LCP safety?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
Am I correct in saying the LCP does not have any type of safety?

If that is the case, how and why would Ruger elect to make a semi auto with out any safety...

I have not been following any of these newer type of Rugers so I am in the dark.

I did just read the entire owners manual on the Ruger site however...

Please advise....

Thanks

frank

Cholo

Staff member
No safety and none needed. A semi long smooth trigger pull does the trick. If someone feels uncomfortable with that, a rock or harsh language is always available :wink:

pkupmn98

Bearcat
You read correct, there is no "real" safety on the LCP. The safety, as they say, is betwen your ears, and keeping "your booger hook off the bang switch"

The extremely long double action trigger makes it very tough to "accidentally" fire the gun. You feel like you're gonna pull the trigger forever before it fires. I do not actually have my CCW yet, but once I do, and I feel that pocket carrying my LCP is my best concealment method, I will feel completly safe with the pistol in a pocket holster and in my pocket.

Hope this helps.

bigdog02

Bearcat
I just picked up an LCP here last week and got to the range with it today.
I am a fan of safetys on my guns - personal preference.
I was concerned with the LCP not having an actual click safety - but I was soon VERY comfortable with it.
Like other have said, the trigger pull is long and smooth.
To give the play by play of the trigger pull: you pull it at first and come to a stop thinking you are close to it. Then you keep going and it is still going back. You stop again, sure you are at the break point. Pull it a little further and finally BANG.
I can honestly say I think it would be damned near impossible to accidentally pull this one without obviously putting pressure on it and realizing it.

Cholo

Staff member
Cholo Sez: Dammit it Frank, get the LCP and be done with it! You'll love it for a mouse gun. I recommend a strong piece of string to keep it from floating away as it really is that light! The trigger is great, but a personal preference...

Lateck

Single-Sixer
frank n texas said:
How did it perform? Any jams? Groupings and at what distance? You know...All the good stuff.... :lol:

You can search here for a number of reviews or stop by: elsiepeaforum.com there it's mainly just the LCP.

By the way it is a great gun out to 20+/- yards and some can get tight groups. My self I can get 3-shot groups of 3" at 15 yards with my CT laser :lol:
I have not had any problems and she eats what she is given, so far :)

Lateck,

exavid

Hunter
I've been carrying my LCP for about a year in various jean and jacket pockets. I used to carry a SR9 but it was just too much bother due to it's size especially for summer carry. Never worried about the lack of a safety. The LCP's DA action isn't going to be a hazard unless your favorite method of pulling it out of your pocket is using the trigger guard for a handle. Even then it would be damn near impossible to fire the gun unless it was stuck in your pocket and you really yanked on it. The little pistol has about the same trigger action as a Roy Rogers Hubley cap gun.

bigdog02

Bearcat
frank n texas said:
How did it perform? Any jams? Groupings and at what distance? You know...All the good stuff.... :lol:

I bought it brand new so I bought it home and cleaned it and oiled it and started working the action to try to loosen it up some. The slide is pretty stiff out of the box - I mean I expected it to be tough with such a short action, but it was tough for me. Big hands and a tiny slide to not make for anything easy.
This gun is also my first one with Crimson Trace on it, so I am getting used to that as well.

Shooting PMC bronze FMJs, I shot 4 mags.
First three were slow fire, last mag was rapid fire.
NO jams at all.
Groupings were maybe 3-4inch groups at 10-15 yards going with the laser. They were a bit smaller if I used the sights only.
I imagine if I stepped up closer to the 5-7 yard range, things may tighten up a bit.
Oddly, all groups were 6 inchs low. I attribute that to the massive trigger pull, my long fingers in an uncomfortably small trigger guard lol, and my first experience with a pistol where I have a finger off the bottom.

Only discomfort I had was in my trigger finger - from the long trigger pull in a small trigger guard - I did not have any pain or discomfort in the meat of my hand or the fold there between my thumb and index finger.

Overall I was really pleased with it. I had been wanting something much smaller than my p85 to carry. This in a pocket holster fits in any pocket I have, and conceals perfectly. It is not a distance gun, but it will do what it is supposed to.

44Magpie

Bearcat
I really don't get people's concerns with a pistol like the LCP having no safety. If they mean no external safety, they are correct but until recent times no revolver had a safety either and I never heard anyone complain about that. The "safety" on the LCP is the fact that the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled all the way. If you can't trust yourself not to pull the trigger then you shouldn't have a firearm in the first place.

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
The LCP is not for me...My ex bought one and is having trouble pulling the slide back due to medical problem with hands...My first thought was OK put one in the pipe, with a full clip and you are ready to go...Then I discovered it had no external safety...Having in purse with one in chamber and no safety did not sound like a great idea to me...

I think I solved her problem today in that I ordered a Galco LCP leather pocket holster that hides the entire trigger section so she should be good to go...

That plus the long trigger pull you all tell me the gun has...

I carry a Colt 1911 so the LCP has no interest to me personally....

Thanks to all who gave me the input I asked for...

Note to Magpie...Please keep your snide remarks to yourself...At the age of 75, I have been carrying and shooting guns long before you were even a glean in your Pop's eye pal...

New Orleans police department
Third Army pistol team....

44Magpie

Bearcat
frank n texas said:
The LCP is not for me...My ex bought one and is having trouble pulling the slide back due to medical problem with hands...My first thought was OK put one in the pipe, with a full clip and you are ready to go...Then I discovered it had no external safety...Having in purse with one in chamber and no safety did not sound like a great idea to me...

I think I solved her problem today in that I ordered a Galco LCP leather pocket holster that hides the entire trigger section so she should be good to go...

Note to Magpie...Please keep your snide remarks to yourself...At the age of 75, I have been carrying and shooting guns long before you were even a glean in your Pop's eye pal...

Snide comment, huh? Sorry but it was just my personal opinion to which I'm entitled to on here. And your little sig line doesn't impress me in the least. I was a federal LEO for more than 26 years and on more pistol and rifle teams than you ever dreamed of being on, Mr. New Orleans PD. :roll:

44Magpie

Bearcat
frank n texas said:

Wasn't meant to be a snide comment and I'm sorry you took it that way. It was just my personal opinion to which I'm entitled to on here. And your snide comment about my age wasn't necessary at all. Furthermore, your little sig line doesn't impress me in the least. I was a federal LEO for more than 26 years and on more pistol and rifle teams than you ever dreamed of being on, Mr. New Orleans PD. :roll:

Strange

Bearcat
I've had my LCP for over a year now and never gave a second thought about it not having a safety. Don't recommend carrying it in your pocket with out some type of holster but that's just my personal preference.

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
After a bit of research, I discovered that the Galco Model #PRO 436 leather pocket holster sold by Optics Planet for $19.97 plus $6.99 shipping is the ticket for carrying this little mouse in ya pocket...

They offer a different model for the LCP with the laser sight

LennieT

Bearcat
Got an LCP yesterday....noticed with a round in the chamber the hammer is half cocked. Half cocked hammer and no firing pin block, no safety, wondering if whatever is holding the hammer half cocked breaks and hammer falls does gun fire....hope not.

The manual insists you don't carry a round in the chamber. This might be lawyer talk for all Ruger auto pistols.

Also, looking over the gun and noticed that the extractor was cracked. Called Ruger.....they have never heard of that....I don't care if they ever heard of that or not the extractor is cracked. They asked for pictures, which I sent them and I will include one here if I can figure out how. Still waiting for a reply. If you can see the picture you are going to ask how did you miss that in the store. I asked the same question of myself, but the crack is not as easy to see in real life as it is in the picture.

OK, can't figure out how to include a picture. Guess this forum does not do pictures.

Lennie

GKC

Blackhawk
44Magpie said:
until recent times no revolver had a safety either

Not trying to argue, asking for clarification....what revolver(s) do have a safety? I know some models (such as most S&W revolvers, most Taurus revolvers, and some Ruger revolvers) have locks, but I don't count that as a "safety." It is a safe storage device, true, but not (at least IMO) a click on/click off safety. Are there revolvers with such?

Latest posts