt bath as an example).

They are wonderful people to do business with, also. They have very quick turn around, too.

FWIW
Dale53