Left handed SR1911 shooters?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tellico

Buckeye
Thanks Hipshot. I considered the Ruger one along with an Ed Brown or Wilson. I may try the Ruger as I have a couple of discount codes to use up anyway.
Fred

SR1911CMDR

Bearcat
Southpaw here!!
Wilson Combat makes 2 different style ambidextrous safety's. They have a cheap or budget version which is around $60 and then their high-end version which is around $160. I bought the $60 tactical levers and was pretty disappointed. The inside flat of both sides was rough casting and had to be filed and polished. The Tong and groove did not fit together and had to be re-shape. There was not enough material removed for the plunger detent and had to be drilled in my drill-press. As expected there's material that needs to be removed for proper safety function but it was excessive. I even had to smooth off the right lever because it was very sharp. I'm wondering if I got a product that was unfinished and maybe was done on a Monday or Friday. I hear a lot of good things about their product so. All in all I love them and they work great. They are very low profile but easily switched on and off with minimal effort.
If I had to do it again I would get the Evolution Gun Works ambidextrous safety. It costs a little less than the high-end Wilson combat ambidextrous safety but features a Patent Pending sleeve that captures the tongue and groove pin. You'll never lose a safety or have one fall out again. The sleeve also prevents any binding with the grip safety. I was just at their shop today and I must tell you it is the most cleanest machined Ambi-Safety. I'm really impressed with their product

SR1911CMDR

Bearcat
Here what they look like installed
B419C73E-9D4D-44D8-A281-67F048BF4E23.jpg

2FBDFBAF-6290-4EA6-BF7F-10F94063F0A5.jpg

D2EBEFE9-DF4B-4B09-ACBD-4BE822020030.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
I appreciate the ambi if you are left handed and REALLY need it to use the gun, but they have to be the most hideous mod to a 1911 ever. That pic from the rear showing both sides is just plain awful.

Just my opinion. :D

REV

SR1911CMDR

Bearcat
No not really at all. Def just your opinion.
revhigh said:
I appreciate the ambi if you are left handed and REALLY need it to use the gun, but they have to be the most hideous mod to a 1911 ever. That pic from the rear showing both sides is just plain awful.

Just my opinion. :D

REV

hittman

Staff member
Being a lefty I put an ambi safety on my first 1911 ..... a basic entry level Rock Island. Found I just never used it so when the SR1911 came along .... no need for the modification.

revhigh

Hawkeye
SR1911CMDR said:

If only this poor 1911 could talk .... It would say ....

Do you think my ambi safety makes my a$$ look big ? :D

Kinda looks like it has Obama ears.

REV

bsnake

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
If only this poor 1911 could talk .... It would say ....

Do you think my ambi safety makes my a$$ look big ? :D

Kinda looks like it has Obama ears.

REV
Now I don't care who you are, that right there is FUNNY.

98Redline

Blackhawk
If you are still looking for an ambi safety, Evoloution Gun Works makes a very good ambi safety that duplicates the look of the left side on the right.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=149
11322.jpg

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I've been left handed since birth and STILL use the base of my index
finger to take off the safety; ambi safety installed or not.

GEE! That means I can use ANY of the 1911s, without "help".

Hipshot

Single-Sixer
DixieBoy said:
Well ... I'm a southpaw too. And so, that means that if I want to carry a 1911 the way it was meant to be
carried, then it definitely needs an Ambidextrous safety. But wait! There's more!! :D

I not only DON'T find the Ambi safety in the photo "hideous" ... Oh no! :shock:

In fact, I find a 1911 pistol WITH an Ambi safety to be a thing of pure beauty!! :D

And I actually find 1911 pistols WITHOUT Ambi safeties UGLY, as if they are DEFORMED!! :D

(Yes, I should have issued a blasphemy warning!! :lol: )

You see, there is this beautiful thing known as ... SYMMETRY!!!

A 1911 with just one thumb safety on the left side of the frame looks like an amputee to me!! :lol:

That's right!! It looks Asymmetrical, NOT balanced, and ... well ... deformed. :D

Now, put a fine looking Ambi Safety on this great old pistol, and now that runway model has TWO fine legs, doesn't she?

See what I'm gettin' at boys? :D Yeah, sure. Amputee girls can be cute too. Sure enough. But most of us
enjoy seeing our long legged blondes with TWO legs! No offense intended to those who prefer amputees!

Okay, now that I've said this, I am so very glad that I'm here at home, so that I'm not splattered by the mess
when all of those heads explode over my blasphemy!! :lol: :lol: - DixieBoy

I wholeheartedly agree and could not have said it any better. To each his own.

Mus408

Hunter
Maybe just me but I shoot my handguns lefty style and I can operate the standard 1911 safety just fine with the outside of my left index finger. Very simple and quick!

eveled

Hawkeye
The lefties I have known in my life, have been happier if they learned to use standard rightie things, as opposed to needing something special.

With that said, if I were a leftie, I'd want a true left hand gun, not just one modified to be ambidextrous.

Cholo

Staff member
Lefty's make up 7-10% of the population. I've often wondered why the gun co's. don't make more left handed versions of their firearms :?