LCP ll 22lr disappointment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
I stoped buying the Fed Auto Match bulk box. Would not cycle some autos. Read the FPS. Think they are 1200fps? Rem Golden bulk cycles all my stuff. I try to stay near 1250fps or up.They all work.

In my experience, most .22 rimfires are ammunition sensitive. I owned a 10/22 years ago, with a heavy target barrel & laminated wood stock. I tried about 15 different types of .22 ammo in it, and it liked CCI Green Tag best. I later swapped the heavy wood stock for a B&C synthetic stock, and the groups opened up. So I tried all of my leftover brands of .22 again, and with the new stock, it did really well with Winchester T-22.

I've had similar experiences with other rimfires. My Ruger 77/22 Mag for some reason favored light weight bullets (which was dissappointing, because I was hoping it would like the 50s). After rebarreling to .17 HMR, it favors heavier FMJs. And a .22LR conversion kit I used to have installed in a pocket auto would only function reliably with Remington Thunderbolt(!!!) & CCI SGBs.

So, I always try every brand of ammo I can find, when I buy a new rimfire.

Obviously FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

mjac

Bearcat
Range day. I arrived with a mag full of CCI minimag HV left over from my previous session. I was going to unload this in favor of something different but I figured WTH, why not shoot it. Surprise, surprise it performed perfectly. I loaded and shot another mag full with excellent results. Total of 20 with good accuracy to boot and the only change from the last range session was a second cleaning

The rest went as follows:

10 rds Federal bulk....................................2 FTF accurate
20 Rds Federal Gold Match...................0 FTF best accurate
20 rds CCI SV................................................0 FTF not accurate
20 rds CCI Stingers ....................................0 FTF not accurate, muzzle flash
20 rds WIN Super X....................................0 FTF fair accurate

After the above 110 Rds I decided I would shoot a few of the above again:

20 rds CCI minimag HV..................................... 1 FTF accurate
20 rds Federal Gold Match.................................0 FTF best accurate
10 rds CCI SV............................................................0 FTF not accurate

160 rds, 3 FTF (two were expected based on ammo condition) is 1.87%. FTF
Removing the expected FTF ammo altogether;
150 rds, 1 FTF is .66% FTF

I'll clean the gun and shoot another 150 rds of CC minimag HV only. Stay tuned.

mjac

Bearcat
60 rds CCI minimag HV down range today, 10 FTF's
First 10, first two, 2 FTF
Next 10, 2 random FTF
Next 10, 1 FTF
Next 10, 0 FTF
Next 10, 2 FTF
Last 10, 3 FTF

Randomly loaded (paying no attention to striker marks) all 10 FTF in another hand gun, all fired.

Btw, the gun had been cleaned again before todays outing.

Wow. Hellva statement but contrary to the 100's of 1000's of CCI mm bullets that go down range at Bullseye matches I attend. Thus I prefer it.

InkedInked20180918-092501-LI.jpg 20180918-170128.jpg 20180918-092544.jpg 20180918-092528.jpg

;)

Again, my point... Each batch of ammo, regardless of manufacture, can be a good batch or a bad batch. This batch of Mini Mags was possibly the most inaccurate rimfire ammo I've ever shot.

Last edited:
CCI lives on their legacy. Mini-Mags are not the ammo they used to be.

That said, I find it unlikely they are the cause of such a failure rate. Yes, do try some other ammo, strip the pistol down and get it cleaned and properly lubricated, and with no satisfaction, get it sent back to Ruger.

My LCP II in .22 is superb in function. I don't spend a lot of time shooting mouse pistols. This LCP is an exception, as it's actually a fun little gun to shoot. As is my Taurus TX-22 . Who'd a thunk. (y)

Funny you mention that, Went to the range last week and something just not right with CCI mini mags. Did some research and it seems to be common. Most comments were attributed to new owner.

As far as the LCPll, I have a few issues at first, but have all smoothed out.