LCP safety?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
GKC said:
44Magpie said:
until recent times no revolver had a safety either

Not trying to argue, asking for clarification....what revolver(s) do have a safety? I know some models (such as most S&W revolvers, most Taurus revolvers, and some Ruger revolvers) have locks, but I don't count that as a "safety." It is a safe storage device, true, but not (at least IMO) a click on/click off safety. Are there revolvers with such?
I recall some offbrand revo that had a manual safety, but they are not common nor are they needed.

Lennie, where is the crack in your extractor?
As regards reliability, a bunch of guys at our club have 'em, and they all work, even on reloads.
The LCP has a titanium firing pin so that a muzzle down drop won't fire it, and the half cocked hammer doesn't have enough energy to fire the gun.
In most regards, it's a well thought out gun. I drilled holes on the front sight and under the rear sight notch and filled 'em with white paint. The factory should do the same.
Moon

LennieT

Bearcat
Ruger looked at the pictures I sent and said we are sending you a new extractor. OK, that means I have to install it, guess I need to learn how.....so I watched a video that is online, had to make two tools and presto the extractor is out. If you have the tools it is a snap, no tools good luck! Anyway the extractor is cracked everywhere. When it was in the gun you could only see a small crack about 1/16 inch from the very back curved edge of the extractor. When I got it out of the gun it looked like it shattered, you can follow the crack all around the extractor. Guessing something went wrong with the cooling process. I doubt it would have stayed together for more than a few shots. Can't see how this thing got past QC, whoever installed the extractor had to see the cracks.

Lennie

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Lennie, I had to return my P380 to Kahr for work, and it cost $50 just for shipping (MY $50), so Ruger and most other companies would rather send you parts for a start.

Let us know how the install goes. I have never detail stripped the slide on my gun.
Moon

LennieT

Bearcat
Check out these videos. I believe, after watching the videos and if I had all the tools, I could take the LCP completely apart and actually get it back together again. The first video shows how to remove the extractor. The curved pick was pretty easy to make. The pin that takes the tension off the extractor is a different matter. I made one from a nail with my drill press, a file and some emery paper. It took a while but works like a charm. Will be interesting to see if Ruger sends me the pin to remove the extractor or if all I get is an extractor. I will keep y'all posted.

Lennie

Opps forget to include the link to the videos: http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9608.0
You might have to join the site to see the videos, but it is a pretty good site.

LennieT

Bearcat
Ruger sent only the extractor. Within about two minutes of opening the package, using my home made tools, the new extractor was in the gun. Looks like they even polished the new one they sent me. Will go to the range sometime this week. Will report back how the gun functions.

Lennie

borderdogs

Bearcat
I have have owned three LCP's and carry two in pocket holsters at the moment that way I don't have to worry about reloading. Peronally I like safeties and I obviously don't have a problem with the LCP not having one. I use to carry a Colt 1903 .32 and I didn't have a round in the chamber for safety purposes. I trained myself to rack the slide when I pull and I have gotten pretty good at it. I really like the 1903 Colt because it fit well in my hand and I am very accurate with it. I like the LCP because it is light and at least for me easy to rack. Since it is so small it doesn't feel the same as the 1903 but the weight of the LCP is to it's advantage. I have carried them with inside the waist holsters & in pocket holsters, which is the way I prefer for the lCP. I ordered a SR9c to basically to replace carrying two LCP's. If the LCP had a safety I would probably use it since it doesn't I just don't have one in the chamber. I think it comes down to how you train & how you want to carry your LCP. Using a holster with one in the chamber with the long triger pull is safe at least in my opinion. Even though I think the long trigger pull is plenty safe I still prefer to rack the slide when I pull it. It comes down to using it the way you feel the most comfortable.
Rob Drummond
Hillsboro, NH

LennieT

Bearcat
LennieT said:
Ruger sent only the extractor. Within about two minutes of opening the package, using my home made tools, the new extractor was in the gun. Looks like they even polished the new one they sent me. Will go to the range sometime this week. Will report back how the gun functions.

Back from the range. WOW!!! No wonder this little pistol is so popular. I can only describe it as a "natural pointer." The sights are so small that I could not see them. I am old and can't hardly see normal sights, these minuscule sights are all but invisible. If I tried to use the sights there was no telling where the round was going. So I just pointed and fired. Upper torso shots all, even out to 15 yards (although at that distance the group started to really open up, but the shots were all on the target). I was amassed.

Fired 103 rounds, had a FTF at number 15, bumped the slide and the round chambered. No problems with the rest of the rounds. Was shooting 102 grain hand cast LRN bullets on top of 3.0 Bullyseye with Wolf SP primers.

Great little gun, interesting thing was that I did the best shooting when I pulled it out, pointed and fired (two handed or one handed it did not matter). Trying to get a good sight picture and set the trigger put bullets all over the place, pointing and firing with one continuous press of the trigger netted the best results. Frankly that amassed me.

Lennie

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Lennie, the point and shoot may have some merit; at up close and personal range it is likely the way to go.
I do prefer having sights I can actually see; one of the reasons I bought my problematic Kahr .380 was the great sights.
What you can do with your gun (is it blued?) is punch and drill a small, shallow hole in the front sight and a similar hole under the rear sight. If you make any scuffs in the process, touch up with cold blue. Fill the holes with a dab of white paint. When you're shooting, the dots just line up, even if you can't see them crisply; put one white blob on top of the other.
I talked to some big Ruger kahuna at the NRA convention about having the factory do this, and the guy couldn't have given less of a damn.
When I'm shooting at 21' in the timed and rapid stages of our snub league, I just get a flash sight picture of the white blobs and throw it on the B-29 silhouette; at 50' slowfire I actually get a sight picture and squeeze off the shot.
Moon

LennieT

Bearcat
I am going to give the white dots a try. I much prefer to pickup at least a "flash" sight picture. I have a drill press so I think I should be able to drill dimples without too much trouble.

Thanks

Lennie

pyth0n

Buckeye
frank n texas said:
Am I correct in saying the LCP does not have any type of safety?

If that is the case, how and why would Ruger elect to make a semi auto with out any safety...

I have not been following any of these newer type of Rugers so I am in the dark.

I did just read the entire owners manual on the Ruger site however...

Please advise....

Thanks

frank

Three safeties;
1- Keep your !@#$%^& finger off the trigger.
2- Keep your finger off the !@#$%^& trigger.
3- Keep your !@#$%^& finger off the !@#$%^& trigger.
:)