LC9 manual safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

josh2415

Bearcat
Had to comment on the LC9 manual safety. I'm a lefty and one of the reasons that I bought my SR9c was the fact that it had an ambidextrous safety. Though the LC9 is a little big for pocket carry, I'd consider it for IWB carry if it weren't for the fact that it only has a safety on one side - there's no way I'd buy one unless Ruger offered it with the safety on BOTH sides.

What was Ruger thinking? Mfg cost savings? I don't know the percentage of left handed shooters, but I would think that it would be significant, and if so, it would seem that Ruger is really limiting their market. Any other lefties out there that agree?

I wonder if there's any hope of Ruger adding an ambidextrous safety to the LC9 down the road?

Al James

Hunter
Just carry it with the safety off. Keep it holstered and your finger off the go button. Thats what I plan to do when Ruger makes a SS one :wink:

Specs

Single-Sixer
Al James said:
Just carry it with the safety off. Keep it holstered and your finger off the go button. Thats what I plan to do when Ruger makes a SS one :wink:

Yes.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Sorry to here about that problem but I (Me) love manual safeties!!!!

I wish my LCP had one! AND YES I know that the finger is the SAFETY!
But I'm an old school BHP guy.

Lateck,

Specs

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
Sorry to here about that problem but I (Me) love manual safeties!!!!

I wish my LCP had one! AND YES I know that the finger is the SAFETY!
But I'm an old school BHP guy.

Lateck,

Yes, but the Browning is a different style action altogether. Just compare the Browning with your LCP and the reason for safety on one and no safety on the other is clear.

josh2415

Bearcat
Al James said:
You're probably right Al, I just hate to have an unusable (or one that I don't practice using) safety on my carry pistol - and Murphy's Law dictates that the safety will be on at the time that I need the pistol the most... I'd rather not risk putting myself in that situation. There are other 9mm single stacks around that don't have a manual safety. Sorry Ruger.

Strange

Bearcat
Safety or no safety, I think Ruger has another winner. They needed something to fill the gap between SR9c and a LCP. Now they have a true compact.

Have to agree with Strange, and I am on the local gun shop list (first in line..LOL) to get the LC9 when they get some in. I usually do not buy when the gun is so new to the market, but in this situation I don't mind being one of the Beta testers. I think that since the gun will be so much like the LCP, that there will be no issues with the design. Cannot wait!! :mrgreen:

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I like the LC9 (from what I see and read) and will probably get one later this year.

I consider the safety to be a non-issue. I never use the safeties on any of my P series pistols. Don't know why I would ever need to use it on the LC9 since it's DAO.

chrislind2

Bearcat
I should be banned from buying any more handguns....just kidding!
I settled on a .380 Sig P238 for carry and now I HAVE to get the LC9.
I'm stacking the pistols in my safe now.
I guess I should go safe shopping and get the LC9 this summer for my birthday. I need a fireproof safe anyway.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Not the gun for me, but Ruger is the company for me so I am glad to hear all of this good response to it.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
josh2415 said:
Had to comment on the LC9 manual safety. I'm a lefty and one of the reasons that I bought my SR9c was the fact that it had an ambidextrous safety. Though the LC9 is a little big for pocket carry, I'd consider it for IWB carry if it weren't for the fact that it only has a safety on one side - there's no way I'd buy one unless Ruger offered it with the safety on BOTH sides.

What was Ruger thinking? Mfg cost savings? I don't know the percentage of left handed shooters, but I would think that it would be significant, and if so, it would seem that Ruger is really limiting their market. Any other lefties out there that agree?

I wonder if there's any hope of Ruger adding an ambidextrous safety to the LC9 down the road?

Well, they cant make every gun please everyone, I would guess that the percentage of left handed shooters is roughly the same as the percentage of left handed humans, around 10%. So its not surprising that many gun makers cater more to the 90% than the 10%... An ambidextrous safety adds width to a gun. Another possible issue with ambi safety's is that the safety can be inadvertently knocked off when its on the right side of the gun (edit, when carried by a right handed shooter strong side). Thats why many people who carry 1911's replace ambi safety's with single sided. I'm not saying it would be a problem on this gun, its a pretty small safety, but its something gun designers may consider.... I wouldn't buy a carry gun with an ambi safety simply because the less there is to go wrong and or worry about with a CCW, the better IMO.

josh2415

Bearcat
Thanks all for the feedback, and for letting me vent. I like the LC9 and agree that it should be a good seller for Ruger - just bummed that it doesn't have an ambi safety.