LCR front sight flew off. Recommendations, please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billccm

Bearcat
Hello All:

I have a very early production LCR that I have put maybe 200 rounds through total.

Today at the range the front sight flew off into the rocks while shooting. We looked for the sight and the pin, and could not find it in teh fine sand and gravel.

So, I am looking for advice. Should I simply send the LCR back to Ruger for repair, buy a High Viz type sight and have a gunsmith install, or order a stock sight and try to do the job myself?

Thanks for any help, advice, or recommendations.

Take care, and have a nice day,
Bill

INDY45

Single-Sixer
I would say that Ruger will fix or send you a new sight and pin.I have never had a problem with there customer service.I would put a XS front sight on it and forget the factory one.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I would have a Hi Vis Green Fiber Optic sight or an XS 24/7 Tritium Night Sight put back on it.
Now that it is off anyway is a good time to install a front sight that you can see.
Now you need to decide between if you need a night concealed carry sight or a Day Time Hi Visibility sight.

I put the 24/7 on my LCR357 Concealed Carry Revolver, and the Hi Viz on my LCR 22 Practice/BUG Match Revolver. (Keep Reading)

I liked both for the application.

The XS is about as good as it gets for a Night Concealed Carry front sight, and is very visible in the day time.

I like the Hi Viz Fiber Optic for Range Work. I use my LCR 22 in our Club BUG Match. I shooting fast and just putting the Green Dot on target and firing. My Combat Sight Picture has the Green Fiber Optic Dot mostly over the back sight groove. I am basicly using the front sight like a shotgun bead, and not getting down in the rear sight groove much at all. This works out fine for me and for what I am doing with my LCR 22.

NOTE: The Hi Viz Fiber Optic and XS 24/7 sights are not made for the LCR 22 and will shoot way low using a conventional sight picture. I contacted XS when the LCR 22 first came out, they looked into it and they cannot make a Tritium Sight low enough to work. My advice is do not use them on an LCR 22 that you are planning on using the back sight trough with.
GOOD for Flash Combat Sight Picture, and VERY BAD for aimed fire.

Bob

billccm

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I think ill go the XS, but can't find a gunsmith to help. You may enjoy what happened to me today read on.

I call the local mom and pop gun shop that I bought the gun from three years ago. They said to just call Ruger and gave me the number. I call and get a recorded message that due to overwhelming call rates I need to call back at another time then hang up.

I call the gun shop back and they say they are declining any new work due to a massive backlog.

So, I called every gunsmith in Tucson, and heard it could take weeks, or even months before they could get to me.

I guess I'll try installing this myself and hope I don't screw up.

Perhaps I should change carrers and become a gunsmith? It's probably a profession that will be illegal in a few years.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Yup! Tucson can be a provincial wasteland. Did you try Larson? They were off Fort Lowell and Alvernon. A guy named Brown was the pistol smith there. However he did have a back log.

The correct tools to do the job can be had via Brownell's. It is not much cash for a proper set of punches and drifts. You can even order a replacement pin and the proper sight from them. It is a very handy catalog to have.

Hugh

Buckeye
You might try an online support request to Ruger. Here is the URL that will allow you to ask for help; just fill it out and touch SUBMIT.

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/contactSupport.php

billccm

Bearcat
Thank you for all of the replies.

I did try Larson's, Calthrop. Nice people and offered to install 'while I wait', if I bring all the parts in with me.

After much research, I followed the advice given here and bought the XS.

I went ahead and just tackeled the job myself. I used a piece of 1x2 wrapped in a towel and a bench clamp. The XS came with everything you need, including punch.

Nice and easy job, and the sight looks like it 'belongs' on the LCR. At $58 including shipping, it is a bargain.

Again, I appreciate all of the advice. Take care, Bill

Latest posts