Lightning Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
I've noticed on eBay lately a "Lightning" style brass birdshead grip frame for the Blackhawk from an independent maker. Has anyone had experience with this frame on a blackhawk? Back when we heard Ruger was going to produce a Birds head grip this is what I was hoping for but alas we know how that went :( . This new product seems to be made for New models but should be able to adapt to Old Models. What say ye?

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
OK fellers here is the info I have. Finally was put up for auction again on Gunbroker. Item #888146598. No maker is listed, only the seller, NC Ordinance in Wilson NC. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888146598. I'll write to them asking about the maker and whether the grip panels are the same as Colt, tho I would probably have a set of nice walnut panels made.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That appears to be a quality product. No, not the same grip size as Colt.

It's a little funny looking, too much horizontal length to the rear.

If you want a Colt size grip frame, it's pretty simple to use a Cimarron lightning backstrap attached to a Ruger grip frame either the XR3-RED sizes (listed in the auction) or Ruger's XR3 Colt size grip frame simply cut in half and a screw added at the butt.

standard.jpg