LCP VS S&W Bodyguard 380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

agksimon

Bearcat
I was at an indoor range today and the Smith & Wesson rep was there letting the employees use the Bodyguard 380 and 38 special he brought with him. I got to try the 380 and did a comparison with my chrome slide LCP with a Crimson Trace laser on it. We all agreed the LCP had a much lighter and better trigger and hence more accurate than the S&W. With my LCP, I'm able to keep groups sizes to around 2 inches or smaller at 8 yards, but with the S&W, they opened up to 4 inches or larger. Also, the laser button was difficult to get to function. There's no way to use it in a hurry and it's supposed to work from either side, but the left side did not work.
Everyone there who shot them agreed that the LCP with a CT was far, far superior to the S&W Bodyguard 380 in function and accuracy

As for the S&W Bodyguard 38 special, I didn't shoot it, but again, the laser would be impossible to turn on in a hurry.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
The 380 must have a really horrible trigger then. I've fired my buddies elsie pea and I'm not overly impressed with the trigger on it. Seems a bit heavy for such a small pistol to me. The the uptake is really bad, 1" travel on a 1.5" gun LOL.

davebob

Bearcat
For me the trigger is a real issue. Very long and hard to keep on target. Surely they could do better.

Cholo

Staff member
Gizmo42":3h1egare said:
The 380 must have a really horrible trigger then. I've fired my buddies elsie pea and I'm not overly impressed with the trigger on it. Seems a bit heavy for such a small pistol to me. The the uptake is really bad, 1" travel on a 1.5" gun LOL.

Come again? You say it "must (as if you've never shot one) have a really horrible trigger". Then you say you fired one and you weren't impressed with the trigger. Then "The the uptake is really bad, 1" travel on a 1.5" gun LOL."

Mine breaks at 7#'s and I like the length of pull in a pocket gun. To each his own. It has a 2 3/4" barrel. What's 1.5"? Did you actually shoot an LCP, or is this keyboard ninja stuff?

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
The 380 I was referring to was the 380 Bodyguard which the OP talked about, which I have never shot. I have shot my friends LCP several times and I cant get past the trigger. The "1.5" was was a joke comment about the length of the pull compared to the size of the gun. Feels like you are pulling it for most of the length of the gun.

tek4260

Buckeye
Given the intended purpose of the LCP, the trigger is a non issue. I think they are perfect for their intended role as is. Adding a laser just adds to the ooh and ahh factor IMHO. If I was worried about precise hits, I'd carry something else. All I want from my LCP is for it to go bang and cycle so it can go bang again if needed.

davebob

Bearcat
I want my LCP to go "bang" - and hit my target. :) For me, the laser makes that much more likely. Personally, the long trigger pull is a problem, but I gather except for the Seecamp, is pretty standard on most mini .380's.

Raminator

Bearcat
Considering their is no other mechanical safety on the LCP, the long trigger is necessary.

davebob

Bearcat
With all due respect, the Seecamp has no safty either, and has a much better trigger. It's apparently an engineering issue or a way to avoid patent infringement perhaps.

There was a guy a few weeks back at my gun club shooting some kind of 45 or 40 at the fifty yard range and he had a lazer on his pistol... I could not keep up the the light his hands were shaking so bad... he did hit his 10" target about 3 out of 15 times but it was really frighting to me.

I have to agree that these lazer thingys are just too much fluff or me... I hope to never have to risk my life on a battery... my experience is 80% of the time when ever you need a tool that requires a battery it won't work or needs a new one....

then again... I don't even think the sights are going to be useful on a carry gun if and when you need it.... you need to pull that piece and shoot it.

smartin737

Bearcat
I can't argue that the trigger on my new LCP is very comfortable for me, but it's NOT a gun you get because it's a pleasure to shoot!! It's ultra carry-able! An LCP in my pocket's MUCH better than the H&K I know I'll leave at home because it's too big for my shorts & t-shirt to conceal.

I'm dubious about the benefit of a laser, too. I've read about studies showing incredible increases in hit % with the laser during gunfights, though. I'm on the sidelines for now.

Steve

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting this topic. Originally, I was torn between the Bodyguard 380 and the LCP. I went and handled both of them and chose the LCP for a couple of reasons.

1) I have confidence in Ruger as I own several already. This likely meant I was biased before even holding the two.

2) I didn't care for the laser and the additional cost of the Bodyguard. I would prefer the Crimson Trace laser on the LCP, although I haven't added it...... YET. The Ruger had a more solid feel in my hands.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
There is nothing I like about the new S&W Bodyguards, especially the laser system. They should have gone with Crimson Trace, regardless of the cost benefit to them. Plus, they already use CT on other revolvers...(?)

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
davebob said:
For me the trigger is a real issue. Very long and hard to keep on target. Surely they could do better.

I'm new and I can tell the trigger will take some training but I viewed a YouTube review and found the reviewer's hint absolutely on the mark. He suggested finding the "stage point" and then make a quick pull to there, pause, aim and finish. The stage point on my LCP is about 1". I'll have to train my finger. It did seem, for me, that it really improved follow up shots. Of course a real situation would throw out any trigger concerns except pull, pull, pull, pull.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I wish Ruger would make an LCP with a hammer for single action. It's small enough that pocket snags would not be a problem. Same for the LCR.