lcr 38+p

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sawlog

Bearcat
for those of you that own the lcr 38+p, how are these guns holding up to a lot of rounds? Im thinking of getting one for conceal carry and I shoot my carry guns ALOT.
thanks

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I really can't talk about longevity because I only 600 rounds through mine. So far so good; gun locks up tight shoots great!

Only about 450 rounds through mine, about 50 were +P, still looks and functions like day one. Here's a guy with thousands of rounds through his .357 LCR, not aluminum like the .38 but still interesting...

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/ruger-lcr-357-long-term-review/

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have a lot through my .357...but I cannot elaborate on the .38 as I don't have one and it is not steel as the .357 is. I have read a lot of owner reports on the .38, some with claims of a considerable number of rounds through them and I have yet to read a negative conclusion on one of these.

DPris

Buckeye
Again- 5300 rounds of mostly Black Hills +P .38s through a test sample on an endurance run.
Shot better at the end, measurable frame stretching & B/C gap spread, but all still within specs.

Not enjoyable to shoot.
Denis

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Wife and I both own 38+p's we have about 150 rounds each of +p's and easily 3000 rounds each of my reloads ( 158 grain bullets loaded over 4 grains of unique) down the barrels. Zero problems , I am like you I shoot my guns a lot especially my defense firearms .

sawlog said:
this all sounds pretty good. thanks!

I always carried an SP101, shortly after I got the LCR I realized that I had no real use for my .357 SP101 so I traded it for a 4.2" SP101 .22 for range fun. With the Bantam grip I can totally conceal my .38 LCR in the front pocket of a regular pair of jeans, you will not regret getting one.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I have only put maybe 2-300 rounds through mine, so I can't speak for much, but I can say that it is a very accurate and comfortable little revolver. I carry mine daily IWB. I wouldn't say it's pleasant to shoot, the extremely light weight makes even standard velocity .38s sting a little.

Vettebeach

Bearcat
Three50seven said:
I wouldn't say it's pleasant to shoot, the extremely light weight makes even standard velocity .38s sting a little.

You folks with thousands of rounds fired are some tough dudes and dudettes. :shock:

DPris

Buckeye
Doing the endurance run on the sample I had involved 200-250 rounds per session, basically load & shoot & load & shoot into the ground for most of it.
Was not pleasant at all.

The gun did its job, but was nothing I'd ever enjoy shooting.
Denis

I saw a LCR .38 spcl +P at the Smoky Mtn Knife Works, a couple weeks ago that had a 3 inch barrel. It felt good in the hand, had an adjustable sights. I almost bought it, cause it was a lot lighter than my SP101. Now I am thinking, I could have both?
gramps

Barkis

Bearcat
I put the grips from the LCRX 3" bbl model on my LCR 38+P and it made the gun more pleasant to shoot because my hand fit the grip better. It is not more difficult to conceal with the larger grips than with the originals. I've owned mine for 2.5 years or so and am now just getting to the point where I enjoy shooting it. The newer grips made a huge difference for me and for my attitude toward shooting the gun. I mostly shoot reloads through it -- 148 grain DEWCS and 158 Grain RNFPS over 3.5 to 4 grains of Bullseye. Not quite Plus P territory, but snappy in that lightweight gun.

Latest posts