LC9 roll pin punch size - LCI ? Answered!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
Does anyone know the size roll pin punch I need to remove the pin that holds the LCI in place on the LC9? I've seen several videos on removing the firing pin on the LC9, and the first step is to take out the LCI...but none mention what size roll pin punch you need. I have a small regular punch which seems to fit, but I want to get the exact right size roll pin punch. Since I live in a small town, I'm going to have to order one. I'd like to get a good one, and quality sets are very expensive.

Thanks.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
The roll pin itself is 3/32 " in diameter.
To drive it out I cut a piece off an allen wrench.
The wrench was just smaller than the pin since it must pass through the slide and lci.

Used a 1/8" pin punch to drive the new roll pin in.
The larger punch made it easier to hit the pin squarely and since it's not going through the slide, just tapping the pin flush, I found the larger punch easy for installing the pin.

This roll pin is seriously tight in the slide.
Get a block of wood and set it on a solid surface with the slide on top.
The slide will want to roll with every hammer tap.
Be real careful to keep your punch centered.

The roll pin goes in way easier than it comes out.

GKC

Blackhawk
Iceaxe said:
The roll pin itself is 3/32 " in diameter.
To drive it out I cut a piece off an allen wrench.
The wrench was just smaller than the pin since it must pass through the slide and lci.

Used a 1/8" pin punch to drive the new roll pin in.
The larger punch made it easier to hit the pin squarely and since it's not going through the slide, just tapping the pin flush, I found the larger punch easy for installing the pin.

This roll pin is seriously tight in the slide.
Get a block of wood and set it on a solid surface with the slide on top.
The slide will want to roll with every hammer tap.
Be real careful to keep your punch centered.

The roll pin goes in way easier than it comes out.

Thanks! I checked and lo and behold I have a 1/16" roll pin punch. I guess I forgot I had it...or senility kicked in. I also have a 1/8" punch so I'll try your suggestion when driving it back in.

For my "gun-smithing" efforts, I have an old wooden cutting board that has a drip channel around the edge. (My wife discarded it when she bought new ones that are some sort of very hard polymer, and can go in the dishwasher.) It's a pretty large board, and the channel is just the right size for the slide to fit down in, so it will be relatively secure when I am tapping the pin back in. I also am going to cut a hole somewhere in the board, with a hole saw, so I can have a depression when I am driving out pins, etc., instead of using a roll of duct tape like in the video.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
While your in there you might want to check the condition of your firing pin retainer.
Mine was bent.
Never caused any problems but I am fanatical about mechanics so I replaced mine along with the firing pin and roll pin.
Bought all the parts from the Ruger parts website.
Took about a month to get them.
Could have had it done under warranty but I like doing as much as possible with my own hands.
The parts totalled about 20 bucks.

GKC

Blackhawk
Iceaxe said:
While your in there you might want to check the condition of your firing pin retainer.
Mine was bent.
Never caused any problems but I am fanatical about mechanics so I replaced mine along with the firing pin and roll pin.
Bought all the parts from the Ruger parts website.
Took about a month to get them.
Could have had it done under warranty but I like doing as much as possible with my own hands.
The parts totalled about 20 bucks.

Thanks...I will do that. I'm going to go ahead and order an assortment of the small parts, just to have on hand. I previously ordered two more take down pins, just in case...I tend to drop things, and they roll into oblivion.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
having had my lc9 apart all the way im going to order some more of those frame pins, plastic , yuk, i can see them breaking if torn down a few times. id reinstall a new roll pin in the lci. just because there cheap and no way do you get a roll pin out without marking it up. unless its fairly loose. being fairly visable on the gun imo id want to be shure it didnt look like a blemish after it was done and a new pin is cheap insurance.

George

Blackhawk
If you have a Tractor supply store near you they have some good USA made punch and roll pin punches in sets of 3 or 4 sizes in one package for like $10.00 I used the 1/16" size and beat the heck out of it on a stuck pin and the darn thing held up fine even though the pin is still stuck in the gun I was working on.. Ok just dug out the brand.. MAYHEW SLECT! worth a try for you when you know the size you need.. I'm going to bulid my set from this brand.. George

GKC

Blackhawk
Thanks, George...we live in a small town in a rural area, and ironically, don't have a Tractor Supply. I will look at their selection of tools the next time I go to the city, though. I've been to a Tractor Supply store there...my wife ordered a garden cart and I went to pick it up. I was in a hurry, though, and didn't have time to look around.