lever action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
I'm going to guess "no" since they don't even show the 96 series on the website any more.

Even with Winchester largely gone from the lever action market (excepting the limited edition 1892's, 1895's and 1886's) that probably wouldn't be a great market to jump into any more than they did. Most people don't appreciate the lever action and mistakenly think they are all inaccurate or underpowered. The folks who realize the virtues of lever actions are well served by Marlin these days; even though I am an incurable collector of pre-war Winchester lever actions I have to admit that Marlin has made the better rifle (and the only innovations) for at least the last 25 years, if not longer.

Gary Wells

Bearcat
I wish ruger did make lever action rifles, I would buy one. Im looking into getting a browning in 7-08.

picketpin

Buckeye
The Savage 99 was a lot better rifle and a heck of a lot more modern given the time frame than the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 95 ever were.

The ability to use pointed/spitzer bullets, the ability to mount a scope, the ability to chamber modern rimless cartridges and a whole bunch more argue for it's use.

Kanook

Buckeye
If the made one in 357, I would own it. The 44 was nice, but I wanted one in 357. More people use 38/357 to shoot CAS than use the 44. It seems that they forgot that market, or they tried the 44 first and it didn't do well so they figured why bother.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
picketpin":2mjstsgk said:
The Savage 99 was a lot better rifle and a heck of a lot more modern given the time frame than the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 95 ever were.
I'll give Savage kudos on the rotary magazine, but comparing it to the Winchester Model 1894 and Marlin 1895 is apples to oranges to grapefruits. While calibers in the Savage 1899 and earlier Savage 1895 were initially the same as the Winchester Model 1894, a better comparison from a design standpoint would be the Winchester Model 1895 and it's introductory use of the .30 US (aka .30-40 Krag).

The Marlin 1895 was a big bore rifle (.33 WCF through .45-90 WCF) so it doesn't really compare caliber or design-wise.

I always thought the Ruger 96 was comparable to the Marlin Levermatics and similar to the Winchester 88.

chet15

Hawkeye
christiancowboy":1agncqnr said:
Does ruger plan on making any lever action rifles?

That's a good question. I posted another question about this a few days ago because the Model 96 lever guns were supposed to have been discontinued a couple years ago.
But Ruger's dates of manufacture webpage shows them being made clear into this year. I'm not sure if they are really making them (selling them someplace like England) or if the numbers they show there just represent old stock that is finally getting shipped.
Chet15

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
chet15":34honvpj said:
But Ruger's dates of manufacture webpage shows them being made clear into this year. I'm not sure if they are really making them (selling them someplace like England) or if the numbers they show there just represent old stock that is finally getting shipped.
Apparently they are still making them. I saw a brand new 96/22 (22 Magnum) at a local dealer today and while I didn't check the serial number, I know it hasn't been there long. The finish was a matte blue like the Hawkeyes, which I think must be a recent change in this model line.

Latest posts