lead only ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I'm thinking of joining a shooting club that doesn't allow jacketed ammo. Lead ammo isn't easy to find but Midway has some and it isn't any more money than FMJ. Are there any issues with shooting a steady diet of lead with my P95? Thanks for any input.....BTW no interest in learning to load my own ammo,too late in life for that

gunman42782

Hunter
I shoot my lead reloads more than anything in all my guns. The only issue you may have is if the lead is too soft and loaded too hot. Then it will lead the crap out of your barrel.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
tovisitor98 said:
BTW no interest in learning to load my own ammo,too late in life for that

I wouldn't sell myself short there. Reloading isn't brain surgery and the basics can be learned in a couple evenings. Heck you can buy a Square Deal press from Dillon that will come out of the box all set up and just about ready to go in the caliber of your choice. Just need to set the powder measure to the correct powder weight and the seating die to correct depth and crimp, those numbers come right out of a book.
Just a thought.
Sal

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Once you start shooting lead you may find its all you want to shoot. Even if you don't cast your own bullets reloading with lead is still way cheaper than anything else.

tovisitor98

Bearcat
does anyone have experience shooting the 9mm Ultramax lead ammo that Midway is selling? I shoot only a 2-3 hundred rounds a month,don't think buying and learning to use reloading equipment is practical for me.The Ultramax is about $12.50/50 rd box. Is there a way to know if the lead is too soft without actually shooting it?

gunman42782

Hunter
Never used it. But, we sell Seller and Bellot 9mm, FMJ for $12.98 a box at the shop I work at. That doesn't sound cheap for lead bullets to me. I am sure you could buy cheaper at Wally-World.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
tovisitor98 said:
does anyone have experience shooting the 9mm Ultramax lead ammo that Midway is selling? I shoot only a 2-3 hundred rounds a month,don't think buying and learning to use reloading equipment is practical for me.The Ultramax is about $12.50/50 rd box. Is there a way to know if the lead is too soft without actually shooting it?

I have a question, are you sure it is lead only or no steel core? Finding non FMJ for a 9mm is pretty tough. If that is indeed the case, you can call Ultramax, they should give you some info on the bullets and everything else for that matter.

BTW, Sellier & Bellot FMJ 9mm and .45ACP is very good range ammo, it's actually my preference.

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I'm sure the rule is lead only on the indoor, have to double check if the outdoor and plinking range is different...Wally World up here has limited selection in handgun ammo,I'll try calling a couple bigger LGS around here and see what they carry.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
tovisitor98 said:
I'm sure the rule is lead only on the indoor, have to double check if the outdoor and plinking range is different...Wally World up here has limited selection in handgun ammo,I'll try calling a couple bigger LGS around here and see what they carry.

That just doesn't make sense at all, if the backstop is steel, FMJ and lead will do the same amount of wear to it. Does this place sell their own reloads as lead only, maybe to make some money? The funny thing is most indoor ranges want FMJ or even TMJ (enclosed base) to cut down on lead in the air. I'm not questioning you at all, this range seems out of wack.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
I'm not questioning you at all, this range seems out of wack.

+1. I've never heard of any range requiring lead only. Most ranges prefer FMJ or TMJ, as stated before, to cut down on lead in the air. I would double check before joining the club. If they do require lead only, and offer to sell it, I would be hesitant to shoot someone elses reloads that I don't trust. It's easy to screw up a measurement or double load a round if your not careful.

edfardos

Single-Sixer
I've pulled tiny bits of copper out of my face that came back from a steel target at 50 feet. I've considered using all lead for that reason. Just a guess on the motivation for lead-only.

I've tried all-lead in my P944, it works well, the lead isn't hard to remove, but your barrel will definitely be dirtier. My only complaint is the crimp/seat always shaves a hair of lead, which, I assume, after 100's of rounds would build up in the chamber and cause jams/out-of-battery.

--edfardos

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Lead is very easy to remove from your barrel and can be done in as few as 5 strokes. locate the brass pot scrubbers commonly called chore boy not just copper washed but all copper unroll the pad wrap a few strands around a worn out brush and you will be amazed

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
The only 9mm ammo I handload is 125gr hardcast lead RN. I shoot it in all my 9mm pistols including my P95.

I clean my guns after every range trip, and have found removing lead from the barrels to be no big deal after a couple of hundred rounds.

tovisitor98

Bearcat
The indoor range is 50', lead only. I found a LGS that sells 9 MM lead ammo for about the same as FMJ,so the membership looks to be a good deal at $75/ year, plus $20/year for indoor use.The outdoor ranges are OK with FMJ so I can use that with my TCP 738 to shoot at lesser distances. bbd,thanks for the cleaning tip,I'll see if I can find the chore boy pot scrubbers for sale near me.

A

Anonymous

Interesting.............................
I've been to indoor ranges that would not allow anything but fmj ammo but never one that was lead only??

revhigh

Hawkeye
rmansu2 said:
Cheesewhiz said:
I'm not questioning you at all, this range seems out of wack.

+1. I've never heard of any range requiring lead only.

Me neither ... usually they're forbidding FMJ, if anything.

Sounds like whoever made that rule doesn't understand ballistics and bullet composition very well.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
tovisitor98 said:
BTW no interest in learning to load my own ammo,too late in life for that

I shoot only a 2-3 hundred rounds a month,don't think buying and learning to use reloading equipment is practical for me.The Ultramax is about $12.50/50 rd box.

I respect your not wanting to do it, but it's not as hard as you think at all.

Costwise, it's easy to make up the cost of the reloading gear VERY QUICKLY, and have ammo that easily exceeds total garbage like ultramax reloads.

1000 - 9MM 125 grain hardcast lead bullets ... $54.
1000 - Small pistol primers .... $30.
6000 - grains Power Pistol powder .... $12.

Total cost for 1000 rounds .... $96 .... or $4.80 per box of 50.

Total cost for 1000 rounds factory at $12.50/box ... $250.

Savings per 1000 rounds .... $154 per thousand .... over $450 per YEAR savings at 200-300 rounds per month.

Therefore .... FAR less than a year to recoup the cost of a modest reloading setup, with the benefits of a relaxing pastime, as well as FAR more accurate rounds.

Something to think about ..... ? :D

You'll shoot MORE, shoot far BETTER, and do it CHEAPER, reloading. Takes a couple hours of reading and practicing on a single stage press to become proficient at reloading. NOTHING is more rewarding than pulling the trigger on a round that YOU MADE, and then realizing how much better you shoot with quality made rounds compared to the junk like WWB, Blazer, or WORST of all .... ultramax reloads, and to add insult to injury, the ultramax reloads cost almost THREE TIMES AS MUCH. :D

REV

dave1w41

Bearcat
tovisitor98 said:

That seems crazy. Also counter-intuitive for airborne lead and lead dust.

Hizzoner

Bearcat
I did an impromptu survey of several indoor ranges within 50 miles of my home.
All but 1 have a No Jacketed Bullet rule.
No jacket = lead (usually)