LCRx with 3-inch Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

diyj98

Single-Sixer
9x19 The LCR X is also 1/2 the cost of the SP101... [/quote said:
The LCRX should only less than $100 more than a SP101 in real world prices. The 357 LCR and SP101 are only about $20 apart.

djw54

Single-Sixer
diyj98 said:
9x19 said:
The LCR X is also 1/2 the cost of the SP101...

The LCRX should only less than $100 more than a SP101 in real world prices. The 357 LCR and SP101 are only about $20 apart.
[/quote][/quote]

I was surprised. Just checked galleryofguns for the standard LCRx and the 2.25" 38sp SP101, and there is only a $100 difference, out the door, and that's with the LCRx showing "on sale".

BTW, where have I been? There's a 4" SP? :shock:

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Interesting and I like that Ruger is looking to expand the line. Not for me, though. I think the LCR is a great pocket carry gun, but don't think I would want a "full size" polymer revolver. Would rather go with an SP, or something similar for that role.
Good to have options...

RugerRover

Bearcat
This revolver weighs only 15.7 ounces with a 3" barrel. The SP101 with a 3.06" barrel weighs 27 ounces. There is a world of difference in recoil in those numbers. :roll:

That extra weight in all-steel construction makes the SP101 a pretty good kit gun but the lighter LCRx would be a little snappy in .357 S&W Mag and even in .38 Special +P.

As a side note, the recoil of the SP101 in .357 consistently hurt my trigger finger until I brought out the dreaded dremel tool* and rounded the edges of the trigger face and trigger guard, using progressively lighter paper until finishing the smoothing job with a 3M scrubbing pad.

*never let a dremel tool near a weapon! Really! This one time it worked for me may be the only exception in the known universe :!:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'd think the 38+P is about perfect in a hiking revolver. Trails are getting longer and hills steeper, and the less weight the better while still throwing a 158 slug when needed.
A 357M in such a light gun would be violent for plinking and possibly too brutal for extended practice it takes to get really good with it... and a 327FM six-shot would round out the 327 trail gun market saturation effort.

5of7

Hunter
I like the idea al lot, and the fact that is .38 Sp. is no problem to me, nor should it be to anyone who handloads his own ammo.

Loading the .38 Sp. to 1000 fps with a 158 hard cast bullet is no problem and in a gun of this weight, that is a great plenty.

Now, if Ruger would take this concept a little farther and equip a GP100 with the poly grip frame and chamber it in a 10MM auto or .44 Sp. that would be even more appealing to me as a woods carry piece...8)

Cordite

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
I'd think the 38+P is about perfect in a hiking revolver. Trails are getting longer and hills steeper, and the less weight the better while still throwing a 158 slug when needed.
A 357M in such a light gun would be violent for plinking and possibly too brutal for extended practice it takes to get really good with it... and a 327FM six-shot would round out the 327 trail gun market saturation effort.

+1 to all of that. If you really "need" 357 Mag power then buy an SP101. If you are outside in an area where critters can eat you then perhaps you should be carrying something in a larger caliber than a 38/357 cal firearm. For social work (as Jeff Quinn calls it) the .38 Special should handle just about any situation. The "practice" part of what mohavesam said is important! The most powerful caliber is useless if you can't hit the target because you didn't practice with it.

That all being said Ruger will most likely release a 357 version soon as that is what people want, apparently. Give the people what they want...

Cordite

9x19

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
I would buy one of those in 22, 22 Mag, or 357 Mag. I'd be surprised if they sold many in 38 special. Frankly I don't see a market for it in 38 special.

I wouldn't buy a .357 version over this one as I've no need the .38 can't handle, and I like the lighter version more, but I will buy one in .22 if they offer it... a modern version of my Charter Pathfinder.

cas6969

Buckeye
All over the world, Glock's just got a giant boost to their self esteem. :D

Unless one fell into my lap at a price too low to pass, I probably wouldn't buy one. But one in 357 would be a super hiking/trail gun. But I already have a safe full of a half dozen or more other "perfect woods bum'n, hiking, trail gun"s. :roll: :wink:

Black Dog

Bearcat
Here is the response I received from Hogue to my email asking whether the longer Hogue Tamer grip on the 3 inch LCRx would fit the peg on my 1 7/8 in Ruger LCR .38 special +P and if so, whether I could obtain one of the new grips from Hogue: "Any grips that we produce for the LCR guns are sold to Ruger only at this time. You will need to contact them for dimensions and availability. " I will contact Ruger and advise. Black Dog

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I really like my 3" SP101 in 357. It is about as lightweight as any gun I'd want to shoot full house 357 mag loads in. I like it out on the trail and for concealed carry. A bit heavy for pocket carry though and the sights do challenge my aging eyes.

That being said I am seriously tempted by the 3" LCRx. The two most appealing virtues being the lighter weight and the adjustable sights.

The LCR my wife has is impressively accurate and easy to shoot well. It is also pleasure to tote around. I suspect the sights and hammer on the 3" LCRx would make it even easier to shoot and only slightly less easy to carry.

I think I know what I'm asking Santa for this Christmas...

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
The more I think about it, the more I think this would be a great gun in .22. As 9x19 said, good successor to a Charter Pathfinder. Nice little woods gun. For anything heavier, I think I would still stick with an SP.

wolfee

Blackhawk
If it says Ruger and 38 Special, I'll probably have to buy one. The adjustible sights seem to be a little optimistic on a revolver of this class, but will be one extra do-dad to play with at the range. On paper, this thing looks like the ultimate trail gun.

mag318

Bearcat
I think this would be a good platform for the 327 Magnum so I hope Ruger brings one out in this calibre.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Today's "new arrivals" at Davidson's show 46 of the things just landed on their dock. Be interesting to watch how fast they disappear. Or don't. My guess is they will. Great stocking stuffer.