LCP trigger pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Sorry but no.
Only solution I can think of is to take her to the LGS and have her check out a Taurus TCP, they have much lighter triggers, trigger wise they're the best of the bunch in the small 380s.
Sal

wingman

Single-Sixer
Ray Schueler said:
Can the LCP trigger pull be modified to make it lighter? My wife can not make the gun fire because the trigger pull is too heavy. :roll:
The trigger pull isn't heavy, but it is long. Let her try staging the pull. Pull it back till the visible hammer is just below the line between the slide and the frame. Rest in that position a bit and then a gentle pull and it will release the hammer. Let her try this while dry firing at first. I think she will get used to it. I didn't like it at first either. I decided to sell the LCP but kept trying until I got used to it. Its not a problem anymore and I've made it my deep conceal gun.

zebrajeb

Bearcat
Wingman has a good suggestion. My wife liked the LCP but her arthritis has reached a point where she just can't close her finger enough for the long trigger pull! The LCP has one of the longest trigger pulls I've seen. My wife is now looking for another pistol. She used the Glock 26 without problems but wanted something smaller to carry.

John

pendennis

Bearcat
I tried an LCP yesterday, for the first time.

One of the guys at our club brought one out, that he had ordered with the Crimson Trace LaserGuard.

Every shot was low from ten yards; by as much as ten inches. He asked me to try it, and I had the same trouble.

I came to the same conclusion that others have reached. The pull is entirely too long, and the trigger finger just can't operate in that range. It's so long, that the trigger finger relexively pulls down as the hammer falls. You could probably compensate, but that's risky.

Between yesterday and today, I finally figured out what the trigger felt like. It reminds me exactly of the defunct pistol of the late seventies, the "C.O.P." (Compact Off-duty Police). For those who don't remember, it was a four-barreled, derringer type pistol, with four firing pins, and a horrible trigger.

exavid

Hunter
Yes indeed the LCP has a long trigger pull but after shooting it enough in the range to get used to it I find it's pretty accurate for such a little gun. I pretty consistently hit an 8X10" steel plate at 25yds which ain't bad for and old guy and a tiny pistol.

mikep048

Bearcat
I find placing the first pad of my finger on the trigger instead of the first joint, I can pull the trigger with ease. I had it at the range again yesterday. I got almost 300 rounds through it and I'm getting better.

This from 7 yards.

2q0re4i.jpg

explorecaves

Bearcat
mikep048 said:
I find placing the first pad of my finger on the trigger instead of the first joint, I can pull the trigger with ease. I had it at the range again yesterday. I got almost 300 rounds through it and I'm getting better.

This from 7 yards.

The pad is what you are supposed to use to pull the trigger....

kelbro

Single-Sixer
That's how I do it too. Long trigger pull but easy enough to get used to. I understand why it has to be the way that it is since it is a pocket pistol.

rugerjay

Bearcat
Pendennis, it sounds like the laser is off. They are preset at the factory for 50 feet. At 50 feet mine's dead on. I've heard others say that theirs were off and they had to reset them. The trigger pull is long, but smooth on my pistol and it was just a matter of getting used to it. It's not my favorite gun to shoot but it's accurate and reliable. For me that's a win win situation.

Jay

Ratster

Bearcat
My laser was off by quite a bit at first. Get it dialed in and... Practice, practice, practice. One cannot expect to become proficient with a pistol like the LCP without a lot of practice. Every little glitch in the shooter's fundamentals are greatly magnified. Shooting this little thing has made me a much better shooter with my other ones.

I shot one at our east coast meeting last weekend and don't remember the trigger pull being anymore awful than other double action semis.... I do know I was able to knock down those less than half size steel silhouettes at 50ft with it... which is good enough for me.

blume357 said:
I shot one at our east coast meeting last weekend and don't remember the trigger pull being anymore awful than other double action semis.... I do know I was able to knock down those less than half size steel silhouettes at 50ft with it... which is good enough for me.

I too shot that same pistol and other than the trigger pull being longer it felt no different than other double actions. I actually liked it. It hit what I aimed at.

revhigh

Hawkeye
explorecaves said:
mikep048 said:

This from 7 yards.

The pad is what you are supposed to use to pull the trigger....

Yes ... that is true ... but very difficult to do in a self defense situation. A person will naturally put their finger THRU the trigger guard in a stress situation. I know that can be 'trained' out, but it's much easier to have a gun that you can deal with without thinking.

REV

writwing

Single-Sixer
zebrajeb said:
Wingman has a good suggestion. My wife liked the LCP but her arthritis has reached a point where she just can't close her finger enough for the long trigger pull! The LCP has one of the longest trigger pulls I've seen. My wife is now looking for another pistol. She used the Glock 26 without problems but wanted something smaller to carry.

John

Has she looked at the Walther PPS??

BrittB

Single-Sixer
Mine got better with time. The more I shoot it, the better the action gets and I've come to understand how to use it. Shoot it often and keep it clean.

Sky1

Bearcat
I tried one, really wanted to like it but couldn't deal with the very L O N G trigger pull. Going to get a Sig P238 for my 380 CCW where the trigger is a lot like my SR9c

cahillc134

Bearcat
I assume it is as long as my PF9 trigger. It doesn't take much practice to start getting good groups at 7 yards. All of them inside a group the size of my open hand.

This is a pistol for pocket carry. It's meant to be better than the large pistol that you left at home.

rimfired

Bearcat
Just got an LCP today. I'm afraid the TP is too light, compared to my
AMT .45 backup it might go off if I breath on it!!! :lol:

boltons75

Single-Sixer
Sal1950 said:
Sorry but no.
Only solution I can think of is to take her to the LGS and have her check out a Taurus TCP, they have much lighter triggers, trigger wise they're the best of the bunch in the small 380s.
Sal

I beg to differ, you ever feel the trigger on Sigs p238...... is awesome