Should I consider running only Rugers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I suppose it could mean it's your go to, preference etc. Some people like Fords, Chevys and some might even like Rugers. A Chevy purist wouldn't be caught Driving a Ford. Ruger has a broad enough spectrum that one could build their entire armory with Rugers as long as you aren't too into shotguns.

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
Ruger hasn't marketed much that I like, but what they have made that I like, I like a lot....Wouldn't give up my 582-series Mini-14 for any other lite carbine that I know of, nor my old Blackhawk for anything similar, not even a Colt "P".....On the other hand, Ruger ain't really Ruger anymore, I got's no use for plastic, and they've never made anything even close to a Remington 1100 or Mossberg 500 Shotgun anyway, so unless something changes around there, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

DGW

hittman

Staff member
Don't seem like Marlin is gonna be our salvation for a mid-quality shotgun or even an alternative to the 10/22.

Don't seem like Marlin is gonna be our salvation for a mid-quality shotgun or even an alternative to the 10/22.
Do we need an alternative to the 10-22??? It's almost as modular as an AR with almost as much aftermarket support. I keep seeing that Savage thumbhole A22 at Walmart with the heavy threaded barrel but I doubt it would do much better than a target barrel 10-22. Ruger has some really solid value semi autos. I've had an LCP for a few decades and I'm probably going to mill dovetails for some decent sights but it's been a reliable pocket rocket. The single stack and double stack micro 9's are reliable and easy to carry pocket, IWB/OWB. The Max 9 with an optic is transcendent. I'm almost as fast and accurate with it as my unlimited class race gun. The American is a solid Service Pistol as well. The Optic ready competition with a dot, light/laser would be a great enhanced service pistol. It's a shame they don't have a threaded barrel version available and maybe a 45. Are there better guns available in every category? Pretty much but better values? Not by a whole lot.

hittman

Staff member
Yes. I prefer my Nylon 66s to the 10/22 and would maybe give a Marlin 60 a try. Tube feed just way more convenient.

Mike J

Hunter
Yes. I prefer my Nylon 66s to the 10/22 and would maybe give a Marlin 60 a try. Tube feed just way more convenient.
I don't know how true it is but I saw someone comment on another forum that the Model 60's are becoming collectible & are going up in price. They said if you have a squirrel stock it will bring a premium. I'm probably in the minority here in that I've never owned a 10/22. I've had a Marlin model 60 & it's Glenfield equivalent along with a Glenfield model 25 bolt action for a long time. One day I'd actually like to round up a 10/22 to play with just to see how they compare.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The 10/22 seems like one of the guns that every red blooded American male that grew up in any kind of rural area was pretty much issued at age 7 :D

I have 2, I got one for Christmas I think when I was actually about 9 and I have another one I honestly don't even remember how I got it, it was probably one of those "and I'll take this too" guns I bought while buying another gun at a gun shop years ago.

My first one has killed more groundhogs than I can even begin to count

They're like brass frame Italian cap and ballers and H&R .22 revolvers.........., they're the ubiquitous guns that everyone owns, has owned or knew someone who did and used to shoot it in the woods.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
^ Well crap. I grew up with a Nylon 66 and an older single shot Winchester. It's crushing to find out now that I am not a "red blooded American male".:):)

eveled

Hawkeye
You could do fine with all Rugers. Solid guns great customer support. But why limit yourself?

I've always been a Ruger guy. I like the company, I like how they run it. But that could change remember there us no actual lifetime warranty.

I look to Ruger first, if they dont have what I want I go elsewhere.

Case in point 10/22's are just fine. But my first .22 was a Marlin 39a

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'm a huge Ruger fan but my love for them is mainly for their metal pistols and steel Revolvers

I just bought a brand new SP101 9mm and it is ok, not perfect, the timing is too tight on one chamber and the fit and finish isn't even up to the standard of my .38 SP101 made in 2016. Not a big deal, a little Mothers on the ratchet tooth will probably fix it but still, I expect 100% functioning guns out of the box from Ruger. A new buyer getting this as a first gun would be disappointed. I am fairly seasoned and have that "It's a $550 Ruger not a hand fitted 1960s Colt Python" mindset that keeps me in check.

I'm hoping to get another 100 rounds through it today to break it in, I deep cleaned it last night. I do like the gun and I'm knowledgeable to know how to "finesse " it if I need to but for $600 i expect better

I own piles of Rugers, I probably own 20+ GP100s alone that I've accumulated since 2008 or so but I think I'm done buying Rugers, at least for a while. I've got what I need, this 9mm SP101 was a pure range shooter and possible carry gun, and I'm not interested in any of their new autos so other brands are catching my eye

I feel the pull of a new snub King Cobra and a 4" Kimber .357 as future purchases now but have no burning "need" for these either

JBP

Single-Sixer
Between hand and long guns I probably have more Rugers than any other gun maker. That said I love my S&W N frames especially the 2" models. Having a C&R license I've collected a wide variety of different manufacturers.